How about some jerky recipes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

How about some jerky recipes?

Post by El Chivo »

Next time I get venison (if ever!) I want to make jerky with a lot of it. Last time it took me a year to finish what I had frozen, and it was starting to get nasty. So I want to only freeze what I'll eat in two or three months.

Who knows how to make jerky?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How about some jerky recipes?

Post by Tycer »

2# Venison
1/4 c Soy Sauce
1 T Worcestershire
1 t Liquid Smoke
1/2 t Pepper
1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/2 t Onoin Powder

Marinate overnight. Better cuts make better jerky. Slice while still partly frozen.

I have used fresh onion and garlic with great success. I put all ingredients in the food processor with the fresh ingredients.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I use a dehydrator, or a drying rack(clothes rack) in front of the wood stove. Had to stop doing that, my wife did not approve of me using the clothes rack.
Anyways I cut meat into strips layer in bowl with soy sauce, dried onion, garlic, and pepper. Let sit for 6-8 hours
Then I dry for 10-12 hours. This ends up being real jerky and not the softer stuff. But it will last in a zip lock bag for months in your pack. Tastes great to boot.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I just use some soy sauce, brown sugar, & some teriyki sauce. let soak overnight in the fridge.

I've dried it different ways, some times in a dehydrator. but the best is over some hickory wood smoke if you can regulate the temp to no more than 110 F. I've also just used the same soak and strung it op on fishing line but added some black pepper to keep flies away.
AQHA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There are recepies?

I just start with Red Wine, Japaleno Juice, Wine Vinegar & Lemon Juice then go from there.

I've found that the key to a good shelf-life, sulfite-free Jerkey is to use a HIGHLY acidic marianade.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

OI, I've got to ask what is Japaleno Juice?

:twisted: Too funny. Lo es Jalapeno, si mon?
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kimwcook wrote:OI, I've got to ask what is Japaleno Juice?

:twisted: Too funny. Lo es Jalapeno, si mon?
My "normat PC (a subnotebook) is in for warrantee repair, so I'm typing on an unfamiliar keyboard.

That and I'm sick as a dog. Pleas don't expect too much from me. ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I use salt and coarse pepper and just dry it. If in the country, I hang it up with string. If back home, I use a dehydrator.

TomF
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I make mine using:

Salt, pepper, Tabasco, quite a little Worcestershire, some Soy sauce, garlic salt, and brown sugar. I have never measured this concoction out. I just make enough to cover up how ever much meat I'm going to dry. Some times I do put some liquid smoke in there too, but not when I'm using my smoker.
I've smoke it using green sagebrush and it works well and gives a different flavor. But my favorite is the Alder trees that grow along my creeks. The Indians around here favored it for smoking fish and venison, and I think its the best too.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I use Shoyu (Kikkoman or Yamasa) brown sugar, liquid smoke, and allot of black pepper, I like my jerky peppery. About a 2 to 1 ratio shoyu to sugar and a teaspoon of liquid smoke to every cup of marinade, black pepper to taste, a couple shots of your favorite hot sauce to taste.
I do oven jerky, easy and fast. Wrap bottom rack with foil to catch the drips and put on lowest level of oven, set top rack on highest level. Cut all pieces no longer than the distance between the 2 racks. After soaking the meat strips for no longer than 30 minutes (I don't like overwhelming favor) shake off excess marinade then place a toothpick thru one end of meat strip and let it drop between the grates the toothpick being the stopper allowing the meat to hand vertical without touching the bottom foil covered rack. You can really load up the top rack this way with meat just making sure non of the hanging pieces are touching. Now set your oven to the very lowest heat setting then put something like a wood block to keep oven door ajar just barely open to let excess evaporating moisture from the drying jerky to escape. I'll do this in the evening and by morning I have perfectly dried out jerky ready to eat. :D
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

For ground meat Jerky:

Ed’s Jerky Recipe
1lb Ground Meat
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Red Pepper
4 Tblesp Water
2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 tsp Cholua Hot Sauce (not Tobasco)
1 tsp Hickory Smoke
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Let sit overnight in a bowl in the fridge, then use a jerky squirter and put it in the dehydrator.

For Stripped Meat Jerky the recipe changes a little:

Ed’s Jerky Recipe

1lb Stripped Meat
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Red Pepper
1 Cup Water
4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 tsp Cholua Hot Sauce (not Tobasco)
1 tsp Hickory Smoke
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Worstershire
Put mixture in a good ziplock bag, add meat and mix thoroughly. Let sit 24 hrs in the fridge. Put in the dehydrator and dry.

Ed
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Cut the meat in long strips with the grain. Rub it with salt and a little pepper or some Cajun seasoning then dry it in the oven on a low temp or in a drier. You can just make it plain and it is good, but then you could make it taste like something it ain't and soak it in all those other concoctions.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I like a cured jerky, my recipe varies a lot depending on mood of the day. Generally it's a quart bowl filled an inch short of the top with rinsed, stripped meat no more than 1/4" thick. Two tablespoons of Morton Tender Quick in 2 cups of hot water, a tsp of dehydrated onion flakes, a smidge of garlic powder, a light shake of black pepper then what ever flavor I'm after. An Italian flavor would get a tsp of of oregano, tsp of parsley flakes, a half tsp of basil. Mix thoroughly, let steep for a few minutes, then pour over the meat, mix, then cover and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours. When it's ready for the dehydrator, it's rinsed twice(very important or it will be too salty) then onto the dehydrator for a few hours. I like a firm, not crisp, dried jerky so it will come off at various times as the individual pieces dry.

Refrigerate but don't freeze. Freezing seems to take a lot of taste out of it, it will keep months in the fridge(not that it ever lasts that long).
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Claude's