Winchester '92 parts interchange?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester '92 parts interchange?

Post by milton »

Are there any parts for the Winchester 92 that will interchange with the Rossi 92,either directly or with some modification?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester '92 parts interchange?

Post by jd45 »

The guy you wanna ask is Steve Young of Stevesgunz.com, AKA Nate "Kiowa" Jones, who is THE MAN when it comes to Rossi's. jd45
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Any parts with threaded holes in them will not interchange as Rossi's are metric. This elimates virtually all of them. I think that most of the rest of the parts would not fit due to metric measurements used for machining. Even the dovetails on the barrels are not a standard 3/8". The wood MIGHT interchange with a lot of work. Steve will know.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you !!!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

milton,

Are you asking about an American-made "Winchester" Winchester, or a Japanese-made "Miroku/ Browning" Winchester?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Sorry I was not clear !!! I am referring to the Miroku/Browning Model 92's and the very latest guns manufactured by Winchester.Thank you for clearing that up !!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sorry I was not clear !!! I am referring to the Miroku/Browning Model 92's and the very latest guns manufactured by Winchester.Thank you for clearing that up !!!
Milton,

The very latest "Winchester" 92s were made for Browning/Winchester by Miroku of Japan. They are similar to the older Miroku made Browning 92s except for the rebounding hammer action and tang safety.

As for what parts might interchange with the Rossis, I don't know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I was comparing ORIGINAL M.92's to the Rossi. But, all overseas manufacture of M. 92 clones will be metric tooling (mm.). The U.S. is out of step with everyone else, or maybe visa-versa. In fact, I don't think ANY offshore weapons are U.S. measurement- .001"/inch or U.S.S. thread size.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I sorta figured the screws would not interchange. But I was just wondering if the Rossi replicas are scaled to size of the older guns.Even if the size measurements were stated in mm or cm's versus inches and fractions of inches ,if the guns were made the same size as the older ones it seems the people who engineered the Rossi's would just have converted to the appropraite measure.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

milton,

Here is my Browning B92 (Miroku, 1981) with a Rossi lever installed:

It was a drop-in replacement, except for the friction stud of the Browning is fatter than the stud hole in the Rossi lever. There is NO friction stud in there now, and I have ZERO problems with it. It works just fine!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you for that post! So then I may assume that parts as the hammer ,trigger even the flat springs may interchange with possibly a little gunsmithing.It would be nice to know for sure!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

milton,

Be careful. The basic dimensions are the same. The details may be different. I took achance with that lever. I feel that I got lucky. :!:

There are differences, among the years & safety/ no safety variations. Then, there is the whole metric situation: common metric is not the same as Japanese Imperial Metric. Metric hardware on a Rossi may not fit metric hardware on a Japanese-made Browning/ Winchester. I tried to find a non-buggered tang screw for my B92, and was astonished to find that noone could help me, even Steve Young, short of getting a new one from the factory. My tang screw has Japanese Imperial threads.

Shawn
ImageImage
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Maybe I don't understand what your trying to do, but why interchange Rossi parts in your Miruku? Parts are still available for your rifle.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva