Winchester 94 in 32 W.C.F.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sammer
Levergunner

Winchester 94 in 32 W.C.F.

Post by sammer »

Do any of you know if Winchester made a model 94 in 32 W.C.F.?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 in 32 W.C.F.

Post by El Chivo »

I'm pretty sure I saw one at the gun store about a year ago. Could have been some other "32" though. It was an old gun.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

No buddy model 1892 came in 32 WCF or more commonly called 32-20, model 1894 or 94's for short came in 32 Winchester Special, but from what I have read I would not touch one to many problems with accuracy when the barrel wears a bit. Hope this helps. winchester 1886.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

winchester1886 wrote: but from what I have read I would not touch one to many problems with accuracy when the barrel wears a bit. Hope this helps. winchester 1886.
+1 on the 1892 were made in 32 WCF and 1894's in 32 Specials

???? I do not really understand the above quote, though. Both firearms are plenty accurate enough and it takes a LONG time to wear out a barrel. I have shot both examples of these (1892 in 32 WCF and 94 in 32 special) from the early 1920 and both were plenty accurate enough.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

winchester1886 wrote:... but from what I have read I would not touch one to many problems with accuracy when the barrel wears a bit. Hope this helps. winchester 1886.
From my observations this applies only to the .32 WS chambered guns which have, IIRC, 1-16 twist but is wildly overstated. I've seen some guns that have had 10,000 plus rounds fired which were just fine so far as accuracy is concerned. The barrels should last 50K rounds plus. Even several owners are unlikely to shoot that much through a single .32 WS.

If you look down the barrel and you can see clean rifling that rifle will be just fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[32 Winchester Special, but from what I have read I would not touch one to many problems with accuracy when the barrel wears a bit.]

Don't believe everything you read. :roll:

sammer
Levergunner

Post by sammer »

Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to get a friend of mine to open his safe back up and look at that rifle again. It was marked 32 W.C.F. and was stamped with what looked like newer style, at least 60's,
font.
Since this has to be a '92 what was the last year they were made? And what would a later manuf. be worth? Used condition, some faded bluing and a few scratches on the stock. Overall, you would want it if you saw it.

Thanks
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

As I recall, Win. 92 rifles were discontinued in 1931 and carbines in 1941 with total production of just over 1 million. If the gun you saw has caliber stampings that look 'newer,' it may have been rebarreled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[It was marked 32 W.C.F. and was stamped with what looked like newer style, at least 60's,font.]
[Since this has to be a '92 what was the last year they were made?]

As Cimarron Red posted, all Model 1892 rifle production had ceased by 1941, with some short run variations and/or other styles much earlier.

Winchester chambered the pistol cartridge .32WCF (aka .32-20) only in the short action Model 92 family, for leverguns, (M53, M65, M92, M1892) - and very much earlier in the Model 1873.

Winchester has chambered the longer, rifle-length cartridge .32 WS (Win Spec) only in the longer action Model 94 based family, (M1894, M94, M55, M64 (D).

So, to answer your OP - No, There were never any Model 94 Winchesters made in .32WCF (Win Center Fire), aka the .32-20.
The only .32 caliber chambering in Winchester 94 rifles (or the 55/64/etc) is the longer .32 Winchester Special.
[ EDIT: and the .32-40 (Thanks Marc :oops: ) ]

Your barrel could be a modern remarked gennie; :roll:
or it could be a modern-marked replacement; :o
or you might be mistaken about the age/style of the markings, and it's totally original/gennie. :P

A start would be to check the entire serial number, on our home page here, to find out when the receiver was made - and go from there with the detective work ILO speculation.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Model 94 was also made in 32-40.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

FWIW - I had a Winchester 94 in Winchester 32 Special back in the 1930s and I suspect it had already put the 50K rounds before I ever acquired ownership of it. I loved it and shot rabbits, prairie dogs, and coyotes with it. Dunno what ever happened to it and it's strange because I still have my .22 single shot I got for my 6th birthday in 1932 as well as the .410 pistol (NFA registered), .410 double barrel shotgun I had then - not to mention the 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield and also e "E Remington & Sons" 45-70 Hepburn half octagonal target rifles plus my grandfather's Damascus twist barrel 12 bore shotgun with external hammers. I was a "registered gun collector" before I was eight because the registration form for the NFA .410 pistol required I list a reason for owning that "weapon".

At any rate, I sure did a lot of cow-poking to keep myself in guns and ammo for them (but I lived so far out in the country, my guns & ammo were my main way to have fun) and, between enlisting for WWII and re-upping for Korean War plus med school in Denver and surgical training at the county hospital for Detroit as well as living over half the globe, I'm just grateful I have retained the guns I have. Things like that get lost in multiple moves - not always entirely by accident either. :roll:

However, that Winchester 94 was very special beyond the designation of the .32 caliber ammo since it was my first center fire rifle and I identified it as my first "man's rifle" (spell - lever rifle) as opposed to my .22 "boy's rifle" - which, of course, I continued to use - as shown in this 1934 pic.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER