How many states still have decent gun laws?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not Calif obviously - but where?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How many states still have decent gun laws?

Post by Mich Hunter »

South Dakota. Can still carry a loaded rifle in the truck and CCW is $10. Good in my book.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

South Carolina.The less laws are the best laws.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

PA and Indiana, excellent gun-friendly regs.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We get by.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I think they're pretty decent here in Missouri. The CCW could be less expensive though. They recently done away with the hassle of getting a permit from the County Sheriff in order to purchase a handgun. The law stated it could take up to 7 days to obtain your permit. I have lived in some counties that the Sheriff Dept would issue next day or two, but the Sheriff where I'm at now is very anti gun and it would always take the full 7 days. He was also against the CCW law.

Missouri has also recently passed a Castle Doctrine law.
NRA Life Member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

More than used to!

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

According to the Brady Bunch the High Honors (lowest on their scale) goes to OK and someone else.

IN isn't too bad except for the "requirement" for a (shall issue) CCW License to "legally" do anything with a handgun off your own property...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT - I just love that graphic!!! :D
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Alabama :D
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

It's not to bad here in Oklahoma.

I just got my cwl about a week ago.

When I first moved here 8 years ago I was denied the purchase of a shotgun at wal mart. I never did find out why. I suppose they might even still deny me today from my experience and what I've heard.

The open carry here is still slightly restrictive.
AQHA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That graphic is not correct though. Arizona has always had the right to carry. Only thing is until 94 it was open carry only. Then they passed the CCW laws. They still have open carry as well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana still prohibits concealed carry on school property though, which I find ridiculous and a needless 'symbolic gesture' to the hoplophobes which only endangers our children.

I'd also like to see a state law facilitating litigation against any business which disarms its employees or customers. Stray bullets everyone fears from CCW holders defending themselves IMHO are not only extremely unlikely, but NOT the businesses fault, so they should be protected from litigation on that front, but SHOULD be put squarely in the crosshairs of litigants who have been disarmed and then suffer harm on their property.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Indiana still prohibits concealed carry on school property though, ...
Except in the parking lot when picking-up/dropping off.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote:That graphic is not correct though. Arizona has always had the right to carry. Only thing is until 94 it was open carry only. Then they passed the CCW laws. They still have open carry as well.

Joe
I think you misunderstood it Joe.

Arizona was not an "Unrestricted State". There was only one State at the time who was "Unrestricted Carry". Right now there are only two.

Also, Arizona it did not have any "issue" laws at all, either "May Issue" or "Shall Issue". While it had "open carry" as a State law, that was not without hassles in some communities. Carrying openly was certainly the basis for troubles in the more urban communities. By the middle 1980's it was certainly discouraged in the large cities. Charges such as "disturbing the peace" etc. were threatened. (It scared the lliberals from back East who brought the money to keep Arizona green.)

The graphic shows the progress from "No Issue" to "Shall Issue" in many states, including Arizona.

What we need now is a wholesale movement towards the "Unrestricted Carry.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Montana is pretty good can carry concealed in a vehicle includes person in city limits, outside vehicle open carry. Outside city limits concealed or open carry have to tell leo if he askes you. No restriction on loaded firearm (any) in vehicle. As a result of this law we have few if any carjackings. Leo's are reasonable towards kids durring hunting season about rifles in vehicles at school never heard about any problems. danny
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Alaska is the best. No need for a concealed carry license here, and firearms are well known and accepted. I went into Wendys this past Saturday with a Win 94 strapped to my back. Nobody batted an eye, let alone called the cops.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Pretty good shape in WV........
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
PawPaw
Levergunner

Post by PawPaw »

Louisiana has great gun laws. It's a very gun-friendly state.
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I have to say that Utah has very decent gun laws. We have open carry here; with or without a CCW, it is legal. Without a CCW it just has to be unloaded. That means that if you don't have a concealed weapons permit, you may open carry a semi-auto with a full clip, as long as there is no round in the chamber. The process for getting a CCW is very easy, and that's why alot of out-of-state people get the permit here because it is accepted in 33 states (includes Utah).
JimT - That graphic is graphic! :lol: :lol:
Winjester
God Bless America!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JimT wrote:What we need now is a wholesale movement towards the "Unrestricted Carry.
Agreed.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Michigan was not terrible. Local county officers were a bit slow on the learning curve after CCW laws passed. In Midland we fired the County Prosecuter and Sherriff... and vote in a couple of guys who "understood" the new law.
Michigans biggest problem is Detroit politics run the whole state when it comes to many issues. It is not strictly against the law to open carry ... but you wont walk a half mile in public before you get detained in any of the urban/suburban counties.

Out in the boonies you may carry without a hassle... all depends on were you are at.

Very pleased with Oklahoma... there is a petition around to loosen the open carry law... we will see how much action that gets
Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Florida, gets an A+++++ in my vote. Even with all the hurricanes, it's still a great place to be.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

For as Liberal as Washington State is, our gun laws are pretty good. Could be better somehow I reckon, but still pretty good considering.

Cosmoline wrote: I went into Wendys this past Saturday with a Win 94 strapped to my back. Nobody batted an eye, let alone called the cops.
I'm curious. Why were you walking into a Wendy's with a '94 strapped on? :D You have my imagination running amuck :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I had biked 15 miles to the range with the Win and two enormous 54 smokepoles plus sundry ammo, roundball, and range stuff in tow on a BOB trailer. I needed an early start to avoid a headwind so I skipped breakfast and was downright starving en route back home. So I sallied forth to a nearby place and set about purchasing some combustibles. It was good, not great. And I had to wait a long time. In hindsight I should have picked up a small all-meat pizza from a local vendor called Champion.

The practice of attaching leverguns to backpack scabbards is well known around here and is pretty useful in bear country. There's a fellow who makes them locally. Here's a setup I had for awhile on my summer cruiser bike

At any rate, I frequently bike down to the range for the exercise and often have a rifle strapped to my back or in the trailer. Never had any trouble for it. I've gone into natural food stores with an M91 Mosin in little more than a torn up gunsock and never got trouble for it. Firearms are a non-issue in Alaska.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

As liberal as the politics are, in the Portland Metro area, Oregon is very pro-firearm.....actually a little better than WA.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Andrew wrote:
JimT wrote:What we need now is a wholesale movement towards the "Unrestricted Carry.
Agreed.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Vermont is the way it should be. The only gun law is don't commit a crime with one, oh, and stay off of federal property.

Cosmoline, Great set up on the bike! I could use one of those scabbards, I have a range within cycling distance and try to do that when I have the time, always like to kill two birds with one stone.

Jim T, Nice graphic!
Molon Labe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm pretty happy here in VA. The only thing I don't like is the one gun a month law (for handguns). I can't keep up with it. :lol: (not that I don't try!)

Actually with the CHP, one can buy more than one handgun a month. Yes I have done that...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Cosmoline wrote:I had biked 15 miles to the range with the Win and two enormous 54 smokepoles plus sundry ammo, roundball, and range stuff in tow on a BOB trailer. I needed an early start to avoid a headwind so I skipped breakfast and was downright starving en route back home. So I sallied forth to a nearby place and set about purchasing some combustibles. It was good, not great. And I had to wait a long time. In hindsight I should have picked up a small all-meat pizza from a local vendor called Champion.

The practice of attaching leverguns to backpack scabbards is well known around here and is pretty useful in bear country.
Cool! And a nice set up. Thanks for the explanation!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote:I'm pretty happy here in VA. The only thing I don't like is the one gun a month law (for handguns). I can't keep up with it. :lol: (not that I don't try!)

Actually with the CHP, one can buy more than one handgun a month. Yes I have done that...
+1 for Virginia. It's also on the forefront of open carry, with a very active group making OC visible even in NoVA. Only restrictions, essentially, are for concealed carry in places that serve alcohol (though open carry is allowed), El-Hi school grounds, court houses and Federal properties. Personal property (like some restaurants and movie theaters) owners can post "not allowed" signs, but it's only a trespass offense if approached. I suspect some of the western states are better, but probably not by much. Of course the permit is a CHP, not a CCW, so it could be better.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am wondering about Idaho, I suspect they are good there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Arkansas is not bad but needs improvement. On a related note we have no Castle Doctrine or Open Carry Law. The Castle Doctrine, labeled Stand Your Ground here in Arkansas by Mike Burris, comes back to the floor in January 09.

I'm for the Unrestricted Carry as well. But my senator is not so he has to go.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Cosmoline, Can you tell me anything about the scabbard with the straps for carrying on your back? Brand? cost or where it might be purchased? I've been looking for something like that (preferably in leather but would consider anything). Thanks
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

klhill wrote:Cosmoline, Can you tell me anything about the scabbard with the straps for carrying on your back? Brand? cost or where it might be purchased? I've been looking for something like that (preferably in leather but would consider anything). Thanks
Sportsman Guide has one in leather for $45

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282557

Going to get one myself. It has both saddle straps and a shoulder strap.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Maine isn't too bad - yet.

But ALL CCW permits, methinks, are unconstitutional.
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Old Savage, Idaho is good. Boise and one other city require a carry permit, in the the rest of the state its just assumed you have a gun and buisness as usual.
When I escaped the PRC (Cathedral City) and came here I found a Deputy Sheriff and asked him about the laws. He just laughed (he escaped from one of the coast cities) and told me the important laws, don't shoot across a road or a navagable [sp?] river or stream.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Alnitak,,,,,, thanks, that's what I was looking for and a pretty good price too.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

klhill wrote:Cosmoline, Can you tell me anything about the scabbard with the straps for carrying on your back? Brand? cost or where it might be purchased? I've been looking for something like that (preferably in leather but would consider anything). Thanks
Dan, the fellow who came up with the scabbards and the chest holster for big magnums runs this outfit:

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I've only seen his stuff in local shops, but I believe you can get it by mail order. It is very, very well made and I have not yet managed to destroy either the scabbards or the chest holsters I've bought from him. I noticed a nationwide company had introduced some cheaper knockoffs, but they're not made from the same thickness of material or quality.

These are not leather saddle scabbards, but I've seen some of those around as well. The drawback of leather is of course the additional weight which can be a pain for backpacking. My back country rig is a beat up old Puma .44 with a half magazine. It and the scabbard weigh me down less than a handgun.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I think it would be easier to post the states with lousy gun rights than the best. Many states have reformed their laws in favor of more personal freedom, especially regarding concealed carry.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

NC is pretty restrictive.

NO:
Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. This also applies to all property 
owned by any school.§14­269.2
Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged.§14­269.3
Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14­269.3
State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on 
the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court 
of Justice. §14­269.4
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14­415.11(c)
Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14­415.11(c)
Financial Institutions. §14­415.11(c)
Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, 
or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon 
any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any 
of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.§14­ 
Areas of emergencies or riots.§14­288.7
Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement. 
§14­415.11(c) 

NO Wildlife areas, state parks or state forests.

If you are evacuated from your home, you may NOT have a weapon of any kind.

Castle doctrine has been voted NO several years running. You MUST FLEE any bad guy, even in your own home.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

Tycer wrote:NC is pretty restrictive.

NO:
Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. This also applies to all property 
owned by any school.§14­269.2
Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged.§14­269.3
Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14­269.3
State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on 
the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court 
of Justice. §14­269.4
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14­415.11(c)
Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14­415.11(c)
Financial Institutions. §14­415.11(c)
Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, 
or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon 
any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any 
of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.§14­ 
Areas of emergencies or riots.§14­288.7
Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement. 
§14­415.11(c) 

NO Wildlife areas, state parks or state forests.

If you are evacuated from your home, you may NOT have a weapon of any kind.

Castle doctrine has been voted NO several years running. You MUST FLEE any bad guy, even in your own home.
And North Carolina is now officially on the list of states I won't move to.

How do legislators sleep at night.............Because these laws don't apply to them.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

New Mexico is pretty fair and idaho where I maybe moving to seems to be ok
I know NY is only one step behind California and that is one reason I don't live there anymore. They were in the process of making the winchester model 94 and assault weapon. Don't if they ever did but their ccw laws are real goofy
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wyoming has decent gun laws (hardly have any at all). BUT, you dont want to move here. At all costs, avoid moving here!! :wink:
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Like someone already said, WV is pretty good. A CCW is easy to obtain at about 100 bucks. Open carry is legal. We are adding more states to our CCW base. We have an up and coming group looking out for our gun rights. (WVCDL). The Legislature passed a castle doctrine law, we no longer have to retreat in our own home. The state has a gun preemption law with I think 2 cities G'fathered in. 2 more at least are or have tried pulling fast ones on that though. Both of them near me.

The bad, very restrictive on any school property. Don't even have them in the trunk.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

At all costs, avoid moving here!!

Yup gettin too crowded, don't move here :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For all the Liberals along the I-5, WA is not too bad. Open carry is legal, Shall issue for about 35 bucks.........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Cosmoline wrote:Alaska is the best. No need for a concealed carry license here, and firearms are well known and accepted. I went into Wendys this past Saturday with a Win 94 strapped to my back. Nobody batted an eye, let alone called the cops.
Very cool.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
GSRASHER
Levergunner

Post by GSRASHER »

I guess I'd better put in a good word for New Mexico. It's always been an 'open carry' state, and for the last few years we've also been a shall issue concealed carry state. Interestingly, anybody can have a weapon concealed in their car/truck/motorcycle because it's considered an extension of your home.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Paco's graphic was great. One question. Where is that Obama fella from? Hmmm!

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin