Lets see you best(worse) hunting attire.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
maddog
Levergunner

Re: Lets see you best(worse) hunting attire.

Post by maddog »

Wool underneath carhart jacket, and bibs.

Mad Dog
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

Just about to go out squirrel hunting in New England after a night of raining (11/14/08) - orange vest not put on yet, still by the jeep. The temps were well over 60 degrees just a week ago. Now it' below freezing :(

Later in the day (Marlin 39A - shooting short ammo ):
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

336A wrote:Here is mine, I opt for insulated coverall as it is a tad cold here.
What neck of the woods are you in to have such snow falling already? New England?
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I'm in upstate NY right next to Canada. We don't have snow on the ground yet this year, but those pics were taken 2 years ago about this time of year. This year has been cold however, today we had a high of 32 degrees.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Summer: (Hondo - on a Texas Leverguns Safari)

Winter: (Mississippi - with some stylish surplus camo chemical-suit bdu's)

And WCF3030 are you a chef? :lol: If so, that would explain those pants :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cousin Cathie guiding a friend on an moose hunt. Notice her 45-70 Marlin in the bushes to the right and behind a few bushes.

Here she is with her antelope earlier in the year.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

plain old surplus coveralls unless its really cold then i break out the insulated (fancy) camo ones
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

#*!!*%## bluebird weather!

The Leck camp, Wildcat Mountain in Denning, NY November 1975

Absent friend "Doc" Kidder in eclectic mix - origins unknown, and yours truly in Woolrich shirt and breeches (They lace up on the inside of the calf.) The shirt wore out, but the britches are as good as new. Pays to buy the good stuff...

Lost all my hunting companions. The last one lives in New Hampshire. Might as well be the back side of the moon... The above shot was taken a few months after my father died, and Doc ( a DDS in real life) died several years ago.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Now there are some fellas who know how to dress for deer season!! 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I hunt sambar deer down here in Victoria with a good mate of mine.

I wear the German army flecker style uniform. It blends in really well with the Australian bush and is also cheap! I just returned from a hunting trip during my leave, on sunday on which my mate gave me a gortex flecker waterproof jacket! It rained for ages during this recent hunting trip and I put it to very good use!

I also wear a Huntech blaze orange beanie that I take off for photos ;)

The frist pic is me and Eric ready to head off in different directions, thats me on the left and Eric on the right with the hat on.

The second pic is me with my one and only sambar. I am wearing the heavier cold weather flecker jacket which does the job, the scrim around my neck works well too and is only about $5 Aus for 2 m of it. It works well wrapped around your face too if you wanted to really blend in!

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

airedaleman wrote:#*!!*%## bluebird weather!

Absent friend "Doc" Kidder in eclectic mix - origins unknown, and yours truly in Woolrich shirt and breeches (They lace up on the inside of the calf.) The shirt wore out, but the britches are as good as new. Pays to buy the good stuff...

Lost all my hunting companions. The last one lives in New Hampshire. Might as well be the back side of the moon... The above shot was taken a few months after my father died, and Doc ( a DDS in real life) died several years ago.
Mike, you look just like the guy on the cover of the late 1950's Marlin catalog!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Some great pictures guys. I am sure they bring back some memories for you.

Not to get sidetracked, but I would like to know what you have read or researched on the following. Obviously, blaze orange does not spook deer. I have been told and read that deer do not see in color, they see in hues. They see a range from white to grey, then to black. I have also read somewhere (and I need to remember where) that during WWII the Japanese prefered snipers who where truly color blind (like deer). I remember the research stating that they could pick out camo patterns very easily - it stood out for them if you will.

I once had the opportunity to talk with a father/son hunting team who were truly color blind. The wife had told me that her husband laughed when he saw someone wearing camo. He had a little trouble trying to describe to me what he was seeing, but he did stand by his statement that camo really stood out to him.

Now, I am not anywhere near color blind, but I am color stupid. There is black, white, brown, red, yellow, green and such as that. I don't have a clue what some of those fancy named colors are, because I am color simple. In other words, I don't care.

I have spent most of my life hunting animals and a good part of it hunting men (game warden) in the woods. My experiences have been that I spot them based in the following order. Any dark clothing, shape (appearance/outline), movement, eyes (yes I am not joking), smell, sound and to a lesser degree reflection. I am not a fan of cover scents and will always wish to meet the bright gentleman who came up with the idea of selling a dirt (smelling) cover scent to hunters.

Myself, I don 't have any pictures of my hunting outfits. I wear worn out jeans or old green pants. My shirt is usually a light green or plaid type. My hat is probably the most important and it must not be light/dark in color nor have a profile. I never stare at a deer/hog/man or anything else.

Now, having said that. I do think the new digital patterns may be on the right track.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Airedaleman: Denning NY. Had to look on the map for its location as it sounded familiar. Close to where my family is from --North Branch & Fremont Center/Obernburg NY area -- about 20 miles east of Calicoon.

Thanksgiving holiday weekend was the big hunting weekend -- everyone “came home” to the farms. My nephew is the only one left who still hunts the Newman family farms, hopefully his son will carry on the tradition. All the rest are gone.

Thanks for making me remember....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

marlinman93 wrote:
airedaleman wrote:#*!!*%## bluebird weather!

Mike, you look just like the guy on the cover of the late 1950's Marlin catalog!
Vall, God help the poor guy on the Marlin catalog. I can only hope it's the clothing and not the face. (Not familiar with that
period of Marlin catalogs. My attention was diverted about then to a comely young lass named Mary, who became Mrs Leck in 1960.)
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Ray Newman wrote:Airedaleman: Denning NY. Had to look on the map for its location as it sounded familiar. Close to where my family is from --North Branch & Fremont Center/Obernburg NY area -- about 20 miles east of Calicoon.

Thanksgiving holiday weekend was the big hunting weekend -- everyone “came home” to the farms. My nephew is the only one left who still hunts the Newman family farms, hopefully his son will carry on the tradition. All the rest are gone.

Thanks for making me remember....
Ray, our place was at about 2,200 feet elevation facing east on Wildcat. We came in through Claryville. We had about 40 acres, and at least 300 more to hunt on. My folks bought it in July of 1950, and my mother sold it in November or 1997. Opening day of deer season was a must, and like you the Thanksgiving weekend had everyone at the cabin Thanksgiving night. We all took some decent deer off the place, and my father shot a decent bear while I was away at school. There were two operating dairy farms bordering our place, and I shot a passel of woodchucks out of their fields. Also destroyed, when i
was a kid, dozens and dozens of antique bottles that I found while poking around old cellar holes. Line 'em on a log and mow 'em down with my Winchester pump gun. A collector would die if he had any idea of the bottles I powdered.

Haven't been in Callicoon in nearly 40 years. Last time I was there it was with a very good friend to watch the ice going out on the Delaware. Retired here to Virginia in September of 2003, and frankly I miss the mountains and clear water...