OT - We need a new single shot!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

OT - We need a new single shot!

Post by CraigC »

Blame it on Ross Seyfried but I think we need a new single shot. Something along the lines of the old British rook rifles. Long and lean with classic British lines, six pounds or less, chambered in the rimfires and small base centerfires like the .25-20, .32-20, .32H&R, .22Hornet, .218Bee, maybe even a .38Spl. Definitely an octagon barrel option. Good sights, 24" barrel, nice wood, crescent buttplate. Not a barn burner but something for more sedate small game and varmint hunting. It could be a falling block, rolling block or even a trapdoor action. I'll take at least two!

Maybe I just need to save a little money and buy an original rook rifle. I see them sometimes for under $2000.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

....or build one on a small Martini action. The top one is on a W.W. Greener action in .357 Magnum and the one on the right a .22 Sportco with stocks in Tasmanian Blackwood.

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Look around for one of those thousands of $300 used/refinished petite Remington #4 rollers in .32, and rechamber it for .32 H&R.

The low bucks purchase price gives leeway for stock mods, etc.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Nice rifles! That's funny, I was just looking at a little Martini Cadet chambered in .25-20SS on Cabela's site. That's a neat little rifle and a feather light 4lbs, 11oz. Definitely got me to thinking.

I'll look into the Remington #4 too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Last edited by Hobie on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I simply want an affordable 1885 Winchester in .32-40. Think "Welfare" budget! :lol: :x
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They should bring out the Cadets again, this time in .32 H&R.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

She ain't the prettiest girl on the block but she knows how to have fun and fits the bill nicely: My Rossi R357S 357 magnum rifle.
I mostly shoot 38 Specials since I have so much of it but load with 357 mag and she's a great little wild goat gun.

Bruce- That Taz Blackwood is pretty stuff akin to our native Koa wood both being of the Acacia family. There is Taz Blackwood growing on Kaua'i, gotta git me some and turn some bowls.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Bruce Scott wrote:....or build one on a small Martini action. The top one is on a W.W. Greener action in .357 Magnum and the one on the right a .22 Sportco with stocks in Tasmanian Blackwood.

Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Some [expensive] original rooks here:

http://www.pantilesguns.co.uk/rookrifles.htm
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

I wish we could get an H&R like the cowboy 45 rifle in the old time calibers. It meets the criteria as far as style and makes major points for the cool factor! I would like to see the 256 mag. included as well as the possibility of the 30/357 round.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

There's some good ones on that site, a few are pretty affordable, relatively speaking. I especially like this one from their hammerguns page. A rook rifle converted to a .410. With a 28" barrel it still weighs only 4lbs, 4oz!

Something like this would be awesome!
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Hobie wrote:They should bring out the Cadets again, this time in .32 H&R.
Definitely!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rooks aren't that expensive. I recently sold two I had for around $650 ea. One was a nice small frame Martini, and the other a small frame Comblain. One in .380 rook, and the other in .230 Morris Long. (first .22 centerfire) Both weere commecial actions, not reworked guns.
I have a friend who is selling a Martini Rook with octagon barrel now (if it isn't gone) I believe he wanted around $350, and it's pretty nice too. Another .380 Rook gun.
There's enough decent old lightweight rifles around, that I can't see a new one being made that wouldsell for any less than what's available, and they probably would have all sorts of stupid safeties too.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I get another single shot, it will be an undehammer muzzleloader... probably in the .45 range.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

marlinman93 wrote:Rooks aren't that expensive.
They're not bad when you can find them. I've just never had money when I did. They're usually much more affordable than comparable doubles and big game rifles from those big name London shops. I guess there's just not much of a market for such lowly centerfires. It's a shame.

For a new gun, I was also thinking of something like a scaled down Winchester Low Wall or Ruger #1.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK, OK, I'll mention H&R for the umpteenth time. Very pedestrian. Very blue collar. Very inexpensive. And a lot of Fun. Cheap thrills.

Grizz
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

The H&R's are great rifles for the money and their reputation is very good. I've wanted one for a while now, after reading AK Church's articles, just haven't gotten around to it. However, good as they are, they're fairly overweight for what I've got in mind. In the smallbores, with a light enough barrel to get down to the six pound range, the balance is thrown off. Too much beef in the receiver. They could slim down the action by 20% and provide a more classic stock design and have a winner. Think long and lean like a Kentucky rifle.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CraigC wrote:The H&R's are great rifles for the money and their reputation is very good. I've wanted one for a while now, after reading AK Church's articles, just haven't gotten around to it. However, good as they are, they're fairly overweight for what I've got in mind. In the smallbores, with a light enough barrel to get down to the six pound range, the balance is thrown off. Too much beef in the receiver. They could slim down the action by 20% and provide a more classic stock design and have a winner. Think long and lean like a Kentucky rifle.
Yup, there's that too. I like the rollers and the cadets, but never found one I could afford. The H&R is like an artillary piece if you want to shoot rimfires.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Did I mention the Contenders? :lol: Seriously, these are the most cost effective such guns out there right now. It doesn't have to be that way but the US market being what it is I doubt we'll see a much better price point.
Sincerely,

Hobie

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

New 'Rook' rifle

Post by BAGTIC »

Years ago I had an H&R rebored to .32 H&R Magnum. The H&R action is very heavy for such a small cartridge. The Rossis are better proportioned. Unfortunately both H&R and Rossi have discontinued the pistol calibers.

The Contender and such are not appropriate for most people. They are simply too expensive.

When I see O/U and S/S shotguns of reasonable good quality being imported at $350-$400 dollars retail it is apparent that a nice break action singleshot rifle could be marketed at little more than H&R prices, certainly less than $300.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I haven't priced things for a while but just a few months ago I could get Contender frames for about $250 and barrels for about $150 (maybe much less and, yes, much more depending on the chambering and maker) and stocks aren't that much. When I got mine I got the frames for about $150 each, barrels were from $113 to $200, stocks were as little as $25, forearms about $10-20. Compared to what you get with the Handis, Rossis, etc, it seems a bargain to me. Compared to retail for a bolt gun made in the USofA it is a certain bargain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I would like to see someone build an action like the Ithaca model 49 single shot in centerfire calibers maybe a 22 hornet or 30 carbine .It looks like a Winchester and operates like a martini. Or maybe a Handi rifle with a full octagon barrel and the opening lever on the outside or an underlever
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm glad you brought this up, been meaning to ask if any one has any experience with these two single shots?

Uberti, Rolling Block
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/rollingBlock.tpl

Savage, Stevens Favorite
http://www.savagearms.com/30gtd.htm

I think a nice little .22Mag singleshot would be a pretty classy, small varmint gun!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

salvo,
The little Rolling Block is based on the old Rem. #2 receive, and is a very high quality gun. I looked one over locally at a gun shop and was very impressed! Considering an original #2 in .22lr in minty condition will go $1500-$2000 they are a real bargain too!
The Stevens is a real lowbuck model, with poor quality wood, fit, and finish. They may shoot fine, and be strong enough, but I found them extremely hard to look at compared to the original Stevens Favorites. Trigger pull was horrible too!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks marlinman93, I kinda figured the Savage was pretty rough to look at, but then again Savages usually are very accurate and with a little elbow grease I bet you could make it look good.
I do like the Uberti though, wonder what tang site would be correct for it?
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

"but I found them extremely hard to look at"...???

well put MM . well put!

rafter-7

that made me laugh out loud

Did you say that phrase alot when you were a single man???
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sounds like a Ruger #1 to me.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I've never owned a bad #1 some were just better than others and its seems that ruger chambered just about every caliber out there

my favorite #1 is chambered in 218 Bee

rafter-7
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Rusty wrote:Sounds like a Ruger #1 to me.

Rusty <><

Only if it was scaled down to a more appropriate size. I just ain't gonna tote around a 9lb rimfire. A two-thirds or three-quarter sized #1 would be perfect for the job. Gotta get it down to 6lbs or less, preferably less.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well I'd never put the Ruger #1 in the same class as a "new" Stevens Favorite! I'm not a fan, as I'm not into most the newer guns, but all the #1's I've seen were very nicely fitted and finished, and had nice wood too.

Yea Rafter, I like a gun that looks good at first, and even better on closer examination. Not one that looks good from a long way off, and gets repulsive the closer I get! :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Grizz wrote:
CraigC wrote:The H&R's are great rifles for the money and their reputation is very good. I've wanted one for a while now, after reading AK Church's articles, just haven't gotten around to it. However, good as they are, they're fairly overweight for what I've got in mind. In the smallbores, with a light enough barrel to get down to the six pound range, the balance is thrown off. Too much beef in the receiver. They could slim down the action by 20% and provide a more classic stock design and have a winner. Think long and lean like a Kentucky rifle.
Yup, there's that too. I like the rollers and the cadets, but never found one I could afford. The H&R is like an artillary piece if you want to shoot rimfires.
If I wanted to shoot a single-shot rimfire I would pack the Ithaca 49. As far as I can tell it patterns as tight as my 9422, and a little lighter to carry.

The only thing I don't care for are it's crude sights.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Hobie wrote:I haven't priced things for a while but just a few months ago I could get Contender frames for about $250 and barrels for about $150 (maybe much less and, yes, much more depending on the chambering and maker) and stocks aren't that much. When I got mine I got the frames for about $150 each, barrels were from $113 to $200, stocks were as little as $25, forearms about $10-20. Compared to what you get with the Handis, Rossis, etc, it seems a bargain to me. Compared to retail for a bolt gun made in the USofA it is a certain bargain.

I have priced them about 100 different ways, and any way you go it's gonna be about $450-500 for the whole enchilada.

They seem to hold their re-sale value as well, so it's harder to find a bargin.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'll repeat that I think the Contenders ARE a bargain... $450 to set up plus $150-250 for each additional caliber is pretty good. Oh, the H&R Handis can be cheaper but they are and as noted are heavier as well. They just don't meet the rook rifle ideal. :wink:

Knight Rifles is also coming out with a switch barrel single shot, the KP1. Must be lots of interest in these types of rifles. I should note that I couldn't find a price on these guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

charles daly mini-sharps

Post by hfcable »

daly is starting to import a scaled down sharps in rimfire and some pistol calibers [and in 38/55]; cant find the pictures but that would be a really neat choice for this purpose, perhaps?
cable
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Hobie wrote: They just don't meet the rook rifle ideal. :wink:
I must not get the "Rook rifle" ideal.

I get the "Cheap rifle" ideal though, very well actually. :lol:

You're right about the fact that more calibers can be had cheaper than buying more guns, but the inital investment into the endevour is scary. :shock:
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

rook rifles from mick shepherd

Post by hfcable »

http://www.micksguns.com/rook%20&%20rabbit%20rifles.htm

though his website is misbehaving presently; lots of nice ones there and some in other categories too!
cable
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my contenders and encore do just fine.you would hard pressed to find a more accurate carbine/pistol combo.
pete

DAV life member.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have a couple of the old style Contenders, Hobie & txpete is right they are a great little single shots.
Been meaning to buy the rifle stocks and a barrel in .223 for a long range varmint set up, if I could find a deal.

30-30 Super 14

22 LR and 7mmTCU 10"
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The Contender carbines don't work for me because of the stock design. I would also need a custom stock. That puts it totally out of range.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

A "Ruger #2" would be nice, same action but smaller. Love the idea... probably wouldn't buy one. They'd be too much money.

I was THRILLED by the news that they were going to make a Favorite again. Until I handled one and was so disappointed.

I love my Contenders, but don't much care for them as long guns. The only stock that "feels" good is a thumbhole style, but then they are heavy, a bit ugly and far from light and handy.

I have a few H&R/NEF shotgun, and my dad has one handi-rifle, but they kinda leave me cold. The Rossi single may be the ugliest SS rifle I've seen.

I kinda like the CZ single, but again probable wouldn't buy one. Maybe.

Even the poor mans rook rifle has gone out of reach of the poor man.

Last edited by cas on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

The Contender and Encore are great guns but neither really fits what I'm looking for. That's why I said we need a "new" single shot, nothing on the current market fits the job description.