OT: My Marlin MR-7, The Rest of the Story - So far

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: My Marlin MR-7, The Rest of the Story - So far

Post by J Miller »

The sad and unhappy story of my Marlin MR-7 Birthday rifle.

As many of you might remember I received a Marlin MR-7 bolt rifle in 30-06 caliber for my birthday in August of 07. This came about because of the generosity of a forum member who wanted to do something nice for someone and read my post about wanting one. ( I can’t find the thread now to refer to it. )
The rifle got to me and it is a beautiful rifle. It had no iron sights, which I prefer, but came with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it.

Since I live in IL I didn’t get to the outdoor range at all last year. Once the winter got here I ordered the iron sights from Marlin and Midway. Once they got here I had to find a gunsmith to drill and tap the barrel. This proved to be harder than I expected. Being on very limited funds I called all the shops here in the area and got prices. They ranged from $10.00 per hole to $35.00 per hole. I also contacted a gunsmith in Tennessee from Levergunlovers.com forum. He quoted me $10.00 per hole. But that meant I had to ship the rifle and that was something I didn’t want to do.
I himed and hawed for several weeks until early this year when I decided to have the gunsmith used by a local indoor range and gun shop do the work. He was the local who quoted me $10.00 per hole.

I got the rifle back late March or early April and noticed right off the iron sights had been installed tilted to the right. I took the rifle home and looked it over in better light.

I even pulled the sights off the barrel to see if there was any leeway to adjust them. Nope.
But what I found under the sights made me mad. In every hole there were metal shavings. Besides drilling the holes off center, he didn’t clean up his work. These holes are from the front sight. I didn’t think fast enough to take pics of the rear holes.
A shoddy job to be sure and a very unhappy customer. I took the rifle back the next day and the gun smith looked at it and said, “Yes, the sights are crooked but I don’t know what I can do for you.” Then he blamed the shoddy work on my rifle being milled crooked.
I just looked at him like he was an idiot and left before my temper overrode my self control.
That gun shop, gun range, gun dealer, and gun smith will never see my business again.

So now I posted about that, I can’t find that thread either, two threads, both gone.
A little while later another forum member suggested I go to a gunsmith here in Springfield he knows and has done good work for him. That was Oglesby & Oglesby. So I did. That was April 3rd of this year. I received a call from one of O&O’s gunsmiths August 28th of this year. He told me Bill Oglesby had been trying to call me and the phone was always busy. I gave him my cell # and said to call me on that. Several hours later I received a call from the gunsmith saying my rifle was done. But it wasn’t. Instead of resetting the iron sights like I had asked them to do, they drilled four more holes in the receiver. When I told them that is not what I took it in to have done he made excuses and said that the irons were factory and the holes in the receiver were so off center the rifle could never be sighted in.
I corrected him and told him the irons were the ones installed crooked by the other gunsmith and I did not say anything about the scope bases.

Could not be sighted in …… I doubt that very much. It was a used rifle, over 10 years old. I suspect that was an excuse to try and cover their butts because they didn’t do what was wanted.

I was hot when I sent the forum member an email about that conversation. He said he’d take care of it. Well, I guess he did, financially anyway. I'll have to get with him on this when I can.

I picked the rifle up on October 3rd or 4th. While I was there they did everything to convince me I was wrong about the iron sights. Including breaking my existing factory front sight blade and installing a half inch tall, too wide fiber optic sight.

Here is a pic of the entire receiver. The four holes connected by the white line are the factory holes. The others O&O’s holes.

The extra front holes are not even drilled smoothly. I’ve done better myself.

Not to mention the fact that he ground off the bottoms of the scope base screws so short they might have one to one and half threads engaged in the receiver. I’d be expecting those screws to shear off under recoil.

Here’s a pic of the bases with the ground off front screws and my broken factory sight.

Here is a pic of the .500” tall fiber optic blade. It’s so tall that when I shoulder the rifle I can’t pull it down into the rear sight notch. The original blade was .375” tall.

So here I am trying to decide what to do with my last year’s birthday rifle that I haven’t even fired a single shot out of. Pathetic isn’t it that you can’t find a gunsmith that can speak and comprehend English in central Illinois.

Now, please don’t tell me to sue them, or take them to court. I’m not going to do that.

I’m going to do two things for now:
A: I’m going to shoot it as is with the iron sights to see IF the rifle can be shot with the sights as they are. If so I’ll leave them as the back ups they were intended to be.
If not, I’ll pull them off and put plug screws in the holes until I can find a gunsmith that speaks and comprehends English.

B: After trying it with the irons, I’m going to put the scope bases back on in the factory holes, and shoot it that way. I doubt seriously that there is any misalignment to them at all. If one of the scopes I have will work well enough to use, I’ll just use it as is. If not then I’ll buy a new scope. I kinda like the looks of the Pentax scopes 86er recommended.

Sometime in the future I've got to find a gunsmith who can take care of the extra holes in the receiver and somehow straighten up the barrel sights. But for now I'm not doing anything else.

So, now you have it …. the rest of the story. So far.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT: My Marlin MR-7, The Rest of the Story - So far

Post by gamekeeper »

That is indeed a sad tale. Seems like anyone with a hammer, hacksaw and drill can call them selves gunsmiths these days. :evil:

I hope the rifle shoots straight regardless.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hang on till you come out west, we'll use my TIG and fill them in, polish it off.
You can use their buisiness card to sight in with.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Hang on till you come out west, we'll use my TIG and fill them in, polish it off.
You can use their buisiness card to sight in with.
:D :D :D :D :D :D That sounds like a plan. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

How about forgetting about that rear sight and making a small investment in an XS Ghost Ring Weaver sight? The weaver bases you already have can be installed in the proper holes and you won't see the other ones. The XS would work well with the tall front sight you have. The XS can be put on and off the weaver base and it will hold its zero. You can also use the scope on those bases, and store the XS under the buttplate by making a small hole in the stock for it. As far as the barrel holes from the ill installed rear sight, you already have one offer to fix it and there are a bunch of us that can do it or guide you through it to take care of those two holes.

It is hard to believe something so simple got so out of whack by more than one person claiming to be a gunsmith....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er wrote:How about forgetting about that rear sight and making a small investment in an XS Ghost Ring Weaver sight? The weaver bases you already have can be installed in the proper holes and you won't see the other ones. The XS would work well with the tall front sight you have. The XS can be put on and off the weaver base and it will hold its zero. You can also use the scope on those bases, and store the XS under the buttplate by making a small hole in the stock for it. As far as the barrel holes from the ill installed rear sight, you already have one offer to fix it and there are a bunch of us that can do it or guide you through it to take care of those two holes.

It is hard to believe something so simple got so out of whack by more than one person claiming to be a gunsmith....
Joe,

That actually is one of my ideas. I just wanted to try the standard irons first and the scope. But with all the crookedness I got a bit incendiary under the collar. Can you post me a link to the XS Weaver sights? I was looking a different brand that uses the Weaver bases and now I can't find the link. It's in my bookmarks somewhere.

As for filling in the holes I'm considering all options. For now, plug screws. Later ...... tig, polish, reblue.

Oh to everyone thanks a bunch for the positive suggestions. You really don't know how much they mean to me.

Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Look at the Low Weaver Back Up

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,

Thanks for the great idea. I just got off the phone with Justin at XS. I ordered the Low Weaver Back Up and a threaded aperture. He's also sending me some extra test posts for the other rifles I'd like to get new front sights on.

I'll let you know how all this works out when it gets here.

Joe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sorry for the problems Joe. When it rains it pours.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hey Joe ! - When did you change yore last name from Btfsplk to Miller ? ;)

Wow - If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all !

I sure hope your luck changes for the better, and pretty soon, at that !

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,
When it rains it pours.
Boy you're not kidding. But hey, there's a silver lining to every black cloud .... or so I'm told. :|

Pete,

"Btfsplk" ? I've seen that before, what does it mean?

I do believe my luck may be changing. I'm not sure, but I think it's started with some decisions we made recently. We chucked some big emotional and financial loads a couple weeks ago. Only time will tell really.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"Joe Btfsplk " was a 1950's-era cartoon character of Al Capp's (Lil' Abner), who always had a little black cloud hovering over his head, and enough bad luck to last everyone else he ever met, for the rest of their lives. :mrgreen:

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I'm mad just reading about your rifle and looking at the pictures, Joe. It's a shame that someone could mess up your rifle the way these ham handed buffoons did. On a lighter note, if I were you, I wouldn't let them handload any ammo for you to shoot in your rifle.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I know it's not in line with this thread Joe but I'd like to ask how the issue with your wife's eyes is coming along.

I'm not big in the prayer department Joe but you and your wife are in my thoughts.

Glad to see -- errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr read that the issues with your rifle seem to be coming to a positive conclusion.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ed,

Not a problem, check out my other thread "When it rains it dumps on you" I posted an update on there earlier today.
All prayers and positive thoughts appreciated.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

I am certainly sad to hear about all the troubles you went through with this fine rifle. You must have the patience of a saint - I think I would have crowned the so-called "gunsmith" with the gun and wand up in jail for my displeasure! :roll:

Hang in there - sounds like you have a possible solution on the way. Looking forward to your first range report after you get this one squared away!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Joe, I can say that I never had the hots for one of these Marlins even when they were current production models and available at gun stores everywhere. I wish it were possible for me to find a brand new in the box and unfired Marlin Bolt, buy it, and just give it to you, with the understanding that you would never have any one in this millenium drill even one hole for any reason. Just put a good scope on it and go kill something. I can't afford to do this, but I wish I could, just for you. You could ship the messed up one to me, and I would take a torch and cut it up.

It's amazing, that Illinois is not only full of the worst and pure garbage politicians, they ain't got any gunsmiths either!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

brucew44guns wrote:Joe, I can say that I never had the hots for one of these Marlins even when they were current production models and available at gun stores everywhere. I wish it were possible for me to find a brand new in the box and unfired Marlin Bolt, buy it, and just give it to you, with the understanding that you would never have any one in this millenium drill even one hole for any reason. Just put a good scope on it and go kill something. I can't afford to do this, but I wish I could, just for you. You could ship the messed up one to me, and I would take a torch and cut it up.

It's amazing, that Illinois is not only full of the worst and pure garbage politicians, they ain't got any gunsmiths either!
Bruce,

Thanks, but no thanks. If I were given another in pristine condition that had no barrel sights on it, I'd trade it off. I am a hard core iron sight shooter. So if I kept it I'd find someone qualified to put the sights on it.
Besides the one I got now isn't damaged mechanically. It will be shot and evaluated in the near future. And I WILL kill something with it ... someday.

I agree with the comment on IL. Boy do I.

Joe