Today's Shop projects pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Today's Shop projects pics

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, another weekend and a few more projects. These are rather simple comparitively.

The first was replacing the old ratty scope rings on my swede 94 with a nice new pair of Weaver Grand Slam rings - I like these as they allow the front of the scope tube to protrude beyond the rings - unlike the previous pair:

The second and third projects were to install some new threaded apertures and insterts on my Marlin 356 Win and 45-70 rifles:

These took a little more work as the Lyman inserts were too large in diameter and restricted the elevation adjustment on the sight when installed -so they got ground down to just a small disk as pictured, but it worked fine.

Final projects were to install sling swivels on my Marlin 45-70 and my Winchester 30-30AI (pictured):

Had to modify the front tube rings (grind to fit tighter) and install a plastic shim under them on the Marlin to make them fit properly but it worked out fine - the Winchester was uneventful and straight forward.

Now to find time to get to the range...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Today's Shop projects pics

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My kind of shop work! I wish I had the skill! :D
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Nice work, I really like the rear sight threading job. AO sight right?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice work. I am definitely one of the "lacking the skill to do that" crew. Wish I had learned when I was younger and had the time. I barely have the time to steal a couple of hours for a range session. 1886.
tom
Levergunner

Post by tom »

i enjoyed the projects, but could you give me more info on the 336 .366?

i new and maybe you've don the talk on the 356 conversion. i was under the understanding it was a bit much for the Marlin.

tom
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

tom wrote:i enjoyed the projects, but could you give me more info on the 336 .366?

i new and maybe you've don the talk on the 356 conversion. i was under the understanding it was a bit much for the Marlin.

tom
Tom,

Welcome to the board! The .356 Conversion is quite straight forward - a simple rechamber (done with a finishing reamer) and either a new 30-30 bolt or mill the face of the 35 Rem bolt to work with the .356. I had mine done by Regan Nonneman http://www.leveractions.com

The 336 Marlin is totally up to the .356 Win pressure level - in fact, they did nothing special or different with the 336 receivers or barrels when they chambered the .356 and .375 Winchester rounds back in the 80's.

Reo, those are XS sights - and all I did was grind down the aperture disks to fit - but as it turns out, they don't allow any adjustement to lower the sights so I took em off.... live and learn.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
tom
Levergunner

Post by tom »

Thanks for the info.

Tom
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner