Levergun preference clarification request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Levergun preference clarification request

Post by J Miller »

In Mich Hunters thread about the button mag Uberti 1876 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9041 the pic shows a really nice rifle.

Unfortunately I think it's ugly beyond belief. I've always felt this way about half and button magazine tube fed lever guns. Doesn't matter what brand or model, I just can't stand their looks. They are missing the magazine that completes the picture. Without the magazine they look incomplete. I don't like the way the feel in the hand either, I much prefer the feel of the full length magazine.

Anyway, now you know how I feel, and why.

What I would like is for those of you who like this style to tell me why you like it.

Thanks,

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Levergun preference clarification request

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU WILL GET NO ARGUMENT FROM ME, JOE. SUCH " BUTTON MAGAZINE " RIFLES OR CARBINES DO HAVE A HALF VAST LOOK ABOUT 'EM.
THE ONLY ONE I OWN CURRENTLY IS A BROWNING 53 IN 32-20 WITH THAT SILLY LOOKING SHORT MAGAZINE IN THE FOREARM. I WOULD HAVE HAD IT CHANGED TO A FULL LENGTH TOO BUT FOR THE FACT I WAS SCARED TO MESS WITH A LEVERGUN THAT SHOOTS AS WELL AS THE M53. IT IS A LASERBEAM OUT TO 100 YARDS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Each to his own I guess but I am one who favors the short magazine rifles. No particular reason but it may be because my dad gave me a Marlin 336A when I was a kid. I have owned almost every configuration of levergun since but they all get measured against that first oh so great rifle in my life. I guess thats why the marlins have always been my favorite. especially the 336A and the 336SC its short brother. :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I'm the same Joe...need the full length tube to complete the picture, and feel like something has been left off the half and button mags.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I prefer a button mag levergun, myself -but then I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer !

I've even altered a perfectly new .375 BB94 carbine into a button-mag, pistol-gripped, crescent-butted delight - reminicent of the old M1894 Deluxe's.

My sig line says it all, but YMMV, of course - That's why some folks like pistachio ice crean, and others like plain vanilla.

I like the buttons nuch better than the plain-vanilla, full-length magazine carbine pattern, also prefering the slightly lighter weight, slenderness, and different balance - that makes for some very fast snap-shooting, when I'm hunting the thickets & bedding areas.

(Pass the popcorn, please ;) )

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well you might note that all my lever guns have the full magazine but... I much prefer the button mag to the 3/4 mag, now that 3/4 mag looks like something bad has happened! Still, the button mag is neat especially/only with shorter barrels. That particular gun, rechambered, with different barrel contour and buttstock would be rather neat.

As to the 1876, it is such a long action that it doesn't thrill everyone. I'm sure the Brits who used the pattern described did so for lack of anything better at that time. Then again, I'm a contrarian antiquarian. :wink:

PS. Asking me why I like a certain format of rifle is like me asking you why you like cats. Neither of us will really ever be able to understand the other's reasoning! :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I like the looks of the 3/4 magazine or a full magazine, don't care for the button mag myself.
Like Chuck 100 yd, my dad also gave me his 1949 336A as a youngster and my first real rifle.
I am attracted to the Winchester model 64 and model 71 too, I guess that is why, thanks for clearing that up, Chuck 100 yd :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Like Terry & C Cash, I agree with you Joe about button & half mags on leverguns. It's a personal preference of mine as well, they just look incomplete. I do have a "parts gun" 1893 in 30-30 that's a 3/4 mag but it shoots so well I just won't change it to a full mag and risk bad mojo.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Everyone to their own taste, said the milkmaid as she kissed the cow's butt. :D

Why: better balance, lighter weight, quicker motion and Crazy Horse is dead and I don't need 12 rounds "up the tube" to make it even more imbalanced and heavier.

In a recent GOTOW some numbsku... sorry, uninformed person stuck a full tube on a M71. Ugliest dang thing I ever saw.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GOTOW = ..........................

I don't recognise this, please elaborate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:GOTOW = ..........................

I don't recognise this, please elaborate.

Joe
Guns of the Old West magazine I suspect...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

This is a broad, sweeping, generalization, so those of you with full-length magazine tubes who have half-moa rifles, please don't take it personally. In my experience, half-tubed guns are more accurate. One less contact point, less affect on barrel harmonics. Also, on heavy-hitting .45-70 guns, less weight in the short tubes for recoil to affect.

And on guns with rifle length barrels, I think they look better. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jive.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Now, Joe, you know no matter what's said it won't change your mind. :lol:

I can take any style mag or leave it; prefer the full length, but not for looks. I just like all them rounds available.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like the full length mags too. They look good, they hold more, and they look good. Oh wait, I said that already. Dad's '94 is a 3/4 but it still looks pretty good. I don't care much at all for the button mag.

I actually like the long action on the '76 as well.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not trying to change anybodies mind, or start an argument. I just wanted to hear why others liked those styles.

Lots of reasons, but mostly just personal preference.

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

TERRY - WHAT WOULD BE ON YOUR WISH LIST TO TRADE FOR THAT MODEL 53 ?????????? :?:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I prefer the full length magazine, mostly because it just looks right to me. The 3/4 looks OK, but I really don't like a button magazine, it just looks wrong to me. All just personal preference, though, they're all good! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

It appears that those before us thought the same way about button magazines. These things generally seek their place and survive or disappear. Seems the button mag was not the best fit for the levergun according to levergun buyers.

TomF
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like em all!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Old Savage wrote:TERRY - WHAT WOULD BE ON YOUR WISH LIST TO TRADE FOR THAT MODEL 53 ?????????? :?:
HOW OLD AND WHAT KIND OF PICKUP ARE YOU DRIVING ??
DO YOU HAVE A COLT NEW FRONTIER 38SPL TO TRADE ??
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The function of the full length mags matters not to me. I don't need that many rounds. I like the look of half and 3/4 mags. Full length mags are okay, as are button mags, but if I could pick my favorite it would be 1/2 mags.
NRA Life Member
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

To tell the truth, every time someone here posts a picture of a levergun with a short magazine and call it beautiful I have to stop an ponder because I see only half a gun. I guess its like when women hold onto an ugly baby and say "oh how cute!" and all i see is a scrunched up face. I just cant see the same beauty. I love full length mags because they look Manly? I think the half mag is for women or rich men who have no intention of using the wepon in a hunting or rurvival situation. Now this is no slight on anyone here at all. But that is truly what I have always felt in my heart. Maybe because all the old westerns used full legnth mags except when the rich hunter was on the seen.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

It depends on the make and model, but carbines and trappers look better with full magazines to me. Then again, a pistol gripped Legacy with a 24" barrel looks and feels better with a 3/4 mag. A M71 would look hiedious with a full mag, yet an '86 would look terrible without one. Go figure.
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

"Manly? I think the half mag is for women or rich men who have no intention of using the wepon in a hunting or rurvival situation. Now this is no slight on anyone here at all ( :roll: ). But that is truly what I have always felt in my heart. Maybe because all the old westerns used full legnth mags except when the rich hunter was on the seen."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gol' durn rich men with their spellin' and half-mags :D

I guess that's the views you acquire when your experience and knowledge of history comes from TV & movies.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like both full-length & half-magazine types; long barrel or short:

And one of my projects:

All good! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Bullet Bob wrote:"Manly? I think the half mag is for women or rich men who have no intention of using the wepon in a hunting or rurvival situation. Now this is no slight on anyone here at all ( :roll: ). But that is truly what I have always felt in my heart. Maybe because all the old westerns used full legnth mags except when the rich hunter was on the seen."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gol' durn rich men with their spellin' and half-mags :D

I guess that's the views you acquire when your experience and knowledge of history comes from TV & movies.
Sure, just MHO :)
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I was on another forum some weeks ago, linked through here I think, and the poster had a little carved bear that looked just like yours except it was standing on a stump. That poster also used the bears arms to display his lever guns for photos.
That's two of them little rifle bears, I want one.

Is that a Mdl 64A in your 5th pic? I have to admit that it is one of the few half magazine rifles I don't dislike.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
I was on another forum some weeks ago, linked through here I think, and the poster had a little carved bear that looked just like yours except it was standing on a stump. That poster also used the bears arms to display his lever guns for photos.
That's two of them little rifle bears, I want one.
Is that a Mdl 64A in your 5th pic? I have to admit that it is one of the few half magazine rifles I don't dislike.
Joe
Yep, a Mdl 64A. Bought it NIB from a fellow forum member 2 years ago come Oct., went out and got a couple of deer with it that same year. The 64 or 64A is the genesis for the 94 "Centennial" model pictured above it. My son's B-Day rifle project will be similar, although he has requested a full magazine. The carbine in the bottom pic will have a button mag, hopefully it'll hold four rounds. Still trying to decide if I'll leave the barrel @ 20" or shorten it to 16".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Never liked 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 magtubes, always liked the full ones.

With a 24" barrel, there's just something about having the ability to load up 13 rds of full house 44mag/45colt ammo; or even 9 rds of 45-70.

Heck even with the 20" 30-30, to me anyway, 7rds will always trump 3 or 4.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like most leverguns and enjoy the variety. If pressed to name what I consider to be the best looking, I would pick a Winchester 1873 with a full length magazine, round barrel, straight stock, and crescent butt. To me, that is just perfection in the looks department.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Arguing about taste makes no sense. Who cares what you like - it is what I like that is important. :P

I like some models of all the types.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Old Savage wrote:Arguing about taste makes no sense. Who cares what you like - it is what I like that is important. :P

I like some models of all the types.
No argument, just a conversation about who likes what. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Griff,

Nice wood on those rifles!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

+1 for "It depends on make and model."

In general, to my thinking and tastes the full-length mag tube looks more balanced or just plain "right" on a lever.

I wish my Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 had a full mag. I may still have Bill Gostomski of Mt Savage, MD do that work.

That said, the half mag on a 22" Marlin 1895 doesn't bother me, nor does the short mag in a Browning 86 EL.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I agree - to each his own. I like full mags the best, but if I had a chance to purchase a good 1892 or 1873 with a short or button tube - I would in a heart beat. I do not think 92 sized actions look all that bad with a button mag.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I like the way a full tube looks.........but for the prices those button jobs bring there must be something to them :D

I try to be "diverse" for the sake of "collectability"

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I have owned at one time or the other the various types. I like full mags as well as the "partial" mags. The Browning 53, Winchester 71, Marlin 1895 and Marlin 336A all look and handle well for me, that is why I like them. I as well like full mag Winchester 1892's and 1894's. My Marlin 1894C and Browning 92 in .357 are a pleasure to carry.
I think it comes down to what you like and what works for you in the field.

Glad we dont all like the same thing or I might not have been able to find some of the rifles I treasure.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Terry,

No actually it is this one. And as of the 25th, it is PAID FOR

Ah, you mean one of the 39 made - all 5 1/2"

Sorry on that - not here.

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP, THAT IS IT. ACTUALLY I DID NOT KNOW ALL 39 OF THE COLT NF 38SPL's WERE 5 1/2" SIXGUNS. THAT IS VERY INTERESTING INFORMATION. THE 38SPL NF IS MY HOLY GRAIL. IT IS WHAT KEEPS ME GOING TO GUN SHOWS
DO KEEP IN MIND THOUGH THAT I LOOKED FOR AN ORIGINAL S&W K32 FOR 35 YEARS. MISSED SEVERAL BY MINUTES IN CLUDING THE ONLY SINGLE ACTION ONE THEY EVER MADE, BY TEN MINUTES. FINALLY I HAD HAMILTON BOWEN BUILD ME ONE WITH A M19 FRAME, A NEW IN-THE-WHITE K32 BARREL, AND A NEW K22 CYLINDER TO RECHAMBER TO 32S&W LONG. IT TURNED OUT WONDERFULLY WELL AND SHOOTS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS WITH VERY HIGH VELOCITIES. " THE LAST 32 " IS A WONDERFUL SIXGUN BUT THE FACT THE 35 YEAR OLD QUEST WAS OVER ALL BUT RUINED ME FROM GUN SHOWS FOR A HELL OF A SPELL AFTERWARDS. THE QUEST HAD BECOME MORE IMPORTENT AND BIGGER THAT THAT WHICH I WAS SEEKING. THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE LEARNED HERE BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Took 15 years for this 250 made in 54' to find me