Nov 10 1775

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Nov 10 1775

Post by JReed »

I know this is a day late but I was at a cake cutting ceremony until late last night.

Happy 233 Birthday Marines Semper Fi!

For those unfamiliar The Continental Congress decreed that there would be formed a Corps Of Marines on November 10th 1775. Since that time Marines across the globe take time to honor the birth of our Corps. Weather it is a big formal afair or just a couple of Marines out in the field some where we take time to remember that wich has made our Corps great and to honor the sacrifices of our fellow Marines.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Nov 10 1775

Post by airedaleman »

And here's to another 233 (at least)!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Happy belated Birthday Brother...hope you enjoyed. Congrats on picking up Gunny :)

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/holiday/ ... sc=gdp1116
Semper Fi
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Jarhead wrote:Happy belated Birthday Brother...hope you enjoyed. Congrats on picking up Gunny :)
Well I havent pinned yet should be March April time frame.
You want to hear something funny? We did a small cake cutting last night only 6 active duty Marines and about 30 old Marines. Out of the active ones I was the oldest @ 34 years old :o I thought it would be a few more years before I got one of the first peices of cake.

Did you know that the CEO of GoDaddy is a Marine?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

As an aside, I tied to enlist in early 1959. A heart murmur (artifact from a childhood bout with rheumatic fever) kept me out. It has always been one of my great regrets. Again, a belated Happy Birthday to the Corps!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

JReed wrote:
Jarhead wrote:Happy belated Birthday Brother...hope you enjoyed. Congrats on picking up Gunny :)
Well I havent pinned yet should be March April time frame.
You want to hear something funny? We did a small cake cutting last night only 6 active duty Marines and about 30 old Marines. Out of the active ones I was the oldest @ 34 years old :o I thought it would be a few more years before I got one of the first peices of cake.

Did you know that the CEO of GoDaddy is a Marine?
Yes, I knew that about the CEO. Yea, a 34 year old Marine was an "Old Man" when I was a 19 year old Squad Leader. :lol:
Heck, my Platoon Commander was 23 and I thought he was old back then. Funny how that works... :)
Time marches on Brother...I never thought I'd be a senior citizen either :lol:
Semper Fi
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you Airdale.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
danthegunman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by danthegunman »

Thanks to all my Corps buddies out there!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin
Call Before You Shoot!

http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Semper Fi Marine's and Happy 233 a day late. Also Thank you to all of the other vet's out there on this veterans day.
I do remember when I was 19 in the First Gulf War, I thought anyone that was over the age of 24 was ancient.
Funny how that works. Semper Fi

USMC CPL 1990-1994.
Desert Storm vet.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

November 10th., 1775: the Continental Congress authorized two battalions of Marines. The rest is history.

& to all my past & present Fellow Marines, I'll also add my greetings.

For those who often heard of &/or lamented that they never served in the Ol' Corps, let me say:

The Old Corps; the Old Corps.
There never was anything such as the Ol' Corps.

As Tunn's first Marine sneered when the second appeared,
"It's not like it was back in the Ol' Corps"....

Semper Fidelus!

Raymond C. Newman
Late, Sergeant, USMC '64-68
RVN service w/ E-2-12 7/65 - 3/67
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote: Out of the active ones I was the oldest @ 34 years old :o
34? Pup! :wink:

Happy Marine Corp B-day Jeremy! Thank you for your service to our country!!! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
JReed wrote: Out of the active ones I was the oldest @ 34 years old :o
34? Pup! :wink:
Yeah well :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm embarassed to say that when I was 18, I was very anti-war and anti-gun. I honestly don't know how I came to that opinion except for maybe my Dad was gone a lot when I was growing up. My Dad was a veteran of Vietnam and who served in the Navy flying A-4's off of an aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Independance for two tours). My Dad later became a commercial airline pilot based upon his flying experience and was still not home very much, but even when he was, he never talked about those days. Even when we used to sit together at home in our jacuzzi and stare up at the sky and see the satelites move over-head (you could actually see them back then), he would not talk about it much. I DO know from what he told me that he was very sad about all the friend's he lost in Vietnam who had been shot down and did not come home from the missions. It was very hard for him to talk about, but he did talk about it just a very, very little. He also talked just a hint about how hard it was to do some of the bombing missions on Asian villiages.

I sure wish I could go back and do that time period in my life all over again as I have become older and wiser and my best friend is a former Marine who initially got me involved in shooting years ago (and admits he created a monster by doing so!) My Uncle Dan, my Dad's best friend, was also in the service (that is where they met), also became an airline pilot, and has known me my whole life. I know he is very surprised at what a "firearms enthuisiast" I have become and my interest in the 375 H&H Ackley Improved and the 454 Casull calibers. He took me moose hunting in Alaska some years ago (I was back-up!), and while my Dad is long gone, I hope my Uncle and I can do it again someday soon.

So, to finish this post, and now that I'm twice as old as I was back then (plus change) I hold you, Jeremy, and my buddy Tym, my Uncle Dan, my Dad and all Marines and American service men in the highest regard.

God Bless you and your Brothers in the other services, despite the friendly competition between them, for protecting us and keeping us safe.

I don't know what else I can say, except thank you.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks Brother.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis