OT - A Colt "Why" Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT - A Colt "Why" Question.

Post by cshold »

Colt chambers there SAA in 38 spl.
Colt chambers there SAA in 38/357 mag.
Why would a person consider buying the SAA in the 38 spl.
over the 357 mag. with the versitility of using 38 spl. in
the 357 mag. :?:

I would think the demand would be very low for the 38 spl.
chambering. (I must be missing something here :? )
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Other than the straight 38 spl. being older, possibly for historical reasons, I couldn't answer that. Personally I agree I'd buy the 357 so I could have the option of the 38/357 versatility.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Might be some CAS shooter wanting light .38 loads and not have to worry about leading up the longer chambers,reckon?

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A chamber made for the .38 Spl. is shorter, giving less bullet jump and maintaining better bullet stability than in a .357 length chamber. Although the distance to the rifling is equal, the shorter jump may also provide for better ignition of the charge.

With .38 special loads, it has long been held that one of the most accurate revolvers is the S&W Model 10, (if I remember my S&W model #s correctly).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And,]/b] the .38 Special has just that little bit more nostalgia to it, than a .357, IMHO.

Call it: The charisma of a .38-40, without all the bother.
dtrain
Levergunner

Post by dtrain »

Could be that many people are comfortable with the 38 Special and figure that it is not worth the extra cost for a cartridge that they will not use when shooting.I hope I am not starting a 38 vs 357 debate with this reply.I personally like both cartridges.One of my favorite handguns to shoot when I get the oportunity to is my Model 64. I carried this gun for several years when I managed a security service and had to work armed accounts.I dont reload so I have found that 38Special ammunition is quite a bit cheaper than 357 Magnum.

Dtrain
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Griff wrote:A chamber made for the .38 Spl. is shorter, giving less bullet jump and maintaining better bullet stability than in a .357 length chamber. Although the distance to the rifling is equal, the shorter jump may also provide for better ignition of the charge.

With .38 special loads, it has long been held that one of the most accurate revolvers is the S&W Model 10, (if I remember my S&W model #s correctly).
I like Griff explanation
When I found my model 15, I could of had a BH in 357 for the same price. But was guided by some from this forum to buy the Model 15, because of the accuracy.
They were not wrong.
My intent was to use shoot mostly 38 spec anyways.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Probably the same reason people still buy K-frame .38's like the models 14 and 15 instead of the M19 or 66. I've got both a 2" M15 in nickel and a 6" M14 blued and want 4" and 8 3/8" versions. Personally, I've got no use for the .357 and the two I own will become something more useful before it's over with.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with Griff. If two identical guns were chambered for .38 Spl and .357 magnum, and both shot with .38's, the one chambered for that cartridge is often the most accurae.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - A Colt "Why" Question.

Post by okdee »

From a collectors viewpoint, the 38 Special is more desirable.

For the 1st Generation, the 38 Special is very hard to come by. I seem to recall maybe 56 total?! :!: I do not have my books with me.
:?:

For the 2nd Generation Colt SAA 38 Special was one of the first calibers to be restarted. That and the 45. They started them back in 1956, and it was a few years later before the .357 caliber was introduced. Some feel that the 38 Special is a bit more specialized versus the .357, which will shoot both 38's and 357's. Anytime you collect something, the earliest ones usually attain or draw more value. Also there was a change in the firing pin and grips. I seem to recall that the introduction of the floating firing pin may have been with the .357 caliber. The grips changed during that time period, also. Most collector's prefer the earliest versions, regardless of caliber. The 44 Special is one of the scarest and yet, for so reason, most do not care for it.

Cheers, :D
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, The .357 Magnum was introduced in 1934, after Phil Sharpe developed it from the .38 Special.

It was looked at as a "Gee Whizz" absolute high-pressure bomb, back then, so was awhile before many other makers than S&W (the "Registered Magnums") issued any.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

From J Millers point of view cleaning the junk out of the front of .357 chambers after shooting 38s is a PAIN IN THE @$$ and he won't do it. I have several thousand 38s just sitting and two .357 revolvers. I'll let them sit till I can find a 38 to shoot them out of.

From the mechanical stand point, Griff is correct.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***