OT-XS Ruger M77 aperture sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

OT-XS Ruger M77 aperture sight

Post by The Lewis »

Anyone have a picture of one? Curious how it is mounted and can't find any info on their site.
Molon Labe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-XS Ruger M77 aperture sight

Post by 1886 »

I can not offer much about that sight but you may want to check out the Ruger 77 sight offered by New England Custom Guns http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com Highlight the peep sights link. Regards, 1886
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

NECG has pics on their website.

The sight clamps onto the rear receiver scope male dovetail, and is adjustable for both W/E, with the aperture doubling as the elevation locking screw when it's tightened.
It is a QD sight, that returns to zero if removed for scope use.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/cgi- ... y_Code=RCS
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Thanks for the tip, I have seen that sight, even shot with one, it is a fine peep sight. I am after a ghost ring sight and the NECG sight is a bit of a block and doesn't offer the thin rim of a ghost ring. I guess I should have said ghost ring in the title, the XS is supposed to be one and may need to have a hole put in the gun which I don't mind just want to see one first without having to buy it sight unseen. Williams makes one but again can't find a pic of one installed.
Molon Labe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I may be mistaken but I think the NECG model offers interchangeable disks. 1886.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one on a 77/22 and really like it; had to do some filing to get it low enough for the stock front sight on that particular gun. Can't remember if it came with alternate apertures or not. Facilitates feral cat hits out to 100 yards though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Remember, any small hole can be drilled out to a larger size. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DO NOT DRILL OUT AN NECG APERTURE TO MAKE A GHOST RING ! - Although that works fine on other peeps, it will do you no good on that particular sight, due to it's block design.

When an NECG apertue is drilled out, the vertical INSIDE edges of the sight body limit the field of view.

Do you really need to ask me how I know this to be true ? ;)

The XS Ruger Back-up Ghost Ring sight is $65, and just sits atop the rear dovetail almost exactly like it sits atop the Marlin pictured on the XS website:

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

FYI, It is sight # *1*5-22-2109A-000-8-

praharin
Levergunner

Post by praharin »

Pete44ru wrote:DO NOT DRILL OUT AN NECG APERTURE TO MAKE A GHOST RING ! - Although that works fine on other peeps, it will do you no good on that particular sight, due to it's block design.

When an NECG apertue is drilled out, the vertical INSIDE edges of the sight body limit the field of view.

Do you really need to ask me how I know this to be true ? ;)

The XS Ruger Back-up Ghost Ring sight is $65, and just sits atop the rear dovetail almost exactly like it sits atop the Marlin pictured on the XS website:

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

FYI, It is sight # *1*5-22-2109A-000-8-

it sounds like you own one. do you think the drill/tap could be done with a normal drill press? presuming one could make it level that is
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The sight BASE has a sort of open-ended "trough" that has sidewalls which limit the view enough that the aperture if removed would NOT do well as a ghost ring - it would be more of a 'ghost vase' - too wide an aperture would have the same effect.

Maybe with careful milling you could re-mill that area, but my tool for the job would be an old dremel tool, and I'd not be inclined to try it myself. It would need blackened or blued afterwards, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[do you think the drill/tap could be done with a normal drill press? presuming one could make it level that is]

That's how I did the top of my Ruger 77, so it would take a modified, one-piece, long Weaver base to mount a first model Aimpoint red dot - a looong time ago.

I only had to D/T one hole in each dovetail flat.

The XS will require TWO holes in the same flat, only one of which needs to be tapped, since it's used only as a locator hole - At least that's the way the Marlin XS was, that I mounted atop the bolt of my .405 Winchester M1895 Miroku.

The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Expensive lesson to drill out a NECG sight! Ain't going to work as a ghost ring due to the HUGE block of a body that gets in the way. The candidates are the XS and the Williams FP, but apparently, no pictures exist of these elusive sights perched on a Ruger. Pete44ru, I can visualize the XS if it looks like the one for the Marlin, thanks for the description.
Molon Labe