A couple questions on Paco's ACU'RZR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

A couple questions on Paco's ACU'RZR

Post by alnitak »

A couple questions for Paco, Jeff & Hobie on the ACU'RZR -- Does it only work on lead, round-nose bullets? Can I use it on the bulk Federals from Walmart, or other HPs? I've read elsewhere about the dangers when carrying +1 of using the same round at the top of the magazine (when unloading, reloading) as the bullet can seat down further when continually stripped from the magazine, causing greater pressures. Wouldn't the same thing happen with the Acurizer as you tap on the point of the bullet with enough force to reform the lead? Also, do you put the cartridge base into a shell holder to avoid the risk of the primer going off when you pound on the nose (even if it's against a flat surface)? How do you ensure consistent reforming of the nose? Just by trying to be consistent with your strike? Do I really need all four sizes if I'm not shooting anything exotic (just my Mark III and a yet to be bought 10/22)?

Thanks.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Harry O
Levergunner

Re: A couple questions on Paco's ACU'RZR

Post by Harry O »

I have one. I have never tried it on hollow-points, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I used it on round-nose only.

I tested several different attempts. It increased the accuracy of white-box Winchester bulk ammo. It did not increase the accuracy of Remington subsonic target ammo. It did not decrease it either. Make sure you try the different sizes (there were only two on mine) to see which one is better.

It should not raise pressures even though the length is shorter because the base of the bullet is not moving backward into the powder. It is the front of the bullet that is being swaged outward to better fill the chamber.

I was kind of bothered about pounding on the front of a rimfire myself, but I followed the instructions (place the bottom of the rimfire on a soft pine board) and did not have any problems. I still do keep it pointed in a away from my head. I have been thinking of rigging up a jig to use my reloading press so that impact could not set it off, but have not tried that yet.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Harry O wrote:It should not raise pressures even though the length is shorter because the base of the bullet is not moving backward into the powder. It is the front of the bullet that is being swaged outward to better fill the chamber.
Thanks for your reply. I understand that the bullet nose is shortened, but if the force of a slide stripping a round can seat it deeper in the case, wouldn't pounding on the nose of a bullet also seat it deeper in the case?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Can I use it on the bulk Federals from Walmart, or other HPs?

I have used mine plenty on Federals and other hollowpoints with improved results:)

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Good pics steveb, thanks.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't see any of the concerns you mention being valid.

The .22 LR has a heel type bullet. How do you jam the bullets of your ammo down in the case simply feeding it through your firearms. I've not experienced that with semi-auto guns (and certainly not with levers, pumps, or revolvers).

If your chamber on the new tool is for LR (and you can have a Short chamber as one or more of the choices, there are FOUR chambers in the new tool so several combinations of finished bullet diameter and case length are possible) and you are using LR ammo then it can be run through the Acu'rzr. Whether or not it actually improves accuracy in YOUR gun cannot be known until you try it. Reforming the bullet nose, when properly done, will indeed improve terminal ballistics.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Andrew wrote:Good pics steveb, thanks.

:)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Makes me even gladder I just sent a check for mine ...
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote: How do you jam the bullets of your ammo down in the case simply feeding it through your firearms. I've not experienced that with semi-auto guns (and certainly not with levers, pumps, or revolvers).
Hobie, I will certainly defer to your experience, but I have read this warning any number of times. Here's one example from Pistolsmith.com:

"One thing to watch out for: When the round hits the feed ramp, it pushes the bullet back in the case slightly.
Over a varying amount of times, the round will either cause "second round" jams, OR raise chamber pressure sky high from the bullet being so far into the case.

In the early days of the police change-over to the auto they had a large number of "second round stoppages". The gun would fire the first round, and the gun would fail to feed the second.

They figured out that the police would inspect their autos by removing the magazine, clearing the chamber, and inspecting the gun. They would then reload by inserting the magazine, chambering the round, removing the magazine, and inserting the round that HAD been in the chamber.

What was happening was, the SAME TWO rounds were constantly being chambered every day, and the bullets were being pushed back into the case by the constant impact on the feed ramp.

Short rounds cause failures to feed, and the compressed load raises pressures WAY high.

Bottom line: Rotate the ammo so the same rounds aren't chambered more than a few times, and shoot the older ammo up."

Here's another thread on it: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... ?p=2720214

And then I see quotes like this, "Depends on the tightness of the crimp. I've found Winchester White Box to set back noticeably after 3-4 chamberings; Remington/UMC did not."

This issue was mentioned a lot of times on the boards I researched before I bought my PM9, and I've heard it before over the years. I can't attest to its veracity, however. But it does make me ask, "If it can happen from the force of the bullet hitting the feed ramp, why not from pounding down on the bullet with a mallet?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Alnitak,
I just don't see it as an issue. I have not experienced this in my limited experience. Get the Acu'rzr and enjoy the shooting. AND, isn't it about time you post some pics of your new pistol?

m
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:AND, isn't it about time you post some pics of your new pistol?
LOL...but it doesn't have a lever!

I don't have pics, but here's a link to the Gunblast review. Mine looks just like that.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LipseysMKIII.htm
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

alnitak wrote:
Hobie wrote: How do you jam the bullets of your ammo down in the case simply feeding it through your firearms. I've not experienced that with semi-auto guns (and certainly not with levers, pumps, or revolvers).
Hobie, I will certainly defer to your experience, but I have read this warning any number of times. Here's one example from Pistolsmith.com:

"One thing to watch out for: When the round hits the feed ramp, it pushes the bullet back in the case slightly.
Over a varying amount of times, the round will either cause "second round" jams, OR raise chamber pressure sky high from the bullet being so far into the case.

In the early days of the police change-over to the auto they had a large number of "second round stoppages".
The gun would fire the first round, and the gun would fail to feed the second.

They figured out that the police would inspect their autos by removing the magazine, clearing the chamber, and inspecting the gun. They would then reload by inserting the magazine, chambering the round, removing the magazine, and inserting the round that HAD been in the chamber.

What was happening was, the SAME TWO rounds were constantly being chambered every day, and the bullets were being pushed back into the case by the constant impact on the feed ramp.

Short rounds cause failures to feed, and the compressed load raises pressures WAY high.

Bottom line: Rotate the ammo so the same rounds aren't chambered more than a few times, and shoot the older ammo up."

Here's another thread on it: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... ?p=2720214

And then I see quotes like this, "Depends on the tightness of the crimp. I've found Winchester White Box to set back noticeably after 3-4 chamberings; Remington/UMC did not."

This issue was mentioned a lot of times on the boards I researched before I bought my PM9, and I've heard it before over the years. I can't attest to its veracity, however. But it does make me ask, "If it can happen from the force of the bullet hitting the feed ramp, why not from pounding down on the bullet with a mallet?"
Note the comments I've put in bold print. CENTERFIRE, NON-HEELED BULLETS! Don't confuse the issues. Attention to detail.

BTW, that's a key to successful use of any of these .22 rimfire bullet modification tools, attention to detail.

I have seen .22 rimfire bullets set back in the case, but on purpose and with a large hammer. It is far easier to pull them out than to push them back into the case.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks for the clarification, Hobie. Never having loaded .22s, I didn't realize there was a difference in the bullet shape (is that what 'heeled' means?), one that would prevent the bullet from seating more deeply. Without taking up room on this thread, I will do more research to get my questions answered.

Only having gotten into reloading 4 years ago, and only using a Lee handpress, I would like to think that attention to detail is one of my strong suits. Now if I can only address the knowledge gap...as one can't pay attention to details one doesn't know about.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Hobie hit the nail on the head, I was thinking the same thing...heeled bullets, for those who don't know, have a rear 'shank' for lack of a better term, that is smaller in diameter then the portion of the projectile that is out above the cartridge case. The portion of the projectile outside the cartridge case is full diamete, i.e., .224 or thereabouts, while the bottom shank is sized to fit inside the cartridge case of the 22 LR. Thus, the case of the 22LR will be 'flush' with the bullet, the same diameter as the projectile.

A centerfire, with a few exceptions (.41 Long Colt, 38 long colt, etc) has a bullet that is one diameter from the rear edge of the ogive all the way back to the base of the projectile.

A .22 magnum is set up like this--as opposed to a 22 LR, which is while the 22LR cannot be fired in a 22 magnum chamber. The 22 mag case is LARGER in diameter then the projectile, while the 22LR is the SAME diameter as the projectile. You can have two cylinders for a 22 revolver (Like the Ruger), since the bore is the same for either round.

The old Winchester 22 auto round, IIRC, uses a full-diameter bullet instead of a heeled round, as well.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Now I understand:

HEEL-TYPE BULLET - A bullet with rear section of reduced diameter; so when loaded, the front portion is flush with the case.