POLL: Help me pick my next gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

POLL: Help me pick my next gun

Post by pullnshoot25 »

Now, I just sold off a Makarov to fund a new bow string and fix the Single Six (lost the .22LR cylinder) so I can get back into the swing of things but this election thing is making me want to get at least one more gun. Here are the ideas that I have on the table...

-Taurus 94 4" .22LR 9 shot revolver, DA. (Trainer to the Tracker)
-Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk .44mag 4 5/8", 5.5" or 6" SS/Blue
-Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/357
-Browning HP, probably a Daley derivative (good reviews on it)
-CZ-75 9mm
-Good shotgun

It helps if you know the current collection too...

Pistols
--Makarov
--Taurus Tracker .44mag
--Ruger Single Six
--Ruger MKII

Long Guns
--Ruger 10/22
--Puma 92 .44mag
--Mossberg 640KD .22mag
--Mossberg Model 44US
--H&R 12ga (kinda broken at moment...)
--Mosin Nagant M44

Any ideas, fellow levergunners? What would you buy? Any other guns that aren't on the list that should be on there for consideration?
TooTech
Levergunner

Re: POLL: Help me pick my next gun

Post by TooTech »

Looks like the biggest opening would be for a new shotgun. Maybe a nice Remington or Mossberg pump?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would say a good HiCap shotgun....The Army and Most LEO depts seem to like the Mossy 500s.....On the other hand, a good 1911 would not be a lick amiss......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would say the shotgun
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't see a thurty-thurty in your current collection! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
drboomboom
Levergunner

Post by drboomboom »

I'd be ok with the shottie. But, you're also light on the 9mm handgun side. I'm a big fan of the Hi Power. My wife has a Charles Daly, good gun. I've got an Argy FN (not FM) it was made in Belgium but assembled in Argentina for the police there. The Hi Power is John Browning's 9mm and in my estimation, is up there with his 1911 pistol and his 1894 rifle as a classic design.

Speaking of the '94, you forgot to include yours in your collection list...you DO have one, don't you?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This:

$269 plus shipping from AIM Surplus.

I have the P220 45ACP and it is an excellent pistol

I bought one of these P-225's for my friend as a thank you for letting me hunt at his deer farm every year, so I've handled one of these - they have some wear but are very tight and excellent quality.

I can not think of a better pistol for the money.

If you are looking for a shotty, then I would go with a nice used Remington Wingmaster and getcha another barrel confirgured like you'd like with screw-in chokes. Say a nice 12 guage set up with modifed barrel for dove, pheasant, etc. and then get the extra barrel and chokes for duck, etc. or a slug barrel or a home defense shorty. Can't beat the 870 for aftermarket barrels and accessories!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

drboomboom wrote:I'd be ok with the shottie. But, you're also light on the 9mm handgun side. I'm a big fan of the Hi Power. My wife has a Charles Daly, good gun. I've got an Argy FN (not FM) it was made in Belgium but assembled in Argentina for the police there. The Hi Power is John Browning's 9mm and in my estimation, is up there with his 1911 pistol and his 1894 rifle as a classic design.

Speaking of the '94, you forgot to include yours in your collection list...you DO have one, don't you?
I did have a '94 Trapper but I sold it to buy the Puma '92 when I kept getting weird cartridge jams. If it were in 30-30 I'd have one but I sold my Marlin 336RC because the .44mag fills the same role and I can have a handgun companion for it to boot (In case you didn't notice, I've been trying to build my collection around handgun/rifle combos)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If you want a hangun/carbine combo, go for the Kel Tec Sub 2000 G17 and a Glock 17 - they share mags and you can get $20 33-round mags - or just use the 17 rounders.

I've got the Sub2000 G-17 and its a great shootin little carbine that folds up for easy storage. I don't have the Glock 17.... but would like to get one eventually - just that it keeps getting behind other more interesting purchase desires....

Here's my Sub2000:

50 yard target - resting my arms on a bench:

NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

Say I were to get a shotgun...

The Remington 870 offers the most versatility in terms of magazine tube length, barrel length, etc. but I can't seem to narrow down which one I want. I want to get a decent looking one that I can shoot trap/birds and knock off bad guys with (God forbid should that time come) and I want to do it without breaking the bank (aka still buy my 9mm within a reasonable amount of time :) )

Any particular model suggestions, etc?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd go with a 1911 clone in .45acp, or a single action revolver in .45 Colt.-JMHO
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

pullnshoot25 wrote:Say I were to get a shotgun...

The Remington 870 offers the most versatility in terms of magazine tube length, barrel length, etc. but I can't seem to narrow down which one I want. I want to get a decent looking one that I can shoot trap/birds and knock off bad guys with (God forbid should that time come) and I want to do it without breaking the bank (aka still buy my 9mm within a reasonable amount of time :) )

Any particular model suggestions, etc?
No offer as to model for an 870 but a suggestion on where to get one.
Bolsa Gunsmithing (SoCal) has them pretty cheap, so I would check your
local gunsmiths, bunshops etc, might just find a deal there somewhere.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:I don't see a thurty-thurty in your current collection! :wink:
+1 Where the lever you're going to consider? :D
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I would agree with some of the others...

A good shotgun is a must. I prefer modern shotguns made by Remington... I would look at an 870 and maybe if funds allow an 11-87 sportsman semi-auto this is on the cheaper side of most of their current semi's.

+1 on the 30-30 in rifle - I do not seen any "traditional" rifle carts. in your line-up, although the 44 mag could just about cover it all.

As far as pistols - the Taurus 94 is a well made gun that I have handled in the past. I do like your thought of a Blackhawk 9mm/357 - get the 4 5/8' barrel. -
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I didn't read the other answers but I agree with anyone who said a new shotgun (and ammo). I suggest the Remington 870. Support (parts) everywhere.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for an 870 12 ga.
NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:I didn't read the other answers but I agree with anyone who said a new shotgun (and ammo). I suggest the Remington 870. Support (parts) everywhere.
What hobie said....
But get a combo set with 2 barrels...
one for slugs... for deer hunting and such
and a ventilated rib, rem choke barrel for bird hunting
and clay shooting
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Another vote for the 870.

Some other thoughts:

-- I have not heard good things about the accuracy of the 9mm in the 9mm/.357 conversion. it also seems to me, why bother...you can shoot .38's in it anyways for plinking.
-- Seems like you have the .22 covered pretty well. I'd look to buy something else.
-- The CZ-75 is a proven 9mm. I had an older version of it, and loved it. Then again, I've always loved the BHP. Can't go wrong with either.
-- Given the probable election of the "one", I'm planning on picking up an AR-15 and a bunch of hi-cap mags before they get banned. I don't see anything in .223/5.56 in your arsenal (hi-cap 9mm will also go by the wayside, so maybe that route as well).
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

IMO a good shotgun is a must have.
This is a picture my all-time favorite go to gun.
Honestly, if I had to get down to one gun, this would be my keeper. :wink:
With the V rib clamp on sights, it will throw a Win. Foster type slug
like nobody’s business.
I still would like to get the screw in rifled choke tube, then I would be
able to shot the Sabot slugs.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Just check gunbroker - they have scads of 870's for sale - like this combo deal:

If you don't like the stock -there are plenty of replacements available! Or just keep looking there until you find the one you want.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

+1 Shotgun.

For your broad interests and appearance requirements, a Remington 870 "Wingmaster" model is the perfect acquisition. Much nicer finished than the 870 "Express" model, the Wingmaster offers all the options referenced above and can usually be found in 12 guage, very good or better condition, in the neighborhood of $285-$400 at most stores offering a good selection of used guns, ... or a gunshow (for the immediate future) at a location near you!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I'd go with what would be banned first; the high capacity CZ-75. However, I'd take a close look at Armelites version of it - the AR-24. You definately need a shotgun, but they will be plentiful for years to come.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=24-15