Tutt Camping in the Sierra's off of Carson Pass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Tutt Camping in the Sierra's off of Carson Pass

Post by CowboyTutt »

Dear friends,

I recently got back from an overnight camping trip to Red Lake and Upper/Lower Blue Lakes off of Carson Pass Hwy 88 in Northern California just south of Lake Tahoe. It is someplace I have wanted to go camping since I first saw the place after returning home from doing the Rubicon Trail with a friend I have known for 25 years in his modified Jeep Wrangler. The trip home along Hwy 88 really captivated me and I vowed I would return someday to go off-roading and camping in my ’02 Volvo XC 70.

I found myself with a weekend to spare and I was not sure another opportunity would present itself this year before winter set in, so off I went for a weekend “get away” and “reconnaissance mission” to the area. I usually leave pre-dawn so I can enjoy the sunrise from the road and spend as much time as I can in my beloved Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in California. However, I decided to delay my departure so I could actually SEE the shores along the north side of Clear Lake on Hwy 20 in Lake County. It is very close to my home in Ukiah, CA and as I have only driven that way 2 times before, it seemed the right thing to do.

I was not disappointed with my choice.

The sun had only just cleared the local mountains when I drove past Lake Mendocino:

Here was a beautiful house on the shores of another lake in the golden light of morning:

Here was the view from Lucerne, CA along the shores of Clear Lake itself:

You can’t get to the “high country” of the Sierra Nevada’s without passing through the foothills. The drive always involves some sweeping turns along rolling golden hills it seems. Not a bad thing:

As you progress along Hwy 88 the terrain and foliage changes to classic Sierra Nevada:

As I hit the dirt trail from Red Lake which was actually somewhat technical for my Volvo (4wd or AWD recommended) I was struck by how sparse the vegetation was. I was definitely further east than I have been before and at an unusually high elevation:

As I descended back down here was my first sighting of Upper Blue Lake from the road:

Here is a view from along Upper Blue Lake on Saturday afternoon. The weather was absolutely perfect and in the low seventies:

Here is exactly what I could see from where I decided to lay down my ground tarp and place my sleeping pad and bag on. The weather was just too perfect to use a tent! I have come to prefer this sort of camping when I’m alone and it’s not excessively windy, cold or wet.

I had been collecting some large branches on the way in for firewood, and had made another trip for more wood. Thanks to my trusty saw I was ready for a good night and morning’s campfire!

I thought this view from just outside the trees of my camp site as the sun went down behind the mountains really captured the spirit of the whole trip for me, and it’s my favorite pic:

I had to leave Sunday morning as I had a long drive ahead of me. I woke up early, took some pictures of the lake, got the fire going again, and enjoyed a good strong, hot cup of percolated coffee as God intended. Later I made a hot breakfast of 4 fried eggs and a huge patty of breakfast sausage.

I continued down the road in a southwest direction along the shores of Lower Blue Lake:

As the trail I was on turned back into pavement into Hope Valley, I was thunderstruck by what a beautiful area it is. If you own a motorcycle and like to “motorcycle camp”, the way in from the other side of Hwy 88 (from Nevada) is smooth pavement and Hope Valley is just gorgeous and full of wonderful campgrounds. You could not do better, and this was not lost upon the many motorcyclists I saw on the way home that weekend!

The one picture that I am so sorry that I didn’t turn around and drive over again, just to take the picture, was along the eastern portion of Carson Pass that was full of Elm trees! White bark, yellow leaves in stark contrast to the BRIGHT greens just left me literally SHOUTING for joy! So very much like my favorite trips to Southern Utah through the Dixie National Forest. I drove the rest of the pass with the windows down, the heater on, and the sunroof open to enjoy the sights!

I stopped later for a view off the pass that paled in comparison to the elms but was also noteworthy:

If you ever have the opportunity, please take the drive over Carson Pass (named after one of my most favorite historical figures, Kit Carson! For the best biography on him, please read “Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides-a dang fine read!)

I have traveled and off-roaded over most all the passes of the Sierra Nevada’s and this is one of the very, very best of them!

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this one to Ganjiro as he's recovering from back surgery. Hope this helps to distract him.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tutt Camping in the Sierra's off of Carson Pass

Post by mescalero1 »

Thank you
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks for the pics. I always loved being up in that end of the state beautiful country.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My turn to be green with envy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looks like a wonderful time Tutt...thank your for the wonderful pics and commentary.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow, what a beautiful place to spend some time. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Tutt... sounds like you had a great time in one of our favorite places. My wife and I love camping on the north end of Upper Blue Lake and the hikes east into the Mokelumne Wilderness should not be missed.

Did you do any fishing? Some of the tastiest trout I've ever had came out of Red Lake and both Blue Lakes. Caples Lake, back over the pass, is another great place to relax!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Stew, I appreciate any advice on the area. I could not stay long as the drive home takes 5 hours. If you have any specific trails to recommend I will hit them next time (maybe even in November for Thanksgiving Break!). Caples Lake is a mess right now. It looks like someone sucked it dry with a straw! Don't know what the story there is yet but it seemed like some pipes were being constructed??

I don't fish, I'm embarrased to say. Never had anyone to teach me. But to be honest I would rather take some time to go shooting in the area. I found a good spot for next time. Again, please don't hesitate with recommendations as they would be very welcome!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Wow ! Thanks for letting us all have a look at this. That's the kinda place you could really unwind in. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Geez Tutt - how'd you get pictures of heaven without having to keel over to do it?
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

CowboyTutt, the reason capples is so low, they drained it dow about a month ago to fix the dam. They hauled off all the fish they could net and plan on putting them back when there done with the repairs. (so they say) Got some good Mac. fishing there. Ifin you came up 20 to 80 then you passed about 2 miles from me. If you took 174 to colfax and then caught 80 you were a block from me. Have roamed most of the hills along 80 and up behind truckee, and a lot of time in the hills at Tahoma on Lake Tahoe. Started running around the hills hunting and fishing all that area in the early 50's.

Gun Runner
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Gunrunner, that would certainly explain what happened to Caples! My route was 20 east to 5 south, to 50 east, to 16 south east, to 49 east, to 88 east. I will let you know next time I'm out there! Maybe you can join me for a spell!

-Tutt

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Geez Tutt - how'd you get pictures of heaven without having to keel over to do it?
+1 Fantastic country. Thanks for sharing
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Beautiful country, glad you took advantage of it!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Tutt, Thanks for posting the pics and the story to go with it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice trip and pics. Beautiful.

Now you need to come further East and explore the Warner Mountains. There is a Blue Lake here too and a really great camp ground to go along with it. If you do come, be sure to get here by mid-October as you did on your trip or you stand a good chance to be snowed in for five or six months.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Neat mini-trip Andy. :mrgreen: Another great spot (if you catch it at a time when most others have abandoned camping for the season) is the June Lake loop (CA-158). Paved, with great camping and fishing. Also, great deer hunting if the weather and season are cooperative (requires a large infusion of that rare commodity known as "luck")!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Beautiful Country,
Thank you for the reminder. In my cowboy days (more than a few years back) I spent 2 years working in the Carson Valley and spent many happy days in the upper Carson River drainage. Its nice to see that Blue Lakes and Hope Valley are still there and still beautiful.

Bob A
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Tutt...Here are some suggested trails in the area. I used to deer hunt in this zone a couple of years back, but the local herds have been hit pretty hard. I might get an archery tag for the D5 zone next season and see how things pan out.

The Granite Lake trailhead is right at the dam of Upper Blue Lake. It heads almost due west into the Wilderness area and has some nice camp spots along the way. The Indian Valley trailhead is a few miles to the SE of the Blue Lakes Basin. This one is not as popular as some of the others....which is why I like it. At Carson Pass, back on the highway, you have the Woods Lake, Meiss Lake, and Lost Cabin trails. There is, of course, the Pacific Crest Trail, too. These get crowded during the summer. In fact the parking lots along the highway will be full at times with everyone from Sacramento trying to escape the summer heat.

Then back down the road at Caples Lake, you should check out the Margaret Lake trail. This one is best in the fall after the summer crowds thin out and if you go back even further west over Carson Spur, you have the trail heads for Shealor Lake, Thunder Mountain, and Castle Point. Again, these are very popular.

Another favorite fall camp spot of mine is right on the shore of Kirkwood Lake. The turnoff is at the Carson Spur just west of Kirkwood Ski resort. It's a beautiful little lake in the fall when the aspen start turning. Make sure you visit the Kirkwood Inn just east of the ski area. Some of the best grub this side of the Rockies, in my opinion.

Just Google "Mokelumne Wilderness" and you'll find all sorts of hiking and camping resources. REI and the USFS are good resources for trail maps, topo maps, etc.

BTW...Highway 88 is one of our favorite weekend motorcycle rides. A group of us at work will spend the entire day heading up 88 towards Tahoe, ride around the lake, and head back down 50 towards the valley. Riding around Lake Tahoe is one of the bucket list rides for any motorcycle enthusiast.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff, I've actually been up to June Lake. I think we even camped their one time about year 2000. I thought about going up that way this trip, but I hadn't been to Carson Pass so.....:-)

Stew, thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can refer back to it. I was hoping to go back there in November but now that some rain is rolling in this weekend, I'm doubtful of that... :cry:

Glad I went when I did....

-Tutt