OT- Who is hunting yet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Packmule

OT- Who is hunting yet?

Post by Packmule »

Just wondering how many guys are hitting the woods yet? I have been thinking about some hog hunting but will have to wait till next week. Then about a month and deer season starts. :D :D :D :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Who is hunting yet?

Post by Pete44ru »

Well, I haven't, but my son's been in Newfoundland, Canada (moose & bear hunting) all this week.
He already took a Spring bear, in New Bruinswick, earlier this year.

(good sausage, though ;) )

natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Leave Town tomorrow AM, should get two loads in on pack horses by dark. Shooting starts Sunday AM On Idaho side of Hells Canyon(UNIT 23,Cow elk by permit only). General deer season opens there on the 10th.. figure to start packing out on the 15th..Snow predicted above 6000 ft. Saturday PM into Sunday.. :) Nate
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Leave Town tomorrow AM, should get two loads in on pack horses by dark. Shooting starts Sunday AM On Idaho side of Hells Canyon(UNIT 23,Cow elk by permit only). General deer season opens there on the 10th.. figure to start packing out on the 15th..Snow predicted above 6000 ft. Saturday PM into Sunday.. Nate
Good hunting !I have guided in that country before back in th early 90's ,really good hunting up that way.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I have deer starting in three weeks and a Desert Bighorn hunt (my dad's tag) in Nevada in November. I'm getting anxious. I have yet to pick which levergun to use for deer - I guess I better figure it out pretty soon.

I look forward to seeing everyone's posts of their trips.
Chad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not big game and not enough of anything...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Had a good bear hunt last month in Maine. Archery season is open here, but I just don't have the time. Prolly won't get to hunt anything else till firearms season in mid Nov.
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Bow season opened here in Arkansaw today. I saw several deer but not close enough for a shot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Deer season has come and gone, but we'll be headin' off the Colorado to bag a few fat cow elk. I never did figger out what to with them bull horns. All they do is decorate the barn and gazebo down at the ranch. The tried and true .348 Winchester will be taggin' along with me. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

tree rats! since 15 September. Still too many leaves on the trees.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

spaceman spiff wrote:tree rats! since 15 September. Still too many leaves on the trees.

Regards,

Troy
Use a shotgun!!!! :D
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Now THAT'S a grin!!!!!!!! :D

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I'm starting my packing now, then packing in and setting up camp in 7 days. Deer season opens in 10 days. We get about 20 days this year for deer. Then right after elk!

I'll be packing a 38-55 Marlin Cowboy to camp. If I don't tag up on something I'll be using a Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag around here close to home (like out the back door!).

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

got a bit of hunting in A-zone already, getting ready for D-11 in two more weeks. This is my first time hunting two seasons, not a bad deal. Just wish it was easier to see deer out here!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Already been bow hunting with no success....
Started sept. 20th
too many skeeters...about thrown me out of the stand..
may go again this weekend!
or maybe to the gun show in orlando!
muzzle loader starts the 25th of oct.
general gun Nov. 8th
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

There has been an early Pennsylvania Goose season open for a while and Dove season has been open since Sept. 1 - but some more fun starts here on Saturday - it is the start of our archery deer season - I am hoping to get out for an evening hunt, not sure if the Martin recurve or the Hoyt compound will go along. Then in about 2 weeks - we will have a week long anterless deer season with muzzleloaders and general small game.

the fun is just beginning.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

went to texas for a shoot in August, but archery deer season starts this saturday and Dove season has been in for a month. the 18th is muzzleloader season for doe, and squirrel, rabbit and pheasant come in on the 25th, then we are good to go on something until Feb.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Deer, pheasant, dove, coyote, and lots and lots of prairie dogs every year.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm going to be offline from Fri AM to Wed AM to go Phesant Hunting/Job Schmoozing/Networking with some "community economic development" types.

If I'm lucky we'll run into some coyotes that need killing... since I'll have the only gun really capable of getting them (9.3x72R on the Drilling)

We'll see.

Deer (firearms) doesn't start till Nov. IIRC Bow has started, but I'm not into warm-weather hunting. Only place I've got to hang a carcass is on my screen porch, so it needs to maintain sub 40deg.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

All done here, two pronghorns in the freezer.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No hunts this year for me, AT ALL! I put in for 4 draw hunts for buck, doe, elk, and antelope, and didn't get any of them! I'm ticked off at Oregon, so I wont give them any of my money this year for general season tags.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Just purchased my tags today, but will wait for rifle season.Here in tennessee (Ft Campbell area deer are everywhere. Can't wait for Nov!!!!!
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Small game is open now until mid January, managed to miss a few ruffed grouse so far. Deer with rifle (buck only) opens on Nov 1st for 2weeks. Nov 7 is muzzle loader in closer zone (my back yard, buck or doe). Thats when I take 2 weeks off and hunt either rifle or front stuffer for a week and then a week of front loader only. Really looking forward to the time off.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Only squirrels so far. Early rabbit season on the Gov. land just down the road opened Oct. 1st, but I prefer it cold when I look for rabbits. Archery deer opened on Oct. 1st also, but I don't walk the woods with feathered sticks anymore. Firearm deer doesn't happen until last couple of weeks in Nov. So a long wait yet.
UNITE
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I keep having deer around my stand, just not a good clear shot yet but maybe next time.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my season opens up next Saturday, that was quick!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've shot a handfull of grouse so far. General deer and elk are open, and I have a black bear tag, but haven't "hunted" very hard yet. Still warm, and most of the game is hanging pretty high up so far. Everyone I've talked to around here has seen little game anywhere accesible. Key word. I was up on the mountain the other day with another guy, we walked in about 3 miles,.....Sittling there resting and looking around, I said, "I REALLY hope I don't see anything back in here". A couple more "nature walks", and I'll be ready to shoot some meat in someones pasture or yard. I can walk in the mountains or hills any time I want, without having to kill myself packing a deer or elk out. Now grouse hunting with a rifle or pistol is actually fun, and isn't hard to pack out the results. Looking forward to the tail end of general deer, when we can shoot does.

There's a boar black bear hanging around the bottom of the mountain, from the report, he has a bad attitude. Treed a bow hunter a week ago. He may be interesting to hunt. Grizzlies have been a bit rowdy recently also. Keeps it interesting going out in the hills, tho they (as do the wolves)have the elk moving a lot more than used to be the case.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Deer season starts the end of this month up here in Maine.

Unfortunately, the land where I've hunted for the last decade is being sold, so we
don't know whether we'll be able to hunt there or not. I tend to be on the optimistic side,
so I'll think good thoughts and hope for the best!

The herd is down a bit this year, too. Last winter's record-setting snows didn't help.
There's t least one decent buck in the immediate locale, so there is hope!
pete-driver
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pete-driver »

I went scouting today. I also tested four different powders in my 30-06 on our range on our 40 acres. I found two active scrapes and a few rubs. I pulled some ferns out of my blind and scraped last years old leaves out. Here is a couple of pictures of my blind and what I see from inside. I took a nice spike here two years ago.
This is the box blind my uncle sits in.He dug a hole next to his chair so he can stand and stretch.This box will be replaced in two weeks,the old one lasted twelve years.
This is where my cousin sets up a pop up blind, he took a six point here two years ago.John