New Here !!! I want to buy a lever in 44 mag. Help !?!?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzzly
Levergunner

New Here !!! I want to buy a lever in 44 mag. Help !?!?

Post by Grizzzly »

Hi Guys, I hunt the Adirondack Mountains in NY every year & I am looking into buying a leveraction in a .44mag. I would like any input as to what brands are the best & what to look for. I would like a very durable, lightweight gun possibly in stainless steel. I might even possibly like a custom gun built & modified (sights, stock, lever, etc.) But not sure what is really necessary. I like the looks of the Marlin 1894 & the winchester 94's. I've heard the older winchesters were dangerous ??? safety issues ??? Any help would be appreciated & contact info for recommended custom gunsmiths. Thanks alot , John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Re: New Here !!! I want to buy a lever in 44 mag. Help !?!?

Post by cjm135 »

The 94's are great from either manufacturer. I haven't heard of any safety issues except the earlier models don't have the cross bolt safeties. Standard iron sights are all that are needed. The ballistics range of a 44 mag is about 100-125 yards maybe 150. Where you are at I don't think you'll get much more than a 100 yard shot anyhow. Scopes can be added if needed. I don't have a recommendation for a Gunsmith but I'm sure there are a few members here with a good source and suggestions.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Go to this site and buy a tuned '92 from Steve.
The only way to go wrong is if you do not follow directions.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If you want Stainless - and don't want to search/pay a fortune looking for one of the limited number of Stainless Marlins out there, then absolutely go fo the Rossi M92... preferably tuned by Steve Young, as mentioned above, but a Rossi (Puma/EMF-Hartford) anyway.

The Rossi Stainless guns are available in a couple of barrel lengths & configurations - including pre-scoped (Puma) with a scout-mount scope.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It's hard to argue with any of those 3 options but IIRC the Rossi is the only one in stainless. I have a Win 94 carbine, Win 94 Legacy rifle and would like a Marlin (since I prefer Marlins but that's another story :wink: ).

I'll give you a word of advice though. While many (most?) will feed the .44S as well, DO NOT try to hunt with it that way! Let's just say I found myself a mite embarrassed at the last Leverguns Hunt. Just trust me on this one... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've never heard of any safety issues with any age of the 44mag Win94s.

The Marlins and Win94s are all equally reliable and durable.

There's not much you need for hunting as far as modifications go . If you can see well and can shoot well either one will work great.

If you need a scope, all Marlins and Win 94 Angle Ejects accept them. Both accept peep sites.

If you want synthetic stocks mounted (cuts the weight down about 1/2 lb or more) Ramline makes them for both models.

If you want stainless you could buy a Rossi or a Marlin.

Forgot to add, there are large loop levers available for all three makes as well.

I have absolutely no experience with the Rossi, but you've got several recommendations from those that have. I only have Win94s and Marlins.

Here's my favorite, a Win94 Trapper. Not stainless but a Metalife hard-chrome plating. (I love this thing :D )

Last edited by meanc on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My '94 Trapper has taken 13 Whitetail, 1 Black Bear, and one Bull Elk up in the Bitter Roots aside the Clark Fork. 44 Mag
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to a great bunch of leverlovers and shooters. I think that all of the rifles mentioned are good but you owe it to your self to talk to Steve about one of his tuned 92's. Alot of us here have done some business with him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Winchesters are out there if you can find them (used), but generally expensive. I'm not convinced that they can do anything the Rossi/Puma 'clones' can't do just as well. Marlin 1894's ARE available in stainless if you look around a bit (new) as are the Puma's.

They both go 'bang' and will hit what you shoot at and put it down for the count.

If you really like scopes (mostly in deer hunting the advantage is in dawn/dusk light, you can see things MUCH better with the right scope) get a Marlin. If you like open/buckhorn sights, either Marlin or Puma is fine. If you want to install a Williams aperture, the Marlin is pre-drilled, but it is easy to do the Puma yourself (I put a nice scratch on mine though, but I'm a tool-klutz :oops: ) or I'd think cheap to hire it done at a gunsmith.

If you aren't sure which site you want, or which gun, either borrow and shoot some, or if you get the Marlin you have the most sight options, and unless you reload weird ammo, it will feed just fine.

Blued saves you maybe $50, but in rain/drizzle it is nice to have stainless.

Also - .45 Colt will do about anything .44 Mag will do, if you come across one of these guns in that chambering.
And .357 is darned close, but maybe deer-lethal to 75 yards vs. 125, from what others seem to say.

Oh yeah - just about everybody HATES the Puma safeties, because a) many hate the concept of safeties on an exposed-hammer gun as redundant, and b) they seem flimsy and prone to accidental setting or unsetting. On the Marlins, "a)" applies, but at least they are well-made and positive. Numerous on-line articles describe ways of dealing with both types of safeties. My preference is towards Marlins, and I don't mind the safety, but I'm in the minority.

You can find SOME Puma .44's and .45's with 'tube-loader' ports like .22's have, which makes them easier to unload quickly and safely when you cross a road, get in a car, or come in the house.

I just got a Ruger 96/44 from another forum member, and it uses a detachable box magazine, which I REALLY like, plus the stock comes off quickly and in one piece, making after-rain cleaning a snap.

Here's how you have to scope the Pumas, or use a 'scout' scope up on the barrel.

I scope Marlin's like this, so I can use the barrel-mounted peep in bright light or if it is raining.

But THIS is the peep-only setup I like best - on a Marlin.

I mount it on the forward holes rather than the rear - it doesn't stick out back of the receiver, and I only lose a bit of sight radius. I keep it in 'ghost ring' configuration.

Here's a blued one that someone here on the forum is selling - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=11856
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There's a great Marlin in the classifieds right now. I can vouch for TNBigBore as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:...And .357 is darned close, but maybe deer-lethal to 75 yards vs. 125, from what others seem to say. ...
What "others"? I've got Zero problems with 100yds and a good 180gr .357... cratered a buck at 110 in fact.

The 75-100yd max is only if you are using OEM type cartridges. Jump to Grizzley/Buffalo Bore/Handloads and adding 25yds is no problem. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:...And .357 is darned close, but maybe deer-lethal to 75 yards vs. 125, from what others seem to say. ...
What "others"? I've got Zero problems with 100yds and a good 180gr .357... cratered a buck at 110 in fact.

The 75-100yd max is only if you are using OEM type cartridges. Jump to Grizzley/Buffalo Bore/Handloads and adding 25yds is no problem. :wink:
That's just 'cuz you're such a better shot than us normal people... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Gotta compensate for being a noisy klutz somehow... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:What "others"? I've got Zero problems with 100yds and a good 180gr .357... cratered a buck at 110 in fact.

Gotta compensate for being a noisy klutz somehow... :wink:
That's why they made Uzis... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Nobody mentioned the browning 92. I have had this one a long time but somehow never shot it but a few rounds. Almost forgot about it. I am gonna dig it out and give it a workout.

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Nobody mentioned the browning 92
They're just too far and few between that they don't get much press.

But, when you're ready to almost forget about it again, I'll gladly make sure it stays in great condition for you. I'll even send you pics from time to time :D
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

No, send it to me; I will give it a good home in NM.
Far off the beaten path, and safe from liberals.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! Hard to go wrong with either a Marlin or a Winchester or Winchester clone such as the Puma. The Henry Big Boy tends to be a bit heavy for hunting, though some folks like them. Good luck!
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I have this Browning B92 for sale for $650.00Image0. It's in 44 Mag and unfired. If interested contact me at bmyers5229@bellsouth.net
Reqards,
Windjammer
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I have both the Marlin 1894 and Pum 92 (stainless) in .44 Rem. Mag. The Marlin is easily scoped. The Puma 92 is lighter and just feels better in my hands. Two things about the Puma 92 that haven't been mentioned. Until recently (like in the past couple of months), the Pumas were overbored, which affects accuracy. If you buy a new one from one of the mail order places online or from a high volume retailer, it will probably be the latest model. Or just buy one from Steve's Gunz already slicked up and he will make sure it has the proper bore. He can also customize your sights and remove the cheezy safety.

The other thing about the Puma 92 to consider is the curved steel butt plate. It looks really cool, just like the original Winchester 92, but in .44 Rem. Mag in such a light gun, it will turn my shoulder to hamburger after 15-20 rounds. When hunting that is not a big deal, but at the range shooting from a bench rest it makes a difference. I have resorted to using a Past recoil pad under my shirt at the range.

I odrered some .432" and .433" cast bullets to try in my overbored Puma. I hope these improve the accuracy. I will load some up this weekend and try them out next week. For what it is worth, my brand new Marlin 1894 is also overbored, just not as bad as my Puma. The Marlin slugged at .4315" and the Puma at .433". Both should be .429".

As far as using the offset scope mount on a Puma 92 in .44 Rem. Mag. a word of advice. Don't. I tried it and the heavy recoil loosens the mount quickly. The scout scoped model from Puma would be the way to go if you need a scope. I sure do need one with my old eyes :shock: .
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Then again, you could avoid the bore issues with a Rossi by gettin' the stainless .45Colt version. In the '92 clone you get all the versatility of .452 bullets and can hotrod it up with .44Mag equivalent loads... AND... the .020" bigger hole is likely to make a HUGE difference in lethality. :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

66GTO wrote: As far as using the offset scope mount on a Puma 92 in .44 Rem. Mag. a word of advice. Don't. I tried it and the heavy recoil loosens the mount quickly. The scout scoped model from Puma would be the way to go if you need a scope. I sure do need one with my old eyes :shock: .
True. I never have gotten used to scout scope setups (although I like peeps mounted way up there in 'scout' position - go figure!), but you can see from the photo that the Puma I scoped has a really long barrel, and I mounted a short and light scope on it (in fact - replaced it with an even smaller one recently) so as not to torque the mount too much.

One thought - get BOTH Marlin and Puma (you already indicated you might 'customize' them so evidently planned on some cash outlay). Then sell the one you decide you like least after shooting both.

Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Try this link. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... &sk=t&sd=a

I bought my Marlin 1894SS and I love it! I sometimes regret not buying a blued version since the stainless does not look as authentic, but then I realize I bought the gun to bang around in the woods with. It gets rained on and sometimes I don't clean it immediately after shooting and it forgives my lack of attention without complaint.

Good luck with your purchase!
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I love my Winchester Trapper in .44 mag. But to my knowledge, Winchester doesn't come in stainless. But that Trapper length sure is handy and feels nice to the shoulder.

I don't think there is much difference in price between the rifles -- Win, Marlin, and Rossi will all run you $450-600. That's a nice price on the earlier post for the B92 (however, all funds went recently to the Obamanation buy-it-now-while-you-can sale). On another board, I even saw a Marlin for under $400. If you look, you can find them.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail