Acquired my first Marlin 10-09-2008, an 1894C

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Acquired my first Marlin 10-09-2008, an 1894C

Post by Rexster »

Well, yesterday was a good day, as I once again have a tube-fed lever rifle now that I bought my first Marlin, an 1894C in .357 Magnum, the non-Cowboy version with an 18" barrel. I was seriously considering a takedown BLR in .308, which the same dealer had in stock, but then I saw the 1894C a few days ago. I checked Browning's website, and saw that the takedown BLR is about to be released in a straight-grip stainless/laminated version, which I believe I will prefer to the fat-grip version already available, so that freed me to grab the Marlin, a rare bird itself.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Acquired my first Marlin 10-09-2008, an 1894C

Post by TomF »

You will be pleased.

TomF
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

REXSTER
Good choice. I have several levers, and like all of them. I think my 1894c would be 1 of the last ones I would give up. It is very accurate, will serve for deer and smaller game and is a great fun plinker. Karl
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is excellent news for you!! So where are the pictures? and when is the range report?? Wishing you much success with it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Thanks for the support! Posting pics on this forum is totally different from the way I have posted pics in other places; I have some learnin' to do. As for a range report, it won't mean much until I get prescription eyeglasses, and/or better sights for the Marlin.
Have Colts, will travel.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rexster,

The code for posting pics is the same as for most forums.

As to your rifle, I think that is one of the single best guns a hunter east of the Mississippi can buy.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Rexster,
Having had an 1894c for several years now, I can tell you that the above posts all speak the truth! If I could only have one, my 1894c is the one I'd keep! And Hobie is correct, properly fed, it is a great hunting arm. Enjoy!

centershot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It sounds like you made a great choice. My grandson has one like that and it is about as perfect as it gets.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

It took me a while to warm up to Marlins. My first lever rifle was a forgettable USRAC '94 Trapper Carbine, but the Winchester "look" defined traditional lever rifle in my mind. Of course, I like my BLRs for what they are, which is not traditional. Marlins seemed neither nor fowl, in my eyes, for a long time. Then, I warmed up to Marlins, but finding a nice .357 1894C locally has been a long project. I soon learned I could not "sleep on it" like I have done for many years with most firearms purchases; a couple of good pre-owned ones, one with crossbolt safety, and one pre-safety, got away when I decided to "think about it" for a day or two. New ones in .357 seemed impossible to find, anywhere, except for the Cowboy models, and even they were rare in .357.

When I found this one, it was all I could do to not ask them to hold it for me. I was not sure I could afford it. Then, a couple of days later, my paycheck deposit revealed some overtime pay accrued during the Hurricane Ike aftermath had been paid. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Marlin still available. I was told there had just been a phone inquiry, but the caller had not asked them to hold the Marlin. I feel lucky and blessed.

I am not a hardcore pistol-rifle-same-cartridge-combo kind of guy, but the logistics of long and short weapons in .357 is appealing. .357 ammo is nicely compact, with a large number of rounds not taking up much room. Remembering some of ScottT's posts, the .357 takes on a whole new level of performance when fired from a carbine, and this little Marlin is just so handy, compared to every other long gun I presently own. What's not to like? :)
Have Colts, will travel.

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Well, while the link lasts, here are dealer photos of my Marlin. When they take it off their website, the pics will be gone.

http://collectorsfirearms.com/admin/pro ... emID=23177
Have Colts, will travel.

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

What a lucky feller you are Rexter. I just flat out think the 94C is one of the neatest, most usefull firearms I own. It is sure death on small game and garden pests, a very viable defensive rifle, and packs considerable punch when loaded with CastCores or BuffBore 180's. It certainly gets a solid "10" in the PerfectPlinker category if you ask me.

I also spent several years looking and not finding. Sure happy when one finally sideswiped my wallet though.

Now you will be digging up old threads to see how much fun others have had with the lowly .357.

Enjoy,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Wow, a week later, and the photos of the rifle I bought are still on their site. Usually, they pull them off within a day or two. I posted the link in a post above this one. Once they do pull the photos, the link will not work, though you will still be on their site, and can use the little search box to see lots of fun stuff. Pricey, but fun.
Have Colts, will travel.