What do you wear hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

What do you wear hunting?

Post by bsaride »

Coming down to the wire and since I haven't hunted in ten years I thought I'd ask the experts.
I will be buying some new camoflage in the next week or so and want your input. I am hunting
in southern Calif and thinking that a lighter camo would be best. First glance, I like RealTree
AP HD.

Tell me what you wear hunting whether camo or not. Thanks in advance, Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you wear hunting?

Post by El Chivo »

Orange above the waist, with jeans.

I ran across some orange pimp dress shirts that are nice because they have long sleeves and collars - to cut down on sunburn.

My hat is a Propper that I dyed orange.

If you do wear camo at least go for an orange hat. But there aren't many hunters around in CA, I usually have the place to myself.

Wearing this getup I still managed to lay low and observe a spike buck (and his sister) eating for about 45 minutes one morning. I also took a buck from about 15 yards. It's not the sight, it's the smell (or noise) that will give you away. Last month I was sitting in ambush and a doe walked up to the edge of the clearing. She was pointing her nose straight at me from about 40 yards, and although she smelled me immediately she never saw me from that position.

Camo is for turkeys, who can see like we can.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

My wife and I never wore camo until this last week. We could tell a difference. With regular clothes we were spooking deer several hundred yards away. With camo they would look at us when we moved but didn't spook and then would go back to whatever they were doing. If we didn't move they ignored us even when we were in the open. It will make a difference how you hunt. If you sit in a blind it won't matter much. If you move around a lot the camo helps from what I saw.

We bought our camo at Cabelas. They have a sale on now. My wife is wearing their Seclusion 3D Open Country in the picture in this thread:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10290
That is the ripstop cotton clothing . It has vents for hot weather. The black stripe is mesh that goes under the arm and down the sleeve.

I also bought a pair of pants at Big 5 that are Advantage Max-1 HD Open Terrain that look good in our country. It has more green and brown than the Seclusion pattern and fits fairly well into our brush country. I couldn't find any pattern that matched our terrain and vegetation exactly. The western patterns tend to be more sage than we have. I don't think it matters a great deal. There is a lot of info on the web about how deer see. They do not see red colors so blaze orange looks grey to them. They see very well at the blue end of the spectrum so blue jeans may not be the best but I hunted for years in blue jeans.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Natural Gear almost exclusively. I have other stuff but I almost never wear it.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

For early season bow hunting, I use realtree. once it gets cold, I have fulson wool vest and and pants in grey/plaid which i use orange hat and vest on during gun season. For late late season muzzleloader I use period dress. I hunt in moccasins for bow in dry weather, rubber boots for wet weather, and lace up leather for period dress. The ancient in me begs to go as natural as possible. The period dress is both comfortable and functional during muzzleloader. Its fairly warm in early season though. the orange is required here during small game and big game general seasons, but not during late season muzzleloader or early season bow.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

levis, a long-sleeved plaid shirt and a sports vest with gear for the venture in the pockets and a hat of some sort, ususally a fred bear style borsalina or a 'nam style camo hat.

i seldom spend more than a day out now anyway and i also don't feel the need for camo as i believe movement is the real key to "camo"; not moving at critical times.

i "snipe"; i do not move fast or often. i rely more on not disturbing the critters than not being seen. i like to find a good place, usually a high hill or knob, rock pile or such and "hunker down" and wait. my "camo" is usually being secreted in the rocks, trees or shadows.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

If ya want to wear camoflage -- fine. But it's really a waste of time. Just wear a pair of jeans and a plaid shirt or even a plain shirt. Funny how everyone managed to get deer, bear, elk, etc. before camoflage clothing came along.

CA does not require orange clothing or hats.

It cracks me up when ya see pictures of people decked out head-to-foot in camaflage and then see that they have a big, bright, orange, vest on. Too funny and ridiculous.
ED
Yer never too old
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I rarely ever sit.
So I dress light.
I've a "turkey hunting vest" with orange on it with plenty of pockets for stuff and a game bag.
Depending on the temp its BDU's or Real-tree camo wool heavy shirt and wool pants, lite weight boots and ball or wool cap.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I wear all kinds of stuff - depends on what's going on with the weather and how I'm hunting.

I have many different kinds of camo ranging from East German flectar to Real Tree to dessert digital. I've collected different articles of hunt wear over the years - mostly as I find em on sale...

If you're intending to still hunt, you might consider one of the 3-d brands - with fuzzy, leaf-like fabric sewn onto the outside to break up your outline - works really well. I've set-up with this on (with a face mask too) and deer have looked right at me from 25 yards away and not been spooked - if the winds' in your favor and you don't move of course.

Anything that breaks up your outline is good - try and select something (since you're buying) that will match the flora of the area that you intend to hunt and provides comfort and good moisture management (sweat) for the weather. Of course, layering is the way to go regardless. An orange hat is a good idea IMHO - I like my stormy kromer a lot, but here too, I wear what I need to for warmth. Sometimes it's a Texas A&M camo hat if its warmer. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:If ya want to wear camouflage -- fine. But it's really a waste of time. Just wear a pair of jeans and a plaid shirt or even a plain shirt. Funny how everyone managed to get deer, bear, elk, etc. before camouflage clothing came along.
I've often gotten just as close in whatever as in camo.
It cracks me up when ya see pictures of people decked out head-to-foot in camouflage and then see that they have a big, bright, orange, vest on. Too funny and ridiculous.
The thing is my warmest most comfortable "for hunting" clothes are camo now because that is what is mostly available. Of course the patterns are mixed (how do you return a gift just because it is the "wrong" pattern?). VA mandates blaze orange during the "regular" firearms season for deer. Still, I laugh at myself sometimes. The get-ups I wear, what is at hand, are sometimes laughable indeed. One thing though, I'm not turning down a chance at a hunt just because I don't have the perfect outfit (and boy do I hate that term).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I do have some camoflage gear and as Hobie stated much of it is from gifts. I do wear camoflage sometimes but as I stated/implied, it just isn't necessary for a successful hunt.

Even though CA doesn't require orange, I do wear it at times, especially when bird hunting (pheasants, dove, quail, etc.) with others and when hunting public lands.

I guess the best way to sum it up is to say, "The deer could care less what you're wearing". I'd bet that most deer say after having been shot, "Oh stuff" and not "Oh my, look what a fancy outfit my hunter has on".
ED
Yer never too old
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Depends on the weather. Warm (meaning 30s or low 40s in late November in PA) I wear long undies, jeans, wool shirt, maybe a wool sweater, reproduction WWII tank crewman's jacket, and PA required orange vest and hat. Cold (20s or colder), I wear the same long undies, jeans, and wool shirt and sweater, and put my camo and insulated goose hunting bibs and jacket on, again with the required orange on top of everything. I've had deer get within 20 yards of me simply because I sat still. I wasn't wearing camo at the time.

~Michael
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Modoc ED wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong -- I do have some camoflage gear and as Hobie stated much of it is from gifts. I do wear camoflage sometimes but as I stated/implied, it just isn't necessary for a successful hunt.

I guess the best way to sum it up is to say, "The deer could care less what you're wearing". I'd bet that most deer say after having been shot, "Oh stuff" and not "Oh my, look what a fancy outfit my hunter has on".

I think Modoc has it about right. I have successfully hunted pronghorns for the last 21 years using a flintlock and my longest shot has been about 51 yards. I have never worn a bit of camo just regular clothes and a red hat. Camo was never worn here in Wyoming until a few years ago and I think now the guys just wear it to be cool. :D

I recall the first time I ever saw the camo phenomenon, I was somewhere in Texas at a cafe way early in the morning and in came a bunch of guys in Army fatigues, green camo pattern, I thought to myself "must be National Guard weekend" and then " Wow, what an undisciplined rabble, long hair, boots not shined, etc" waitress informed me its opening day of hunting season, had never occured to me guys would get gussied up like soldiers to go hunting. :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I wear camo because its whats on sale, and the BDU's have big pockets. :D
I've a nice red wool shirt that gets a lot of use in the early morning when its around 50 deg out.
I hear the camo no camo argument a lot and its mostly hot air or a class thing and a wast of time. As long as your in the woods and hunting preferably with a new or young hunter I could care less what you wear.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I wore my Pendleton wool shirt, long johns, dark jeans and Danner boots this last weekend. I had my orange fleece vest for when I got into position. I always find it amazing that my dad and my granddad somehow got by without camo for all their lives... :o
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The most advantage I have found lately is a camo soft face mask and covering my hands, sure makes a differance.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

This is a good subject. I was a hunting guide for a few years and all I have or will ever wear hunting is a brown coat, britches any thing but camo and a cowboy hat most of the time. What has always craked me up is when you look in any hunting mag and there is a hunter next to his guide and the hunter is decked out in the lastest got to have camo pattern and the guide has on a carhart coat, snake boots ,and a cowboy hat not a stitch of camo. Whats wrong with that picture....??? The only time I have ever wore camo is once turkey hunting and I don't think it made that much of a difference. I am sorry to rant. I just have never understood camo for hunting, its more for people than the things your after.
Last edited by Packmule on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I wear a thong and big rubber boots... :lol:

(sorry for the image, guys)
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks Quinn.

Now how do I gouge out my mind's eye? :lol:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

m65 field jacket, orange hooded sweatshirt underneath. orange small or big game vest over. state law requires so much flour. orange when hunting. if it helps me see a hunter, or a hunter to see me , it's well worth the game missed.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Actually, what I wear is dependent on the weather, but anything from BDUs (ripstop dries quickly) to Surplus GI Wool pants/shirt/sweater with a blaze ruck & took.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bsaride wrote:Coming down to the wire and since I haven't hunted in ten years I thought I'd ask the experts.
I will be buying some new camoflage in the next week or so and want your input. I am hunting
in southern Calif and thinking that a lighter camo would be best. First glance, I like RealTree
AP HD.

Tell me what you wear hunting whether camo or not. Thanks in advance, Jay
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/scien ... nted=print

By JOHN TIERNEY
Approximately 30,000 years after hunters took to adorning cave walls with their image of a deer, it occurred to them it might be more productive to consider the deer’s image of a hunter.

This was not an easy task. Deer have not left cave paintings of any humans, much less of hunters in camouflage. Those manly overalls and caps splotched with green leaves and brown branches may have looked invisible in the catalogue and impressed the other humans back at the lodge, but what did the deer think of it? Were they just rolling their eyes at each other?

Eventually, though, a few deer were bribed to reveal their secrets. They were given food pellets in return for taking vision tests. The results were not good news for the camo-clad hunters — but ultimately not really good news for the deer either.

For now, thanks to decades of research into ungulate vision combined with the latest in military concealment technology, hunters can don a computer-generated camouflage with fractal designs that look nothing like a shrub or a tree, at least not to the human eye. Named Optifade, it’s being introduced this fall by W.L. Gore (the makers of the breathable Gore-Tex rain gear) and promoted as the first camouflage scientifically designed to make hunters invisible to deer.

The deer, as usual, are not available for comment, so these claims of invisibility cannot be directly verified. But the psychologists who worked with Gore to develop it — Jay Neitz, an animal-vision expert at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Timothy O’Neill, who pioneered the United States Army’s digital camouflage as a researcher at West Point — say they’re confident the deer will be fooled.

“A camouflage that makes a person look like a tree can work if you’re in a place where other trees look like that,” Dr. Neitz says. “But what if you’re somewhere else, or if the deer sees you move? This new camouflage is a totally different approach. It fools the deer’s vision system at its roots, so that it doesn’t recognize the person as anything.”

At Dr. Neitz’s laboratory, he tests some animals’ vision by training them to press touch screens, but the deer weren’t quite ready for the computer age. He and researchers at the University of Georgia showed them three cards at a time and rewarded them with food pellets when they picked out the right pattern by pushing a button with their noses.

“We can measure in animals anything you can measure in a human being and every bit as accurate,” Dr. Neitz says. “The difference is that a vision test that might take 10 minutes in a human can take six months.” The research revealed that deer vision is a little blurrier than human vision — about 20/40 — and that deer see the world roughly like a human with red-green colorblindness. Their eyes have only two color receptors (unlike the three in the human eye). Fortunately for hunters, they have a hard time seeing blaze orange.

But they’re more sensitive than humans to light at the blue end of the spectrum. And thanks to the eyes on either side of the head, they can see a field of vision covering 270 degrees.

Once they had assessed the deer’s visual strengths and weaknesses, Dr. Neitz and Dr. O’Neill worked out colors, textures and shapes with Guy Cramer of HyperStealth Biotechnology, a company that designs military camouflage. Mr. Cramer’s computer algorithms create fractal patterns that exploit a couple of ancient tricks used by animal predators.

The first and most obvious trick is to fade into the background, as a leopard’s spots enable it to do while it’s patiently waiting to ambush a prey. The spots aren’t shaped like leaves or branches, but they form an overall “micropattern” matching the colors and overall texture of the woodland background.

That trick, though, won’t work for a predator on the move, which is why a tiger doesn’t have spots. It has a “macropattern” of stripes that break up the shape of its body as it’s stalking or running.

“The prey can detect the tiger’s movement,” Dr. Neitz says, “but if the shape isn’t recognized as the outline of a tiger, nothing registers in the higher center of the prey’s brain.”

After 19th-century naturalists and 20th-century psychologists analyzed these camouflage techniques, military researchers worked out formulas for the optimum patterns. Before he retired from the engineering psychology department at the United States Military Academy, Dr. O’Neill developed the type of pixelated digital camouflage — made up of tiny colored squares — adopted in the past decade by many armies.

“The essence of digital camouflage goes back to the old question: Is the purpose of camouflage to match the background or to break up the shape of the target?” Dr. O’Neill says. “The answer is yes — you do both. You create a micropattern that matches the ‘busyness’ of the background and makes it harder to detect the target, and you overlay it with a macropattern that makes it harder to recognize the shape of the target once you’ve detected it.” (For a look at these patterns, go to TierneyLab.)

But no matter how carefully the patterns have been computed, no matter how precisely the new hunter’s digital camouflage is calibrated to deer’s vision, there remains one large uncertainty: Will hunters wear overalls covered with pixelated squares that look like computer-generated abstract art? Or will they stick with their traditional preference (see cave paintings) for representational art?

Getting soldiers, at least the male ones, to switch to digital camouflage wasn’t easy, Dr. O’Neill says, because for many men camouflage is less about invisibility than fashion. Some soldiers hung on to the old-fashioned designs because of what Dr. O’Neill called the C.D.I. factor: Chicks Dig It.

If male hunters feel that way about their old overalls, there may still be lots of shrubs and trees toting guns and bows during hunting season. These guys may or may not be right about women going for this look. But the deer probably appreciate it.

http://www.optifade.com/

-------------

RE: Non CDI Camo:
http://www.morningwood4u.com/index.htm :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never wear camo, and generally I just wear blue jeans and something red or orange. I try to be sure to layer clothing on top, as weather in the fall here can go from high 30's to mid 80's by afternoon, and hiking gets pretty warm. I want to be able to remove clothing as the temperatures rise, so I usually wear a orange vest that I can slip back over after removing layers. Of course the orange Tshirt is the last, as if it gets hot enough to get down to that, I don't even want the vest!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Usually, any old thing, especially something I don't mind getting blood and guts on. Muted colors, mostly. I'm supposed to wear orange here in Wyoming but I'm bad, sometimes carry a vest in my pocket to put on if I feel the need. Wyoming law is a little heavy-handed in anything to do with hunting, if you ask me. Too many wildlife bureaucrats.
With regular clothes we were spooking deer several hundred yards away. With camo they would look at us when we moved but didn't spook...
Despite all the "Grampa never needed no camo" around here, I think I believe this. If you are not moving, it doesn't matter, but if you are they are going to pick up on large solid blocks of color easier than camo. Also they will detect unnatural shapes or human shapes easier. So if I were going to move a lot, I'd probably wear the camo I've picked up here and there. That florescent orange camo looks pretty silly to me, but I'll bet it works.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Ok. The majority of my hunting is done in southern to central New England , sometimes a jaunt into northern New England to boot. It really depends on the time of year so I will go with a chronological progression of what I wear in the woods.

Early Archery season: September-October: The early mornings can be in the low 40's and climb to 75 F or more in the afternoon. I wear a base shirt of thermax with a Polar fleece top over it The bottoms are usually polar fleece sweat pants. The main camoflage is a Rancho Safari two peice Ghillie Suit. Out of a stand I am very comfortable and have fallen in love with this type of camoflage. It works exceptionally well.IN the afternoon I will shed the thermax and wear a cotton longsleeve T shirt. This is the only time I wear cotton in the woods. To me, cotton is utterly useless when cold and wet.Which we get in New England.

Mid-Archery Season: October-Early November: Early mornings can be in the thirties and then climb into the 50's and possibly low 60s on rare days. I wear the same base but add a polar tec fleece vest to the above. I also include a merino wool skull cap under the ghillie boonie hat. Thin thermax gloves are also added to the outfit. My mother is an excellent seamstress and has made a couple of polar tec outfits for me. The factory, Malden Mills, has an outlet store so I bought a bunch of fabric one time. I wear that when it is chilly.

I will add that the ghillie suit is carried in a watertight bag for scent prevention purposes. I don the ghillie on when I am at my hunting spot.

Rifle season: Mid November: Early mornings can be in the twenties and go up into the forties or so. Sometimes warmer but I do remember hunting in snow for Thanksgiving more than once. I wear green or Malone wool pants. Wool is king in the cold. As a rule I hunt out of a treestand so I don't move around all that much. Schnee's pack boots with heavy socks . Merino wool underwear and a polar tec pull over sweater with an insulated shirt on top. Orange fleece vest and hat, we're good for most anything.

Shotgun Season: Early December: The same conditions and outfit as above. This works even when we may get a couple mornings that are in the teens.

Muzzleloader season: Mid December to New Years Day: Ok. This will test the manhood of most men. Standing tall in a stand with a cold north by northwest wind bringing the windchill down to 0 or below that number. I wear the same outfit but add another layer of polar fleece and wear some insulated camoflage bib overalls. These are great for staying on a cold stand.

Late Rhode Island archery: January. Last season I recorded where I work the lowest temperature of the year. 1.6 F. With windchill it was down to 20 to 25 below zero. I know some will think I am nuts but I wore my coyote fur hat to keep me warm. Same outfit as muzzleloader season . Again this will test you.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Without reading all the posts I may be duplicating an answer, but "Cabelas" makes very good hunting clothing. I own 5 different sets as we need warm-very cold weather hunting situations up here. My favorite is their Wool Parka and Pants, and they are washable. I have sat for 6 days dawn till dark in below zero in Alberta without getting cold. Good boots also help!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I wear what most of the forum members wear with the addition of Wolverine Durashocks boots. You need to try a pair. They are the most durable, comfortable, and useful boots I have ever owned. I have two pair just in case.
"That'll Be The Day"
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well, that was very enlightening.

I haven't been hunting in about 10 years and we were bowhunting back then
for probably 10-15 years prior to lifes little adventure.

We would always wear camo for the bowhunting and I feel that I must wear
camo when chasing deer and bear this fall. I will be hunting new territory
and expect to do considerable walking/glassing for deer. Sounds like the
camo will help in this situation. For bear this year I am going into a new
area as well, but this will be scouting for sign and then taking a stand on
the ground. If I wear camo for this I feel I will not have to construct a blind.

Of the camo I've seen without spending alot of time looking, I like the
Natural Gear the best. Mostly chaparral some oak and pines for deer,
less chaparral and more trees (and vertical surfaces) for the bear.

Work is busy (I work from home) and customer is putting the pressure on.
Won't keep me out of the woods this year but I will be working more evenings
until I get caught up. Friday I pick up a Savage 99 30-30 takedown and Saturday
I will put together the Marlin 1893 30-30 takedown. Sunday is range day and I
will decide which gets to go two weeks later. Remington 150gr for deer and picked
up some older Federal 170gr Partition ammo for bear. Now to start working on my
stealth mode, lol.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

out here in MO i usually wear a light bib and coat in camo and layer up cuz it can be cold or hot during the day or if its gonna be cold all day i got a pair of camo coveralls :D . orange hat and a vest when im moving. thought one year i did wear a pair of blue coveralls ony saw one deer and it spooked before i could get a shot nice 8pt thought :cry: .
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Layers, with either Mossy Oak Break-Up or DCU's on top. Depends where I'm going hunting.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I do think it helps to break up your outline. For example I had a beard when I saw the most deer up close. A big fleshy face stands out.

I might get some fake leaves for my hat, maybe the vest too. If I go for colors on top of colors it would make me more visible to the guy on the next ridge with the 7mm mag.

I have a pile of extra blaze orange material to cut up and add to my hunting clothes.

I would love to get a mesh screen for my face to keep the flies away.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This photo was taken in Napa County in 1993. I was wearing olive drab flight suit and plain cap. No other hunters were hunting this remote area except my brother and I so orange seemed irrelevant. I've hunted throughout the alpine country of high Sierras and always wore a bright orange cap for safety.

My brother is wearing a camo shirt and cap. We took many bucks off this ridge with our lever guns.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I've been wearing a lot of camo lately because a friend's husband in Germany got all new BDUs and his wife didn't like not having room in the apartment. She emails me and asks if I want some "hunting" clothes. I said sure, whatchogot. Next thing I know a really stuffed duffle shows up full of woodland and desert BDUs, assorted covers, T-shirts included. If it's cold I'll probably go back to my normal brown duck coveralls though for hunting deer.

IME, it's not so much how you dress when it comes to deer, it's how you act. Why do you always see more deer when you are just walking around before the season? Do the "Elmer Fudd cartoon exaggerated" stalk and you won't see much beyond white flags fading. Game animals understand the "predator" body language. Every hunter does it to some extent unconsciously, it's natural, you walk in a state of readiness, a state of anticipation. That's how predators stalk. Deer recognize this body language instinctively. If you imitate the walking/browsing actions of the deer you are after, you'll be amazed how much more you see and get close to.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

If I ever wear out all the red and black wool shirts and coats I have , mayby then I'll have to get some camo. But I can't see spending $$$ on replacing stuff that is still in good shape.
Phil
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Good point Buffboy! I try to maintain a relaxed yet attentive state. Kind of a zen thing. The emotionless all seeing eye. Pursue the game but be indifferent to the outcome. If I am "there", I become part of the mountain and the animals treat me as such. I believe there is more to it than body language. I think there are senses we have that we civilized types don't exercise and so are out of touch with. The animals have it too and they use those senses daily. I "feel" bucks. If I am tuned in I know if there is a buck around before I see him. I think the deer likewise sense the hyper hunter. It is hard for me to achieve the right mental state with somebody else around. If I really want to hunt I backpack in and go alone. It also takes a few days in the wilderness to get there. It is hard to go from 9 to 5 to the hunting frame of mind.

I will go further. I knew last Monday that I was going to kill a buck Wednesday morning and what canyon it would be in. I also know when I am not going to kill a buck. I don't know where that knowledge comes from but it is there. You all probably think I am crazy but I think we all have senses we don't use and are not aware of. Millions of years of evolution as hunters doesn't get erased by 10,000 years of so called civilization. I would say most experienced hunters have developed and use these senses to some degree whether they recognize it or not.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Had to post this is my typical hunting garb, the rifle is a 1965 Marlin 30-30

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Hunting in S. Cal. can be cold early and then 85 degrees by noon.I layer up lightly and also wear a camo
fine mesh head mask.It breaks up your face but I like it because the gnats and flys stay away from my
ears and face.I can stay still without the bugs driving you nutts.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

depends on the weather if its warm even if its raining I wear work clothes & leather boots or pacs, if its cold and snowy I wear wool and pacs always a cowboy hat and I never wear orange anymore I got tired of all the keystone lite boys looking thru their scopes at me riding a horse seems like only 1 out of a 100 has binos. danny
Critters dont care what your wearing, didnt bother this bull