I bought a Marlin 1894CL in 218 Bee yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

I bought a Marlin 1894CL in 218 Bee yesterday

Post by AkRay »

I saw it on a table at the show and let it sit for a day. I thought there would be other things I could buy. It was wearing a scope and was priced at $475.00. The next day, I had just sold a gun and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I went back to look at a different gun, and saw that this 218 Bee was still there, but marked down to $445.00. As I stood there, I found that it was easy to picture myself carrying this small caliber levergun through some of my favorite woods, or target practicing with something that's probably less expensive than a .22 magnum, so I bought it. It's got some dings in the wood, and some small scratches on the metal, but the overall impression it gives when looked at is that it was very well taken care of. It's got a brown rubber Marlin recoil pad on it, and a buckhorn rear sight, and a half length magazine tube. The stock has some of the nicest grain I've seen on a Marlin lever action. It just looks classy but businesslike at the same time. I was also able to buy a set of reloading dies and a shellholder from the seller too. I just need some brass, powder and primers and I can give this rifle a try.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I bought a Marlin 1894CL in 218 Bee yesterday

Post by 2ndovc »

That was a deal!!

Those darned little riflles are next to impossible to find used around here. Make great woodchuck rifles.

The .218 is a great round too. I had a martini cadet rifle chambered in the .218 and knocked off a bunch of critters with it.

Have fun!!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I think you'll enjoy that :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

:wink:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I'm jealous
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm with OSOK here. Lesseesumpitchers!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat AND a VERY good price. The Bee is a prime candidate for L'ilGun and a 40 or 45 gr. bullet. Mine is on the Contender. FUN cartridge without the supposed problems of the .22 Hornet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Just out of curiosity(sp), what are the hornets "problems".
Only problem with mine is that I don't get to shoot it enough.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If I saw a Marlin bee on the shelf over here I wouldn't risk leaving it there for more than two seconds, their as scarce as rockin horse dumplings.
Congrats and enjoy :mrgreen:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
slickrock
Levergunner

Post by slickrock »

mine was a lot of fun. would like another...and a 25-20,,,,and a 25-35, and a ..... LOL
Member of the old site since June 2003
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! Wish I could find one for that kind of money. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You done well. :D Not a whole lot of them out there in 218. Mine shoots into an inch with the Hornady 45 gr. "Bee" bullet over a dose of IMR 4227. I call my .218 my "cat rifle". I have shot a mess of fox and crows with it though. I ain't admittin' to the "cat part".--------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great buy for that money. You and Sixgun should get together for a cat spinin' session. With proper placement, I hear Sixgun can get three full rotations on a tabby. I had a Browning 65 in Bee that was a blast.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I went to look for reloading components yesterday, and found bullets but no brass. 100 bullets make a small package when you compare them to others. I did find one box of factory ammo on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse for $73.99, and that box of ammo is still sitting there. I'll try a couple other places in the next day or two to see if anything is available.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I have a Browning 65 in 218 Bee and it has been one of my favorite levers to walk in the woods with. The best and most reasonably priced 218 Bee ammo I have found is $30 for a box of 50. You can buy it either on GB or direct from Reeds. If anyone knows where you can beat the price for first quality 218 Bee ammo please post it.

Check it out here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =112881864
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

:lol:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Great buy for that money. You and Sixgun should get together for a cat spinin' session. With proper placement, I hear Sixgun can get three full rotations on a tabby. I had a Browning 65 in Bee that was a blast.

McNutjob--That was good! Thanks for the laugh.
:lol: :lol: -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I would say that you legally stole that rifle. Great job! 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh man, now we're going to start hearing complaints again about cat abuse! :roll:

Congrats on the new lever - looking forward to the pictures!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

.45 wrote:Just out of curiosity(sp), what are the hornets "problems".
Supposedly the Hornet is hard to reload, has short case life, delicate case mouth, ad-naseum. I've had no problems with mine hence my comment about "supposed problems". :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AkRay wrote:I went to look for reloading components yesterday, and found bullets but no brass. 100 bullets make a small package when you compare them to others. I did find one box of factory ammo on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse for $73.99, and that box of ammo is still sitting there. I'll try a couple other places in the next day or two to see if anything is available.
There is brass on-line, somewhere. It is one of those seasonal production items. But, it has good case life. You can form it from .25-20 or .32-20. Check this out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:
.45 wrote:Just out of curiosity(sp), what are the hornets "problems".
Supposedly the Hornet is hard to reload, has short case life, delicate case mouth, ad-naseum. I've had no problems with mine hence my comment about "supposed problems". :wink:
From quite a few years of fooling with Hornets I can attest to their ability !

The ONLY time I ever had problems with any of those I have owned was when I tried to load them to hot and the groups went to heck !

IF you load it within the paramaters that it was made it does an excellent job ! And if you're not hamm handed when you go to resize the cases and seat the bullets !

The last Hornet I owned was a circa 1938 Winchester Model 70 and without a doubt this was the best shooting Hornat I've ever owned BAR NONE ! It seemed to really really like the Nosler 40 grain Ballistis Tip and Accurate Arms 1680 .

Before that in the other Winchesters and Kimbers I owned that were chambered for the Hornet I used mostly the discontinued Winchester 680 powder and it did a very decent job .

But that Model 70 with the Nosler 40BT and 1680 powder was the best I ever worked with by a pretty decent margin !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The .218 Bee is a necked down 25-20 right? Improvement over the Hornet - by quite a bit IIRC.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

The guy I bought it from was under the impression that these rifles were fairly easy to get, and that I might even be able to find a new one over at Sportsman's Warehouse. I asked him how long they'd had it and he thought it had been about 5 years since they bought it new. I didn't think he was right but I didn't say anything. He was selling the rifle for his wife and she seemed a little reluctant to let it go. I assured her that I would give it a good home though. From what I've been reading here and other places, I wonder if she's going to be upset with her husband when she discovers she won't be able to easily replace this rifle? When it was time to carry things out to the car, my 16 yr old volunteered to carry this levergun. He seems kind of taken with it too.
Woodsloafer
Levergunner

Post by Woodsloafer »

For those of you looking for one, here is a pretty good deal on one NIB:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/994507941/Gu ... 18_Bee.htm
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sixgun,
Three rotations? Is that in the horizontal or the vertical plane?