Do these velocities seem unrealistic?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Do these velocities seem unrealistic?

Post by Jason_W »

I tried out my Chronograph for the first time today, but I'm not sure I'm getting accurate results.

For instance: .30-30 federal 150 gn factory rounds: Avg. velocity= 2460 Extreme high=2470 Extreme Low=2451

357 mag 158 gn Hornady XTP 17.0 gn lil'gun Avg.=1864 Low=1838 High=1881

.357 mag 180 gn Rem SJHP 15.0 lil'gun Avg.=1699 Low=1678 High=1716

The .357 was a marlin carbine and distance from the muzzle to the chrony was 12 feet (the maximum the cable to the monitor would allow)

The lighting conditions were variable today with the clouds periodically blocking the sun. Without the screens, things seemed way all over the place, so I put them on, which seemed to tighten the numbers up a bit. Still, there is about a 50 fps difference between some of the high and low figures. Keep in mind that when I handload, I weigh each individual charge.

Thoughts?
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Do these velocities seem unrealistic?

Post by Terry Murbach »

LOOKS FINE TO ME. WHAT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND YET IS YOUR CHRONOGRAPH WILL ASK YOU MORE QUESTIONS THAT IT WILL ANSWER. THIS WAS YOUR FIRST ONE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:LOOKS FINE TO ME. WHAT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND YET IS YOUR CHRONOGRAPH WILL ASK YOU MORE QUESTIONS THAT IT WILL ANSWER. THIS WAS YOUR FIRST ONE.
There is the answer! :lol:

I don't know the barrel length on that .30-30 but everything is within reason (as Terry noted). I know that when I got first got my first chronograph I was amazed by the velocities of some loads and disappointed in the velocities of some other loads. I was also astounded by the consistency of some rather hastily assembled loads and the lack of same by some carefully crafted cartridges. You should have a lot of real fun now. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Remington factory 125 grain soft points were breaking 2100 fps :o
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

No
velocities seem fine.

The 50 fps variation is well within that expected for this type of bulky powder and case design. It can be easily explained away by a small variation in internal case capacity of neck tension and is statisticaly insignificant.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I recently used my chronograph for the first time as well. Velocities were posted here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8792
The 30-30 seems a little high but within normal ranges.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Bramble wrote:No
velocities seem fine.

The 50 fps variation is well within that expected for this type of bulky powder and case design. It can be easily explained away by a small variation in internal case capacity of neck tension and is statisticaly insignificant.
That's good to know.

I was just a little surprised.

I was expecting around 1500 fps for the 180 grain loads and maybe 1700 for the 158s.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have recently chronographed Federal 150s in three Winchester 30-30s:

2350 fps in the 20" barrel
2407 fps in the 24" barrel
2467 fps in the 26" barrel

Those are averages.

No frame of reference in the other loads
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would expect 18 gr. L'ilGun with the 158 gr. bullets in the .357 Mag to give you 2000 fps give or take a mite...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Hobie wrote:I would expect 18 gr. L'ilGun with the 158 gr. bullets in the .357 Mag to give you 2000 fps give or take a mite...

Knowing that, why did I buy a .35 remington :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was going to post this as a PM but it just needs to be said out loud.

Praise the Lord for Terry. I really find it pleasant today to finally find someone I can count on to always put things in the proper perspective.

Good on the learning curve there Jason. I think if you care to look at some of Paco's data for the .35 Remington, you'll find that it can be handloaded to much better than factory velocities.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My chronograph experience was similar.

There are lots of variables. I shot standing off hand. I'm sure I introduced lots of variables of bullet location going over the sensors.

I bet you should use a bench rest setup and a vice if possible to keep the bullets traveling as close to the same line as physically possible. Otherwise the relocation of the bullets shot to shot have the potential to change the perceptions by the chrono...

Grizz