Gun Show Purchase & Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alamogunr
Levergunner

Gun Show Purchase & Question

Post by alamogunr »

Just got home from an area gunshow in Jackson, TN. Picked up a Marlin 336 at what I consider to be a good price ($255). Bore looks good. Threads for sling swivel in front barrel band are stripped. No big deal to me. I found after getting home that the hammer block safety has been disabled. Not sure how. I'm not concerned about it, just curious how it was done. It pushes in and out with no effect either way. Anybody got any ideas??
By the way, I guess my purchase falls under the "gunshow loophole". No tax, no BG check. Hand over the $$ and walk away with the gun. Two GOB (Good Ole Boys) had a table with a few guns.

John
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Show Purchase & Question

Post by Rusty »

The only way to disable the safety and still leave it in the gun as far as I know is to take off the stock and turn the set screw all the way in. If you do that the button will not move at all. When the safety is working normally the hammer will still drop, it just won't contact the firing pin if the safety is in the engaged position.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
alamogunr
Levergunner

Post by alamogunr »

I guess I stuck my ignorance out there for all to see. I have another 336 but have never tried to fire it with the safety on. I'm sure I've read somewhere how the safety worked but completely forgot it. I even referred to it as a "hammer block" safety. This rifle is going to get a lot more use than the other one. The other one is just too pretty to beat on. I bought this one today for the express purpose of carrying it in the truck and just shooting it when I felt the urge.
John
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I bought this one today for the express purpose of carrying it in the truck and just shooting it when I felt the urge.
Sounds like a good reason to me!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

All the reason needed!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm not sure you can leave it in, have it still move, but not work, unless you ground a notch in the CBS to let the hammer hit the firing pin in either position. If you turn the setscrew in to lock it in the fire position I don't think it will move.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/