Range Report - Who Says Takedowns Don't Shoot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Range Report - Who Says Takedowns Don't Shoot?

Post by 71fan »

I went to the range yesterday to get my rifles ready for deer season, taking a scoped 264 win mag and two of my favorite leverguns - a Winchester 55 and a Winchester 1895, both set up very similar:

Winchester 1895 TD, 303 Brit, Lyman 21, blade/post front, shooting factory Winchester 180 gr Power Points
Winchester 55 TD, 30 wcf, Lyman 21, modified Sheard front, shooting factory Winchester 150 gr Power Points

The 1895 will consistently shoot 1-3/4" four-shot groups, and the best group ever was a four shot group at 1.2". This is the first time I have saved and photographed the targets, and these groups are a little larger than normal, but you can still see the potential of the rifle. It is quite acceptable for deer out to 200 yds. I get about 6-inch 200 yd groups, with my best being 4-1/2". I've always used the same Winchester factory 180s.

I had always thought the '95 was my most accurate levergun until this range session, when I finally got serious about the 55 I've owned for several years. I've doddled and plinked with it quite a bit but never gave it much time at the bench. It is a very sweet little rifle - light and perfectly balanced. Last spring I modified the Sheard bead sight that came on it by filing it square on the sides and top, and now it is a post. The 1895 and 55 have nearly identical sighting setups now.

Anyway, I tried some Leverevolution out of the 55 and got about a 4-inch gourp at 100 yds - no good. I then switched to the Walmart cheapo Winny 150 gr Power Points ($12 / box) and produced the two groups below. WOW! I am impressed with this rifle now.

These two takedowns outshoot all of my solid frame leverguns, of which I have 10. So whoever thinks takedowns can't be as accurate as solid frame rifles, think again!!

All groups were 4 shots fired from a bench over sandbags, at 100 yds.

55 - The group on the right is 1-1/4". The one on the left is 2 inches, but without the flyer the remaining three shots measure 3/8"!

1895 - the group on the right is a hair over 2 inches. The one on the left is 2-7/8", with three shots in 1-3/8"

Here are full pics of each of these darlings....
Chad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report - Who Says Takedowns Don't Shoot?

Post by TedH »

That's great! Good shooting there. :mrgreen:

Both of my 30-30's shoot the best with the Winchester PP's too, at least out of other factory ammo I've tried in them.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice rifle's.
Very good shooting.
I am very interested in knowing about
that sling setup on the 95, that is way neat. :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have no idea what bozo started that rumor concerning the lack of accuracy of TD Winchesters, but I can certainly verify that they are every bit as straight shooting as the solid frame guns are. In some cases the TDs will oushoot the others, hands down. You have evidently proven this for yourself, so you now know that this rumor is unfounded. Somehow, these stories circulate to the point where they become "factual". That's fine with me, I'll take those poor shooting old takedowns off their hands, :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting and innovative report.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Very nicely done. You should try loading up some 180 Sierra Pro Hunters for the .303 I have found that the shoot 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards out of my enfield with a max load of IMR4320. It would be iteresting to see what they do out of your 95.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice shooting.. Sweet rifles.. Nice report
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great pics and great shooting! Levers are a little more lively and harder to shoot from the bench than bolts and auto's - I've found anyway. But they shoot great from off-hand - especially if they're well balanced.

I really like the Lyman sights too - I've got a repro on my Win95 but I really like the one on your 94 - I think that may be the best sighting option for the 94 - they have a lot of adjustemnt range.

I'm hoping my take down shoots well - I'm heading out to load some ammo for it in a bit and if I can, I'll get to the range this afternoon to test it out. It's a Rem M81 in 300 Savage - not a lever but definately a take-down. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This is the first target with my Deluxe 1893 Takedown. All I did was mount a tang sight, load up 29gr of 748 under a 170JFP, set a target at 50yds, and this was the bench results.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

Hey jdad what caliber is the deluxe? Looks like a dandy. Some of my accurate Marlins are TD's.
Plus they are a lot easier to clean. I have a deluxe 32HPS & a 38/55 both in 1893 that I use
regularly.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice shoot'n irons and nice muley too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jorgy wrote:Hey jdad what caliber is the deluxe? Looks like a dandy. Some of my accurate Marlins are TD's.
Plus they are a lot easier to clean. I have a deluxe 32HPS & a 38/55 both in 1893 that I use
regularly.
Keith,
It's a 30-30 and everything letters, but the sling eyes. I've considered shooting a few silhouette matches with it.

David
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Good shooting-I've been happy with mine but you doing outstanding with that! a .303 fan as well!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great report and even better shooting!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Thank you everyone for the kind words.
casastahle wrote:Very nice rifle's.
Very good shooting.
I am very interested in knowing about
that sling setup on the 95, that is way neat. :D
The leather is from levergunleather.com. The owner/artist – Lever – used to post here quite a bit but we don’t see him around too much anymore. The deer on the butt cuff of my rifle is a deer I have mounted that I shot when I was 15. I took a picture, sent it to Lever, and he carved it into the leather. My 71 wears this sling, which was also carved from a picture: http://www.levergunleather.com/images/chaddsling1.jpg

He does great work - it's definitely worth a few minutes to peruse his website.
Mike D. wrote:… I'll take those poor shooting old takedowns off their hands, :D
And 55s are about the most underrated old Winchesters out there. I’m with you – I’ll take all the takedowns I can get. I love them.
JReed wrote:Very nicely done. You should try loading up some 180 Sierra Pro Hunters for the .303 I have found that the shoot 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards out of my enfield with a max load of IMR4320. It would be interesting to see what they do out of your 95.
I would like to try some loading for the 303, but I’m not too motiviated when it shoots factory like it does. I think I would be hard-pressed to beat the performance I’m getting with the current package. Next time we get together maybe I can shoot a group with your ammo and we’ll see ;)
O.S.O.K. wrote: I really like the Lyman sights too - I've got a repro on my Win95 but I really like the one on your 94 - I think that may be the best sighting option for the 94 - they have a lot of adjustment range.

I'm hoping my take down shoots well - I'm heading out to load some ammo for it in a bit and if I can, I'll get to the range this afternoon to test it out. It's a Rem M81 in 300 Savage - not a lever but definitely a take-down. :)
I am a big fan of the Lyman 21, and I’d love to find a 38 someday. Every one of my hunting levers has a receiver or tang sight of some kind, and these 21s with a post/blade front are hard to beat.
RIHMFIRE wrote:nice shoot'n irons and nice muley too!
Thank you! That’s my Wyoming buck from last year, shot with my 264.
Chad