What brand/type of .22LR ammo do you use?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

What brand/type of .22LR ammo do you use?

Post by Modoc ED »

I used to try to match what brand/type of ammo shot best in each of my .22LR handguns and long guns. As I collected various .22LR firearms, I found that I was stocking several brands/types of ammo

I then went on a quest to find one brand/type of ammo that shot well in all my .22LR firearms. Not necessarily sub-1" groups but well enough to make a clean kill shot on say a squirrel at 50-yards. I'm not talking target rounds here but rather hunting rounds.

After having fired several thousand rounds of .22LR, I have settled on Winchester Super X .22LR 40gr Hollow Point (product # X22LRPP). This ammo shoots well in all my .22LR firearms. It shoots at least 1½" groups at 50-yards (much better in most of my guns) and 2" at 100-yards.

That may not be the case for all of you. Some of you may like CCI Game Getter Solid Points or Federal Match (yes, you can use match ammo for hunting), or Remington Yellow Jackets but there should be one brand/type that shoots well/best in all your .22LR firearms.
ED
Yer never too old
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: What brand/type of .22LR ammo do you use

Post by pharmseller »

I am fortunate in that my tack driver .22, a Browning A-Bolt, shoots everything the same. My 39s also don't care what is in the pipe.
My Ruger Mk II prefers Yellowjackets.

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

A hairs breadth doesn't matter to me on accuracy. I do a lot of off hand shooting, and my handguns and several rifles in .22 seem to shoot whatever i feed them all the same. The Federasl bulk pack ammo is good enough for me. Maybe if i was killing rats out at 100 yards I'd need to know what did the best.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Winchester Super-X POWER POINT (X22LRPP), 40 grain, Lead Hollowpoint, Lubaloy coated. Highly, highly recommend to all who are looking for an accurate, all around load for any .22 lr you may own. I've found nothing else that will do as well as this!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

For general plinking/paper punching, with better than average accuracy, I use Federal 510 "Champions", Federal American Eagles, and CCI MiniMags. I avoid Remington ammo because of how filthy it is and their quality control.

For smallbore silhouette, NRA Sporter or for older Marlin's that need standard velocity ammo I use SK Standard Plus or Wolf Match Target. They're both made by the same company and are virtually the exact same ammo.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

CCI Mini Mags. I have a Slab side Ruger MKII that will put 5 of them into .25" At 25 yards. They shoot very well through most everything else I have. For general plinking, just about anything. But the CCI's are saved for making li'l tiny groups.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here'd be a good place for someone to plug Paco's Ac'urizer.

I don't have one yet, but they seem to make generic ammunition much more accurate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Here'd be a good place for someone to plug Paco's Ac'urizer.

I don't have one yet, but they seem to make generic ammunition much more accurate.
I love my Ac'urizer...

But it's only really useful in my Bolt Gun and my Revolver.

None of my autos will feed properly after using it - particularly with any but just the HP pin.

That said, at Hunting ranges and in Hunting conditions, Match Accuracy ammo is not really any more useful than generic... at least in my experience & skill level...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Re: What brand/type of .22LR ammo do you use?

Post by Hobie »

My favorite in .22 LR is Winchester PowerPoint. I like the Dynapoints when making a SGB bullet but most ammo does better so treated. I haven't had enough experience with Paco's tool but it appears to work with just about an .22 LR ammo.

I'm a fan of the .22 WRF. The flat bulleted ammo is pretty effective.

As to the .22 WRFM, it seems that every gun has very definite preferences. However, over the years the dimensional specifications of all .22 WRFM ammo seems to have become more consistent. IOW, I see less definite preference now than 20+ years ago.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My little 9422 seems good with most but I tend to use Eley 22, any will do. I do like CCi 22s too.
Rem seem inconsistant but still useable. I went off Winchester sub sonics as we seemed to have an inconsistant lot over here years ago but that was then, I would gladly buy some now to try.
I tend to steer away from hyper stuff now as when I've clobbered fox with them they don't do any better than a heavier bullet.
The Stinger is a differant story but pricey.
On a side note I shot my 9422 last night with a lamp to see how it is for zero, at 70yds (ish) offhand I threw three for three inch with Eley subs :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

CCI Mini mags is my preferred ammo. I use Blazer solids, Remington , Winchester nearly interchangeable at the distances I shoot.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I used to really prefer the Federal hp's in the bulk pack, but those got to where they shot so dirty, the 10-22 would choke after a couple hundred. Then the locals all had the Remington Golden hp's in the bulk boxes on sale, got started on those, and the 10-22 don't choke so quick any more, the little brownig auto eats em just fine, the Bearcat will shoot nice tight groups and suck a prairie dog out of the hole at 50 yds, and the lowwall really likes em.

target ammo the Aquila Golden Eagle seems to shoot really well, as does the Federal Champion bulk boxes.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Every 22 lr firearm I own shoots Winchester Super X (x22lrh) good enough for hunting and informal target practice.
I have boxes and boxes of bulk pack Federal Auto Match, which shoot awesome in my 10/22.
And I have a brick of Remington Subsonic for my long barreled bolt action (very quiet).
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

For fun I buy whatever brick is the cheapest, and lately the cheapest has been the CCI Blazer bricks, plenty accurate for plinking and paper punching. For all around accuracy and reliability (especially in my little Sterling auto) I like the CCI Velocitor. I bought a brick of Remington sub-sonics and the failure rate was 25% every 4 round misfiring so I have given up on Remington 22RF loads.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I never buy Blaser. I mean, what's the point of non reloadable ammo... :evil:

errrr....wait a minute... :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

A lot of .22 ammo works well for me, particularly CCi Mini-Mags, Stingers, Win. Dynapoint, and Federal Gold Medal Match. If I had to pick one for all around everyday use for plinking and hunting, it'd be the Mini-Mag HP.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I just shoot the the Federal bulk HP stuff, It's good for about 2.875" at 50yds. I have hit birds out to 100yds with it, but that was probably a fluke though. I have some Mini-Mags and some Colibris to try when I get around to it. Maybe the 9422 will come to life with them.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

I had to look...
Aguila Supermaximum HV
Aguila Sniper SubSonic (got it cheap)
CCI Velocitor
Remington Viper

My favorite is the Viper followed by the Velocitor.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

For just plinking I use the Remington or Federal bulk packs. I find the Federal more consistant. For hunting or other serious shooting I've had good results with Winchester Super X, it shoots well out of all my .22s both rifles and handguns.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I use and buy only 3 different 22s. They all shoot excellent in every one of my 22s, not precision target accurate, but definitely minute of squirrel head a bit past 50yds.

CCI Mini Mag (RN & HP)

CCI Stingers

Fed Bulk
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

CCI Mini Mags shoot the best out of my Henry.
NRA Life Member
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Since most of mine are vintage rifles I shoot standard velocity target ammo.
Winchester T22 because it's best in my 1929 Win M52 and all the others like it too.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For general/plinking use I have always been partial to Winchester Wildcats. Remington bulk stuff always seemed to have more duds. Same with Federal. Maybe just my luck...
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I've always just bought and used what was cheapest. Currently Federal HP bulk from WM. For hunting I use CCI mini-mag HPs or Stingers.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:I never buy Blaser. I mean, what's the point of non reloadable ammo... :evil:

errrr....wait a minute... :wink: :lol:
I've actually thought that when I was absent-mindedly browsing the .22 ammo section...
:oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

My local shop sold CCI Blazer for $9 a BRICK OF 500.... What would you shoot? The guns that I own that don't like the Blazer shoot perfectly on Federal 525-round "bulk packs" in the milk carton that Walmart was selling for good prices. I don't know how much is costs - because I bought LOTS of cases at $9 for the 525 milk-carton. I have picked up a few extra bricks that I've had to pay $15 for... So I feel butt-raped. :x
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

For plinking and cheap target shooting I prefer Federal 510's and Winchester Dynapoint. They can be very accurate, but with occaisonal flyers. For more serious target work, I like Federal Gold Medal Subsonics (711b), SK Standard Plus, and Wolf Match Target at less than $5 per box. I can't bring my self to try the premium target ammo at $10-$20 per box.

My bolt action .22 is a Savage MKII BV. It'll shoot quarter size groups at 50 yds. (scoped) with the 510's or Dynapoints and dime size groups with the better ammo, if I do my part. One of these days I'll get an Anschutz and give that premium ammo a try in a rifle that can show it off.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson