Lever Gun “rifle” In .357/38 spl.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Lever Gun “rifle” In .357/38 spl.

Post by cshold »

I have accumulated over 3K Rounds of .357 mag. & .38 spl. Ammo.
There is now a “need” :wink: for a companion to go with the Colt.
So help me out here guy’s; What am I looking for :?:
Is the 20” to 24” barrel better performance wise for the .357 :?:
Are the Cimarron Uberti's any good :?: what model's :?:

:)
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lever Gun “rifle” In .357/38 spl.

Post by WCF3030 »

I had a conversation with a notable gunsmith once who felt that most pistol round rifles exceeded there performance anything past a 16-18 inch barrel.
Just my 1/2 cents worth.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

20" would certainly be fine. I have owned the Uberti 73 in .44-40 not .357, the Marlin 1894, the Win. 94, the Rossi 92, and the Browning 92. While all are fine, I am partial to the Browning. Good Luck, 1886.
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

My Browning 92 in .357 is one of my favorite guns of all time - highly recommended. I have no experience with the others.

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I am exceedingly fond of the Model 1892 action so I'd recommend you try one from whatever maker you wish and can afford.

I've been quite happy with my Rossi M-92 SRC in .357 Magnum.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have the marlin 1894c in 38/357 and it's a wonderful carbine. light in hand, fast pointing, accurate and with the 38 special rounds, no recoil at all.

while not a 'powerhouse' it's certainly accurate and powerful enough to take up to deer sized game with if kept within a reasonable range.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Bullet Bob wrote:My Browning 92 in .357 is one of my favorite guns..... - highly recommended. I have no experience with the others.
+1

The B-92s in .357 don't show up near as often as the .44 mag and are more valuable. New I've seen the B92 .357 sell for as much as $1000 to $1100. You can find them for less if you're willing to wait...and you get lucky! Quality is top notch Browning, as you would expect. There is a B92 .357 on GB I saw that if you can get in the $800s would be a good buy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =116006377

(I have no dog in this auction...just passing on the listing I saw.)

Good luck!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That Browning 92 is indeed sharp lookin. :D
I will put that one on the possible buy list.

I would like to hear from someone who has a
Cimarron Uberti, I sure like the looks of
the CH and the octogon barrel on those. :wink:
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Browning? Yeah? No kidding? Who'da thunkit?

It's real easy to recommend a Cadillac even tho a Chevy will do. I don't know anyone who drives a Caddy nor anyone who hunts with a Browning. In either case I'll wager that there have been people who've had problems with both.
The Rossi's are fine, subject to ordinary problems like any piece of machinery. I've been very happy with mine as you'll find many others.
Comparing bbl lengths, yes the trappers do exhibit the most efficiency, and efficiency is great but, if you want shear performance you've got to stretch the bbl. Depending on your powder, a 24" bbl will give more velocity over a 20"carbine.
Much of how a guy falls in love with a rifle has to do with its balance and how it hangs on the target. If your fussy try them all ,if not buy one of each.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pepe Ray wrote:Browning? Yeah? No kidding? Who'da thunkit?

It's real easy to recommend a Cadillac even tho a Chevy will do. I don't know anyone who drives a Caddy nor anyone who hunts with a Browning. In either case I'll wager that there have been people who've had problems with both.
The Rossi's are fine, subject to ordinary problems like any piece of machinery. I've been very happy with mine as you'll find many others.
Comparing bbl lengths, yes the trappers do exhibit the most efficiency, and efficiency is great but, if you want shear performance you've got to stretch the bbl. Depending on your powder, a 24" bbl will give more velocity over a 20"carbine.
Much of how a guy falls in love with a rifle has to do with its balance and how it hangs on the target. If your fussy try them all ,if not buy one of each.
Pepe Ray
WOW!! I wish I had the $$$ to do just that. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I would recomend two rifles in this order:

Marlin 1894 C;
The one I had was a sweet little shooter. Accurate and reliable. It feed 38s and 357s with no problems with one exception. Certain SWCs would hang up.
I think that could have been fixed had I kept it long enough.
And, there is no lack of parts if it ever breaks.

Rossi or any 1892 Copy;
These are nice if you get a good one. Otherwise you'll pay as much in gunsmithing to make it work as the thing cost you. At least that was my experience.
I like the 92 action. Light, compact, easy to carry, quick to shoulder, points well, but no good out of the box. I may have just got a lemon.

Anyway there is my suggestion.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:Marlin 1894 C;
The one I had was a sweet little shooter. Accurate and reliable. It feed 38s and 357s with no problems with one exception. Certain SWCs would hang up.
That's my recommendation and experience. Mine is scout scoped with an XS mount and an 2X LER scope uf unremembered provenance.

I'd feel comfortable with it in the truck or around the house 50-75yds making center mass or punkin shots if needed. I suspect more practice and research into ammo would get me out to 100yds easy.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IME, no velocity is lost with a 16" barrel.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think the 92 action is the way to go in that caliber. I had NKJ (Steve) do my Rossi and it is very sweet!! easily one of my favorite rifles all time. I will be posting a range report tomorrow of mine. I went with the 20 inch to maximize velocity, rounds avail, balance. It is near perfect in a pistol caliber and it will share time afield this year with my Marlin 1893 in 30-30. I wish it was a take down.

should you not be able to decide, perhaps the easier choice would be just sell me the ammo and the pistol!!!! :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

A.K. Church wrote an informative article on the ballistics of the .357 magnum in a rifle and in his tests which were on a Handi Rifle he founds that the .357 mag uses up it's powder by the end of 16 inches and any longer the bullet actually started losing some velocity though minuscule the amount. The only real advantage to going longer would be slightly better accuracy due to longer sighting plain, and aesthetics many prefering the lines of the longer 20 to 24 inch barrels. I own a Winchester 94AE Trapper (16" barrel) that I added a XS Ghost Ring site to the receiver to increase sighting plain as well as improve quick acquisition of target in close cover. My Rossi single shot rifle which came with a 23" barrel I had shortened to 16.25 inches and this handy little rifle has accounted for the majority of game I have harvested in the past 3+ years pre & post barrel lopping.

Thank you again Scott (Salvo), Joe R., Ricky Krodle, & Tycer :wink:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have the win 1894 Ranger Compact in .357. Sights are spot-on from the box. Likes everything from 110g jhp to 185g hard cast. Handy as can be. And much cheaper than the 1892s, which are my favorite pistol cal lever action. Don't pass one by if you find a good deal, you can always turn it when the 1892 shows up.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I think the 92 action is the way to go in that caliber. I had NKJ (Steve) do my Rossi and it is very sweet!! easily one of my favorite rifles all time. I will be posting a range report tomorrow of mine. I went with the 20 inch to maximize velocity, rounds avail, balance. It is near perfect in a pistol caliber and it will share time afield this year with my Marlin 1893 in 30-30. I wish it was a take down.

should you not be able to decide, perhaps the easier choice would be just sell me the ammo and the pistol!!!! :lol:
Indeed looking forward to you'r range report. :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I like 92's old and new. A Rossi .357 carbine will be a pleasure to shoot and carry. I sure do like mine, don't know about all the trouble some folks talk about, probably Ford and Chevy talk.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Biggest advantage of the 20" over 16" is Sight Plane & it will hold 11+1 .357...

24" is too long to be handy IMO.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think my 20 inch only takes 10+1. I will have to go check.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:I think my 20 inch only takes 10+1. I will have to go check.
If it has the NKJ Steel follower it will take 11+1.

If you still have the OEM plastic one, you will still be 10+1. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I use a Marlin 94 for my "walking and ridin around" rifle .... 10+1 .357 mag... 18" barrel seems to shoot better than I do out to 80 yards or so.

I am eyeing a 'W73 clone Ubererti ... made up like a sporting rifle. Those are very nice rifles.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have the NKJ follower in it, will have to verify this
Mike Johnson,

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

First off unless you want to stick to 38 Special power level get a M92 copy. The 73's including the new M73 357'sare not suited for high pressure rounds. In a good M92 copy you should be able to get a 158 grain bullet up to 1800 fps with no trouble. The actual difference between a 16" tube and a 20" tube with IMR 2400 powder will be about 25 fps so most of your velocity is gained in the 16" tube. The main difference will be how your eyes deal with the sights. My old (1970) Rossi prefers heavier bullets and I get my best accuracy at 100 yards with 150 or above bullets.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

KCSO wrote:First off unless you want to stick to 38 Special power level get a M92 copy. The 73's including the new M73 357'sare not suited for high pressure rounds. In a good M92 copy you should be able to get a 158 grain bullet up to 1800 fps with no trouble. The actual difference between a 16" tube and a 20" tube with IMR 2400 powder will be about 25 fps so most of your velocity is gained in the 16" tube. The main difference will be how your eyes deal with the sights. My old (1970) Rossi prefers heavier bullets and I get my best accuracy at 100 yards with 150 or above bullets.
LET US NOT FORGET THE UBERTI '73 RIFLES AND CARBINES IN 357MAG HAVE TO PASS CIP PROOF IN EUROPE AND THAT IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN SAAMI PROOF. MY CIMARRON 357 '73 EASILY SHOOTS FACTORY 357MAG-158gr BULLETS AT 1800fps DEPENDING ON THE MANUFACTURER AND THE LOAD. IT ALSO TAKES THE 357MAG-125gr JHP VARMINT LOADS [ TWO OR FOUR LEGGED...] TO WELL OVER 2200fps WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
PawPaw
Levergunner

Post by PawPaw »

I've got a Marlin 1894 and I'm perfectly happy with it.

If I were looking for a Model 92, I'd call Steve Young in Port Arthur, TX and see what he had on the block.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

My vote is the Winchester 92 action - either Browning and/or Rossi/Puma
I also like the balance of the 18-20" barrel over the 16" or 24" ones...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:I have the NKJ follower in it, will have to verify this
I couldn't find Marlin and Rossi followers on his website; how much were they, and how do you get them; I'd like to update both my Rossi and Marlin guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

KCSO wrote:First off unless you want to stick to 38 Special power level get a M92 copy. The 73's including the new M73 357'sare not suited for high pressure rounds. In a good M92 copy you should be able to get a 158 grain bullet up to 1800 fps with no trouble. The actual difference between a 16" tube and a 20" tube with IMR 2400 powder will be about 25 fps so most of your velocity is gained in the 16" tube. The main difference will be how your eyes deal with the sights. My old (1970) Rossi prefers heavier bullets and I get my best accuracy at 100 yards with 150 or above bullets.
:o So you'r saying the 180gr. Buffalo Bore .357's would be out of the question for use in a UBERTI 1873 RIFLE :shock:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike Johnson,

slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

casastahle wrote:
:o So you'r saying the 180gr. Buffalo Bore .357's would be out of the question for use in a UBERTI 1873 RIFLE :shock:
The uberti 73's are rated for saami pressure spec. ammo. Unless Buffalo Bore states that their ammo is greater than saami spec. or they specify that it is for certain firearms only, I would think you would be o.k. Please see Mr. Murbach's reply above. The man has probably forgot more about guns and ammo than most of us will ever know! The only 73 I ever owned was an Uberti in 44-40, and all I ever shot through it were std. pressure rounds. I currently own Puma 92's in both 357 and 454, and feel comfortable with any sane loads in them.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

There a number of these on gunbroker.

I have one and it's a great rifle. Very strong lock up on the action and very accurate.

Also can easily handle a scope if you have the inclination... or a nice XS peep.

Or if you want a little more "class" - Marlin cowboy Ltd...

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I checked. NKJ steel follower installed and 12 rounds of 180 grain .357 ready to spit death. :D
Mike Johnson,

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Terry Murbach wrote:
LET US NOT FORGET THE UBERTI '73 RIFLES AND CARBINES IN 357MAG HAVE TO PASS CIP PROOF IN EUROPE AND THAT IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN SAAMI PROOF. MY CIMARRON 357 '73 EASILY SHOOTS FACTORY 357MAG-158gr BULLETS AT 1800fps DEPENDING ON THE MANUFACTURER AND THE LOAD. IT ALSO TAKES THE 357MAG-125gr JHP VARMINT LOADS [ TWO OR FOUR LEGGED...] TO WELL OVER 2200fps WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
Everyone states the 73 action is not strong but Mr. Murbach is quite correct. 1886.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Early Rossi carbine worked over by Steve Young /NKJ.
Love this thing!
Action is slicker than snot on an ice flow! And new sights.
One of my favorites.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I sure wish I still had this one. :(

I bought this one new back in 79 when I was a senior in high school. (K-Mart $125.00)
Wish I still had that Weaver K1.5 scope as well. :(
O well, chalk it up to young and dumb. :roll: Traded it in on hummm!! :?
I don’t even remember what, sometime in the late eighties.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Oh, wait - revise my previous - I think the cowboys are chambered for 38 spcl... that won't do will it?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have shot 73's loose with warm loads and I have had split cases dump a lot of gas in my face so I reserve my 73's for less strenous duty. On the other hand my 1970's vintage Rossi has digested thousands of full power 357's and many thousnads more of 38 specials. I feel safer with the larger breech block and the stronger rear locking lugs.

As to 73's in 357 that seems to be a recent innovation and I am frankly wondering how they will stand the test of time. My 92 has shot a lot of the old Norma 357's that went 1500 from a revolver so I trust it, Time will tell how modern steels hold up to the 357 in it's current 73 incarnation. The 357 of the early days is a different animal all together and I don't think any of the old Norma or Winchester loads would slide by SAAMI today. And just for the record THEY were too hot for even the original M92's.

Bottom line is get what YOU wan't but I would still recommend a M92 over a 73 if I were going to want to shoot a lot of heavy loads.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

The 20" barrel Marlin Cowboy does come in .357, and I love mine. With the XS sights installed it is very fast and accurate.