1894 "trapper" VS 24" (for those who have shot both)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

1894 "trapper" VS 24" (for those who have shot both)

Post by adirondakjack »

The title pretty much says it. I have a pair of 24" octagon 1894s in .45, both of 'em modified to run my Cowboy .45 Special. Since the short rounds allow oodles of magazine capacity (17+1), and since my primary purposes (CAS and woods carry) don't require more than 10+1, I'm considering chopping one of the barrels to 16.5", which would still comfortably hold 10+1 (maybe 11+1 with the right bullets).

My question, for those who have the really short rifles and the long ones, how does the handling differ? Since this is an octagon BBl, I'm thinking it still would have a bit of heft to it, but not nearly what it has now. I'm hoping the balance point wouldn't move too far back (more tail heavy than a 20"round pipe???) Might compare with a 20" round bbl??? Thoughts? I'm thinking the shorter sight radius won't hurt much for CAS (really short range mostly), and the rifle might be faster handling???

What say you all?
Certified gun nut
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1894 "trapper" VS 24" (for those who have shot both)

Post by TomF »

I have 16 and 24 inch 30-30s and 357s. I like the forward weight of the long barrels be nothing carries better than a short tube. Truth be known, the short barrels are accurate and I shoot them more than my 24"ers. I have considered having a Marlin CB 30-30 made and cutting it to trapper length but can't justify the funds just now. Trappers are great truck guns and point/click very well.

TomF
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would try to handle a shortie before shortening yours, as someone used to a long, heavy barrel may find themselves overcompensating or over powering the handling of the lighter/shorter barreled rifle.

greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

I used to have a 1894 trapper with 16 1/2" round barrel in 30-30 and I thought it kicked too hard. Something you might want to think about.
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack,

I have a Win 94AE Trapper with the thin lightweight 16" barrel.
I also have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with the 20" octagon barrel.
And years ago I had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with the long 24" barrel.
All three are / were .45 Colt.

Here is what I've found from shooting them.
The Winchesters light barrel is too light when the magazine is empty. The gun does not balance well. I find myself having to compensate for the lack of weight out front. When the magazine is full it's great.

The Marlin 1894 with the 24" octagon barrel was very well balanced with the magazine full or empty. And it swung and pointed nicely. But for everyday use I found it awkward.

The Marlin 1894 with the 20" barrel is the cats meow. It does everything the other two do, and does so with ease. No compensating for the lack of forward weight, and no feeling of awkwardness due to excess length.

Now if my 16" 94AE Trapper had a bull barrel like the later ones, or even better an octagon barrel it would be just dandy. That extra weight would balance it out really nice. I suspect the Marlin 1894 would balance even better given it has a shorter lighter receiver.

Those are my experiences and opinions ... for what they are worth.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Joe, I'm thinking right along the lines you are. the Octagon pipe ought to give it enough heft to be OK with the short barrel. Besides, since CAS generally requires 10 round capacity, and most folks don't have rifles set up for the short rounds, it'll be quite the "different" piece, drawing attention to itself, and of course to the short ammo (my project). I think I'm gonna go for it as soon as deer season is over (my kid's carrying that rifle) ;)
Certified gun nut
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have a trapper in 45colt also and have to agree with some of the points that Joe stated. As a woods rifle the 16 1/2" bbl cant be beat it is light easy to carry through thick stuff and shoulders quick. It could only be made better by having the extra bit of heft that an octagonal bbl would provide. I say do it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

AdirondakJack: see what Pette44ru said about hefting a shorter rifle before reaching for the hacksaw.

I dislike cutting back an OEM barrel if there is nothing wrong w/ it. I wonder if it wouldn’t be more practical to buy a replacement barrel & magazine tube, then cut & fit, etc. I realize that doing this is not as economical as bobbing the original barrel & magazine tube.

That way if down the road you (or the next owner/shooter) decide you don’t care for the shorter barrel, it is an easy fix to replace the OEM barrel.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

i have a 30-30 and 45colt trapper and thay are the most used rifles i own thay balence just fine for me
do kick a bit more thow
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ray, I hear ya.

I figure it's OK to bob this one to 16 1/4"
so long as this one stays the full 24"

As far as the next owner, well, they won't be complaining to me, at least not in this life, because I'llbe gone ;)

As far as practicality is concened, there is nothing practical about R&R the barrel on an 1894 to begin with. Most smiths won't even touch that job (lacking a proper barrel wrench), so I'd have to send it out, and of course pay for another barrel. As it is, I have a little Sherline milling machine to cut the dovetails for the sight and mag tube mount, and will use the time-honored drill press and fly cutter method of squaring up the cut muzzle (and mag tube). I'll stop by my LGS and have my buddy dab a little cold blue on the new crown and lets see, have zero dollars in the project.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack,

I've got some sight work that needs to be done on my Win 94AE Trapper. You know my luck with sight work :( . Anyway, I'm wondering how hard it would be to find an octagon barrel and all the hardware and just convert it? That would be a really neat short little thumper. And it would balance better too.
Another project just got added to my list of guns to tinker with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I dunno, Joe. ya might eep an eye out on auction arms, numrich, etc. That stuff does come and go,but nver when I need it ;)
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:I dunno, Joe. ya might eep an eye out on auction arms, numrich, etc. That stuff does come and go,but nver when I need it ;)
Yep, or when there's extra funds available to buy it.

Joe