Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 Bore Diameter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
winman76
Levergunner

Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 Bore Diameter

Post by winman76 »

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 1894 Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55WCF. I am planning on loading Lead bullets for this rifle. Does anyone know the correct bore diameter bullet to use. I have found cast bullets available in .376, .379, and .381 diameter available. I want to make sure I order the right size and not end up with a box of bullets I can not use
Hobie

Re: Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 Bore Diameter

Post by Hobie »

Slug YOUR rifle's bore. :wink: That is the ONLY way to know for sure.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome. This topic came up the other day. We assume you are referring to groove diameter. Many weighted in and it seems they vary. History repeats itself yet again. Hobie is correct. You MUST slug your rifle's bore to be certain. Generally a cast bullet that is .001" larger than your rifle's groove diameter will be appropriate. Regards, 1886.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum.

If you find out let us know. I have a Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 sitting in the safe that hasn't been shot. I'd like to know what it takes, so when I do go to shoot it I'll have the right stuff.
Old Law Dawg
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

I've got a Legendary Frontiersman also and I'd make a small wager that if we all slugged our bbls that there would be as much variation in them as was in the older rifles.
Slugging it is the ONLY way to go.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

i think you should take that gun of of your safe and get an unexplicable urge to mail it to me :mrgreen:
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...