more range time - 39TDS and 4 pistols

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

more range time - 39TDS and 4 pistols

Post by rjohns94 »

Another day at the range today. It is really amazing just how much fun putting several hundred rounds of .22 down range can be. I took a few guns to the range today. Four pistols, one rifle. Here are the firearms I took:

the Pistols were, in order of shooting, 1rst Generation Colt SAA in .38 cal, Smith and Wesson Model 60 3" pro, Colt Frontier in .22, and Freedom Arms Premier in .22. The Colts have 5 1/2" barrels, the FA has 4 1/4" barrel.

I started with the Marlin at 25 yards, using CCI mini mags and shifted to blazer bulk lead solids. Shooting the Marlin really convinces me that these half century old eyes are at the point where I need help for shooting. With my reading glasses on, the front sight is clear but the target is so blurry, that I can't maintain a repeatable hold. As a result, the groups were about 2-3 inches at 25 yards. I felt I let the rifle down because clearly it was more capable than this. I tried a few tubes of ammo with my glasses off and I could see the target normally, but the blurr of the front sight was difficult to center. Same results, about 2-3 inches at 25 yards. I just may have to consider going to a scope on this rifle before I get to small game season.

I shot the Colt in .38 next. Most of the shots went into about 4 inches but were low and left. Since this pistol is being sold, I didn't try to modify the front sight and didn't try different loads in it. It was nice to shoot a 125 year old pistol and it handled very well.

Shifted to the Model 60 3-Pro. This pistol shot very well. At 15 yards, 2 inch groups, 5 shots each, in all five target spots. The front sights were very visible and the pistol handled very well. I would highly recommend this Pistol. There is a review of this pistol at gunblast: http://www.gunblast.com/SW-60Pro.htm. I think it and this pistol are right on for the niche it fills.

then on to the Colt frontier. I really didn't want to like this pistol. I bought it here and because I have the Feedom Arms, I didn't want to keep this pistol. WELL, too bad Mike because this pistol Rocks. I shot at 15 yards with this pistol and the first shots were dead on in elevation, and a bit left. I adjusted the sights and then spent the next 45 mins shooting this pistol in and just drilling the target spots. On my targets, there are four outer 2inch diamonds. By the time I was done shooting this pistol, I had basically shot out those spots. A great little pistol.

Last Pistol I shot was the Freedom Arms. Wow, I was really surprised with this pistol. The Colt shot rings around the FA with the two brands of ammo I had with me. I shot around a bit with this pistol, sights needed to be moved several times. Eventually it got sighted in but the groups were in the 3 inch range at 15 yards The sights were very visible and the largest most visible of any of the firearms of the day but this pistol is certainly the most expensive of the firearms I had there today and was the most disappointing. I need to get a bunch of different ammo and find out what it is that makes this one tick.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: more range time - 39TDS and 4 pistols

Post by Andrew »

I think you may want to get that thing looked at. I'm no expert, but like you said, the most expensive one did the poorest. Maybe a call to Wyoming is in order?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

quote: "I need to get a bunch of different ammo and find out what it is that makes this one tick."

You are exactly right! My experience with .22LR caliber arms is that each one seems to prefer a specific brand or type of ammo. Some do best with faster loads, some prefer standard velocity. There are lots of different kinds of .22 ammo. It's a great excuse to get out there and shoot!

On the other hand, if you don't have the time or inclination to do all that much testing, perhaps you could call Freedom Arms and ask if they have a suggested best brand to try.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice looking bunch of guns you got there.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I agree with Shasta. Think about how much more shooting time you'll need to find the perfect fodder for that one. As long as you don't get worked up in between by the ammo that it doesn't chew well, it should be a lot of fun! :D
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

nice guns you got there
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Nice guns and thanks for all the range reports of late! Now, tell me more about that little knife. I need something like that, where'd you find that?
Molon Labe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I purchased the knife on gunbrokers from a maker in Tenn, Cherokee Knife works. I liked it so much that I had a larger one made to carry on my pistol belt. The blade is damscus and the scales are stabilized maple. Both knives came off the same blanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Rjohns, Do you know who the individual knife maker was? That looks like a Wayne Clay sheath. I have one of his custom knives. It is a work of art.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

John Pauza was the makers name. I love his work.
Mike Johnson,

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Shasta wrote:quote: "I need to get a bunch of different ammo and find out what it is that makes this one tick."

You are exactly right! My experience with .22LR caliber arms is that each one seems to prefer a specific brand or type of ammo. Some do best with faster loads, some prefer standard velocity.
Could not agree more. No two .22s are created equal, it seems. I have a Ruger 10/22 that's almost a match gun with the cheap Federal stuff, but feed it Remington High Velociy and it starts to pattern.

Mike, that's only the third 39TDS that I've ever seen, and the other two are in my safe, one unfired in the box. Great little carbine!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Noah,

I was not aware that they are as rare as they seem to be. I jumped on this one when it became available and I simply LOVE that gun.
Mike Johnson,

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

rjohns94 wrote:Noah,

I was not aware that they are as rare as they seem to be . . .

I bought my first one about 21 yrs ago followed by the second one in 1990. I've not seen ANY for sale in shops or shows since. I will admit that I never watched GB, GA, or AA for them, though.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Rjohns, Do you have any contact info for John Pauza?
Molon Labe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

john pauza
E-mail Address(es):
pauzajohn@yahoo.com
Mike Johnson,

The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Thanks!
Molon Labe