Trim your brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Trim your brass

Post by cjm135 »

I just finished up trimming a batch of 30-30's. I use the Lee Zip trimmer which spins the shell while you use the length gage with the cutter to trim. This works well, but I have seen shells that have a wobble as you spin them. I check to make sure that the shell is positioned properly and that there no debris behind the head. Many will spin true or near true. The ones that really wobble seem to also leave an un-square or uneven cut length of about 0.001" measured with calipers. Has anyone else experience this condition? If so what do you do about it? Pitch them or use them? I would suspect the concentricity to be way out there. I'm thinking that this will position the bullet off center and can produce a real flyer down range. What say you?

They all are saved brass from store bought factory ammo, marked Winchester and only shot once to my knowledge.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Trim your brass

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a lathe owner turn down the CUTTER on my Lee trimmer, so instead of chucking a case in the drill, which always seemed prone to wobbling, and slow to do, I chuck the TRIMMER end, so all I have to do is pick up a case and slip it in the shell holder part, give it a quarter turn, and slip it over the rotating trimmer (which is usually in an old 1/4" drill strapped or even duct-taped to the workbench). Trim, pull it off, quarter turn and dump the case in the 'done' bin, then repeat.

You might try that method and see if it works better; a drill with a 1/2" chuck might be able to grab the CUTTER without turning it down, but I didn't have a drill that big at the time.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Trim your brass

Post by scr83jp »

Here's a site with some really good information on case trimming and inexpensive internal and external sizing lube that doesn't effect powders http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/br ... /index.asp I switched to a L.E Wilson Trimmer over 30 years ago because they are precision instruments. GB Wire-Aide part # 79-006 a quart of wire pulling lubricant costs approx $5.00