New levergun - New Pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

New levergun - New Pic

Post by reo »

Picked this up this the other day for my new black, close quarters fighting rifle, :D before the new president outlaws real guns. I have always wanted this rifle, in my dreams, I had no idea it was a production gun. 20" ROUND barrel in 45 Colt. Found it at Big 5 of all places. The As. Manager said it had been in back for a while and they just recently pulled it out. I have never seen this on Marlin's web site. (I've been looking for the last 6 or 7 years.) The only thing close I have seen was a 16.5" stainless limited run in 45 Colt and of course all of those octagon barrel's. Anyone who could comment on this would be appreciated. Thank you, reo.

Last edited by reo on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New levergun - Pic's

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thats real nice, shooting 255RF at 1100 fps is a nice effective load.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats on agreat find
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet! I didn't know they made those either - perhaps its a Davidson's or Lipsey distributor model? I've got an 1895 Marlin with 24" half round/half octagonal barrel - its a Davidson's model... does this rifle have xxx of xxxx? listed on the side? Like 150 of 1000? That would indicated a distributor run.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mannlicher
Levergunner

Post by Mannlicher »

I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Great find!
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I checked the barrel and it does not of have a serial number range for a limited run. Although, on one side it does say, Misuse can cause injury or death! I had no idea. :shock: What'll happen next? :?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice purchase, Reo! And thanks for the pics!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Every now & then the local Big5's up here sell those in .45 Colt & .44 Magnum. Like yours, w/ a round barrel.

On the ones that I examined, the stocks are not walnut, probably some kind a birch w/ a walnut stain. @ this year's SHOT Show, I asked Marlin about them. The representative said it they are fabricated for Big 5 & I think one or two other chain stores. W/ the non-walnut stock & round barrel, the production costs are lower.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Thanks for the info Ray, I think they made out well for the price I paid but it was, the one. And it goes well with my first one, the 45 Blackhawk. I think I could live in the timber very well for the rest of my time with just these two.

I forgot to add earlier that I was worried about how it would take the Keith 255 gr. I loaded ten in the magazine and cycled all of them through without a hitch. The Henry I had would only take nine and didn't function with the Keith loaded to the crimp groove. Single shot and a lot heavier.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New levergun - New Pic

Post by TedH »

That makes a dandy pair! Congratulations. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Anyone who could comment on this would be appreciated.]

Wow - You found my gun, that Big 5 lost on me ! ! Ship it here, ASAP ! ! :P :P :P :wink: :mrgreen:

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I had a Marlin 1894 just like that one, except in 44 Magnum. You've got yourself a very nice, light, portable, fast-handling rifle.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah a retailer specific model - didn't think they even did that any more - cool! And it is the perfect companion to your Ruger - both can handle the same range of loads/pressures. Ideal setup. :mrgreen:

Yep you could do quite nice with that setup and nothing else (God forbid ;) ) on the top side, that carbine will give you 1450 fps with a 300 grain bullet for 1400 ft lb.s of kinetic energy and a heckava lot more performance than that would seem to indicate on large game. Elk and moose - through and through. That's equivelent to the old 45-70 express loads.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

O.S.O.K you are a cool dude, I love your responses to posts and appreciate the responses and shop work that you share with us.

pete44ru, I tried to PM you for a home address but I couldn't figure out how, I am sorry for your loss, I must go on. :wink:

I shot the rifle today, sorry no pic's, it was right on at 50 but to the right about 3 inches with RCBS 260 +??? cast bullets and 18.5 grains 2400. From the truck, seated at about 60 yards I was a little further off to the right. Both groups were about an inch and a half.

I also shot my 30-30 Marlin 336. 150 Speer, 35 grains, H335. I know, hot, but that was the Lee manuals top load and Paco had a load listed for the same bullet at I beleive 36 grains. Anyway, after 20 rounds no problems, no high pressure signs and a sub one inch group from 60 yards just above the bullseye, I am happy, especially with those awful semi-buckhorn sights.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Congratulations!!! :D
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Real nice combo! I'm needing to get either a .44 Mag. handgun to go with my 1894 Marlin or a .357 1894 to go with my .357 Blackhawk. :lol:
JDL
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Here's the why and how on the Marlins now showing up. When Remington bought out Marlin the distributors were given the chhance to clean out all the new old stock. Marlin dug out rifles that had been briefly in production or were discontinued and sent them out the door. Cabela's bought all the Marlin repair returns at discount and throgh a buddy who manages the gun library we got a 218 Bee a 32 H and R and two 38-55 CB's. He was selling out Marlins that had been discontinued in the 1970's including several 41 mag 94's.