OT-Remington extractors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Remington extractors

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Has anyone heard of Remington having extractor problems with their new rifles? I heard from a gun dealer friend of mine that 8 of 11 new Remington rifles he's ordered have had problems and had to go back to the factory with a messed up extractor. He mentioned something about a plastic extractor.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Remington extractors

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Plastic extractor?? Sounds like a defective dealer to me! :o
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Plastic extractor????? Surely not.
NRA Life Member
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Has anyone heard of Remington having extractor problems with their new rifles? I heard from a gun dealer friend of mine that 8 of 11 new Remington rifles he's ordered have had problems and had to go back to the factory with a messed up extractor. He mentioned something about a plastic extractor.
If I am not mistaken this problem has been around for quite some time. The Remington extractor seems to be fragile and prone to breakage. I have a Model 700 BDL that broke 2 extractors and my gunsmith advised me to have the bolt modified to an AR type extractor. I did this about 10 years ago and there were many threads on the forums at the time describing the problem. This is the first I have heard of it in some time so I assumed the problem had been fixed by Remington.

Thomas
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thomas,
I've heard of this as well but I assumed it was redesigned. IIRC what is done is to drill out the factory extractor and rivet another one in place.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Early 700`s had the extractor riveted in and there were some problems. Not enough problem to keep the 700 from being the most popular rifle on the market though. That extractor is no longer supplied by Rem. as a new snap in one took its place and I have heard of no problems with it. Lots of people modify the bolt to use the Sako type extractor.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... CTOR%20KIT
I have owned several 700`s over the years with factory extractors ,and still have two ,and have had exactly ZERO problems with mine! :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

There was an article on the variations in 700 extractors this past year in either Rifle or American Rifleman. I would guess Rifle though. There are apparently three variations of the Rem 700 extractor and one was riveted. As Chuck 100 yd notes, the final solution is the Sako extractor modification.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

One of the key maintenance procedures for the Remington Model 700 and all other Remington bolt rifles is to keep the underside of the extractor clean. It is an area that accumulates tiny tiny particles of burnt powder, grime, etc..

I've had many Remington rifles over the years and never had a problem with the extractors as long as I cleaned them regularly.
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Got a 722 in the safe been going strong for how many years now?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I remember when I was taking gunsmithing classes and we got to bolt action rifles. The instructor said to be sure and keep a good suplly of extractors for the Rem. 700, as it was a money maker. Well I never bought any, and I've owned a few 70's for a lot of years, and never broke one yet. One of them is over 30 years old, and still on the original extractor.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Rusty wrote:Thomas,
I've heard of this as well but I assumed it was redesigned. IIRC what is done is to drill out the factory extractor and rivet another one in place.
Rusty,

If I am not mistaken mine was originally one of the snap in kind. I remember the first time I had trouble with it my shooting buddy and I took it out and cleaned everything up and it worked better for a short period of time. It had problems again and this time when we removed it we found it was broken. We installed a new one and it broke soon after it was installed. This was what occasioned our trip to the gunsmith who informed us that it would keep happening and my best bet was the Sako extractor. I mispoke earlier when I said AR type extractor, Chuck has his facts straight :) . I think that I had my bolt modified to the Sako extractor by Borden Rifles in Pensylvania.

Thomas
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

After a little searching, I found the extractor article for Remington bolts in Rifle magazine issue of November 2007. Apparently there were 3 types with type 2 being riveted. I skimmed the article again and, as was noted here by several people, the best solution is to keep the extractor recess clean. The article also noted that the Sako claw modification was a fairly popular conversion on 700 bolts.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If you have a problem with your rem extractor, the riveted type DONT drill it out punch it out because if you miss drill the new rivet wont seat right, the procedure is to file the rivet area and use a punch the dia. of the rivet and punch thru replace and useing a anvil, you can make one, made for the job pean the rivet and file to the bolt contour and cold blue the spot. drilling can cause you to have to weld up the bolt and redrill the rivet hole. danny