Peabody Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Peabody Rifle

Post by barbarossa »

Hi
I ve been thinking on buying one of the new peabody rifles in 45/70 to go with my Shiloh Sharps, has anyone heard anything
about them.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Peabody Rifle

Post by barbarossa »

Forgot to mention this is the version with the outside hammer like the Sharps
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I talked to a gentleman at a gunshop last week that had one built by the Wisconsin company . He was happy with his. He was at a BP cartridge meet and met one of the gentlemen who makes them . So he ordered one up. That's all I know.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Someone in the Friends of Bill Dixon thread was shooing one... Might find something there...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ben, David Torkelson was shooting an original Peabody that had been rebarreled (and maybe rechambered? I don't know) in 45/70 at the Billy Dixon Shoot. Having held that gun, I can tell you I was very impressed with the "short stroke" action. I was not aware they made reproductions, and will pass that info on. Thanks very much!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Tutt.. I didn't realize it was an original.. I've got one in 43 Spanish I'll post a pic shortly..

"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ben, that is a handsome rifle! Is the 43 Spanish similar to my 43 Mauser? I might have some interesting load data for you if the case capacities are in the ball park.

David's rifle was in pretty rough shape, but he had it refurbished and rebarreled and it seems to shoot pretty good!

Barbarossa, it seems like the repro's would shoot well too given the cost! But I have no idea.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

As you may or may not be aware, the Peabody Rifle was the Grandfather of the Martini-Henry Rifle that served the British Army for nearly 20 years as the standard issue, and for another 40 years a Colonial Police and Colonial military issue.

Martini changed the action to a hammerless design, and Henry changed the rifling system used. Poor old Peabody got left out of any fame and most of the fortune.

I've not had a chance to handle one of the new Peabodys, but all I've heard about it has been good. I'll be looking forward to your range report.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Tutt.. It's in pretty good shape..Some rust discoloration in the CCH ..The 43 Span is pretty much a ballistic twin of the 43 Mauser.. 77gr 2f under a 385gr slug..
Doc.. I've read the same thing about the Martin 'Enry.. But recently, and I can't remember where, I read that Peabody's design originally was a hammerless design, but then he changed it, supposedly so the gubment would readily accept it...
WIL TERRY
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Years ago I saw a movie called "The Trap" set in 19th century Canada, Oliver Reed used a Peabody in that movie, it took me ages to figure out what it was.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yup, Canadian issue Peabody rifles were 50-56 rimfire.. I think they used a Carbine version too.
WIL TERRY
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ben_Rumson wrote: Doc.. I've read the same thing about the Martin 'Enry.. But recently, and I can't remember where, I read that Peabody's design originally was a hammerless design, but then he changed it, supposedly so the gubment would readily accept it...
I had not heard about the Peabody originally being a hammerless design. But I can truly believe that General Meigs would not consider a rifle without a hammer. I believe that had General Meigs been given a free reign, he'd have equipped the Union Army with Model 1803 Springfield Flintlock Muskets and 6-pdr Smoothbore cannon like the ones he'd trained with as a cadet.

I believe that I've heard that a few hundred Peabody Rifles saw service in the closing months of the War Between the States. I don't know if they were chambered for the Spencer 56-50 RF or another cartridge.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Right Doc.. 56-50 Spencer RF .. I see I made a typo above with the Canadian Peabody. COTW says Springfield Armory designed the 56-50 in late 1864 and was used in the Model 1865 Spencer...
Meigs.. Smart of Spencer to do an end run around him..Must have helped too that the rifle had a hammer ... :lol:
WIL TERRY
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Right Doc.. 56-50 Spencer RF .. I see I made a typo above with the Canadian Peabody. COTW says Springfield Armory designed the 56-50 in late 1864 and was used in the Model 1865 Spencer...
Meigs.. Smart of Spencer to do an end run around him..Must have helped too that the rifle had a hammer ... :lol:
You might have made a typo, but I read it as 56-50 rather than the other way around. Sometimes I think I must be dyslexic.

Image Image
UNITE!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Providence Tool Company won contracts to supply Turkey with some 600,000 Martini rifles. These were marked Peabody-Martini, something that caused Mr Henry some angst at the time. http://www.militaryrifles.com/Turkey/Pe ... yStory.htm