Drag Marks typical to old Winchesters?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Drag Marks typical to old Winchesters?

Post by Kansas Ed »

Ok, I have wondered this for years, but never asked. Even with a machining background I can't pin this down. Have you all noticed how many old Winchesters, especially the '86's and 95's have what looks like drag marks in the receiver moving forward to aft, and taking an angle downwards? You can never feel them, but they sure show up. Any ideas?

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Drag Marks typical to old Winchesters?

Post by Mike D. »

They are machining marks and a guarantee that the gun has not been doctored. To me they are a plus and do not lower the value one cent. Most are superficial and only evident when exposed to a camera flash or artificial light. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have heard that they are called 'Forge lines" and result from a solid block of steel being hammer forged to compress and stregnthen the steel specifically used for the receivers of older vintage Winchesters. As far as I know, it has no negative influence on the rifle's value, and like Mike D said, if you see them, you know the reciever has not been heavily buffed during a refinishing attempt.

Sean
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

When I got my 1927 SRC, I was worried about the lines in the receiver at least until I learned what they are.
Like Mike D said, they are a plus for most that know what forge lines are.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I wish I had one with lines on it :) :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I've heard the same thing about the lines being part of the forging process..It's good to finally see this topic come up and pics of some.. Here's the ones on my 73 ..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Thanks for the replys. I never thought of it as "proof of original finish" before. Good to think about. I have several with these marks, I just didn't know what caused them.

Ed
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Well heck Kansas Ed, lets see them :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

They're not "proof of original finish". They are interesting. I have 2 Win 1894's that are about 5000 numbers apart, both made in 1895. One has many of the marks. They sure look like you should be able to feel them with your fingernail, but you can't. The other, which has about all of the original blue, has none. I've heard them refered to as "striation lines". Dave
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Refinished Winchesters WILL NOT have those marks, as they will have been polished away. Those marks are a SURE SIGN that a gun has not been reblued or recolored. Unfortunately, they are most apparant on low finish guns that draw little collector interest. Guns like this appeal to me because using them as the tools that they are won't harm the "collector value". :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree Mike, they certainly are proof that the gun has not been monkeyed with! I also have been told by many Marlin collectors (Marlins have these "striations" too!) that these come from the forging process, as the lines are not straight like a machine tool would make, but wavy as metal is forged. I also agree with Lozen, they wont show on original guns with a lot of finish. I've only got a couple with the wavy lines showing, but usually they don't show until a fair amount of bluing is gone.-Vall

1881 .38-55:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

salvo wrote:Well heck Kansas Ed, lets see them :D
I'd love to, but I'd have to dig them out, ....they be buried deep :lol: :lol:

Ed
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I see the striations as defects in the finish.. I'd rather not have them... but they do confirm original finish..but so what, it still is a defect compared to a rifle that never had them.. And there are few folks out there good enough to refinish a firearm that never had them, maybe even if it had them, to where it passes for original...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is my understanding that all Winchesters made before a certain date will show striations when they reach a certain degree of wear. At least all mine have before 1924.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I know it's really nit pickey, But I'll tell you why I said "It's not proof of original finish" Not too long ago I got an SRC that had been reblued. I removed the blueing, and now It's got a more attractive, at least to me pewter look, complete with striations.