Airline Approved Gun Cases?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Airline Approved Gun Cases?

Post by TomF »

I will be travelling to Alberta to hunt whitetails. The airline website has a stipulation that the gun case must be lockable. This is a broad statement. I have a metal hardcase that will lock by way of a 3 number, combination lock on either end. It also has 2 closures in the middle. This is a common case as sold by our Texas based sporting goods store, Academy. Will this pass muster with the airlines? I have tried to call but can not get a real person, and at that, would this person be credible? Have any of you traveled with such a case? Is there a better place, besides the airline websites, to look to find the answer?

TomF
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Airline Approved Gun Cases?

Post by Jarhead »

As long as it locks... you're good to go.
Semper Fi
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

When we traveled to Maine last month, it was the first time I flew with a firearm. I was amazed at how indifferent the TSA was with the guncase. They never looked inside the case or checked to see if it was even locked. I was handed a card to sign stating the rifles were unloaded and was told to put it in the case and lock it. That was it. I did put some extra insurance on the case in the form of two of those giant 1/2" wide zip ties around the case. Probably didn't need it though.

So I'd say as long as it is some form of a lock it should be fine.
NRA Life Member
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I think they will want you to not use the combination locks and just use a padlock. I was told if TSA wants in your case they can cut the padlock off, but the combination locks they just tear apart the case. I have always waited by the TSA screening area until my case passes through about 50% of the time I have had to unlock it for them and lock it back up after they are done.

At the end of the flight it seems there have been changes, pre 9-11 My guncase was always held in the airlines customer service room, but post 9-11 it has just came out with the rest of the luggage.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Master makes a pair of little locks with a TSA # so they can use their master keys.

I last traveled with a hard-sided golf bag as a gun case. Packed my clothes and ammo in there too.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

dr walker wrote:I think they will want you to not use the combination locks and just use a padlock. I was told if TSA wants in your case they can cut the padlock off, but the combination locks they just tear apart the case.
True. When buying a firearm case, get the kind with bail-type latches that accept small padlocks, and buy "TSA" padlocks. I'd recommend not using a case with combination locks or built-in key locks.

My cases have double handles and I always put colored zip ties through the metal hinges to which the handles are attached. That wy I know if the case had been opened out of my control, and I immediately open the case and check the contents.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

to emphasize what dr walker said about post-911...

The wife & I traveled from Columbus, OH to Tulsa last summer... taking my CCW along in our suitcase. Arriving in Columbus, on the return trip, the wifey wanted to stop in the little girls room before we picked up our bags. I waited patiently... you know how long some can take. When we arrived at the baggage pick-up, there was an airport employee (not TSA) carting off our suitcase, with my piece in it. Seems they have a rule about "unclaimed baggage". They were confiscating it. I politely stopped the man, and retreived our bag. No problem, but there could have been... if we were only 1-minute later.
I realize You are taking a long-rifle, but the same caution may apply. Hope you have a safe journey.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.