Scents and lures for black bear?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Scents and lures for black bear?

Post by bigbore442001 »

Has anyone here ever used any sort of scent or lure to hunt black bear? Has anyone here ever used what is called a honey burn? That is a container of honey set on a burning can of Sterno to possibly increase the chances of seeing a bear while hunting?
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Scents and lures for black bear?

Post by Mich Hunter »

It seams that it only takes us making breakfast at deer camp to attract bears. We have had many come in from the smell of us cooking. I have never used scents and lures, but baits if that makes sense. Honey and week old donuts worked for me in the past. I have seen the old timers smear peanut butter and bacon grease inside old tires to get them to come in. It keeps them digging and not paying any attention to me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Baiting may not be legal in all jurisdictions.

I've never had any luck by using a honey burn, but my son has taken three bears over stale donuts, scrounged for the bubble as chain coffee shop discards.

The only thing, though, is - it's an unreasonable expectation to walk in to some location, bait it, then expect to see a bear there anytime soon.
The sites need to be baited for a period of time, with a daily check/replenishment, to let the bears find them and become used to their presence.

My son's Canadian Indian guide has a chain of multiple bait/treestand sites, which is maintained for several weeks prior to, and throughout, the hunt(s).

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Depending on the how many bears are in your area . You should be baiting by now. Alot of people ait all summer. It's alot of work. I have also heard that bears like the smell of LP. But I don't think thats legal to use for baiting purposes.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Anything that smells sweet will work
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

In some states where it's legal to bait, you may not begin baiting till the season opens.

Find a bakery or a Hostess store for your bait. I used to buy the out of date Hostess goodies for $10.00 for a shopping cart heaping full.
NRA Life Member
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Here in Massachusetts we cannot use dogs or bait. Bait is defined as something edible so a scent or lure can be used. It is tough since the area is hilly and thickly wooded .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A quart of that gol danged stinky Vietnmese Fish Sauce smells like a truck full of rotten fish......I've always thought that poured into a rottn stump would be a hell of a good idea........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Here in Massachusetts we cannot use dogs or bait.]

I wuz gonna suggest thet ya stake out Ole' Teddy Kennedy, b'fer he croaks, 'cause he was always doin' sumptin' fishy - but (sigh) ya kain't use him or "our hero" Kerry, I guess, cauza the "no dogs" thing. ;)
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

It has been reported by Lane Simpson, that a rabbit in distress call will sometimes bring in a bear. But be alert when you use it as they come in fast!!!! Good luck!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Have had good luck with a Ford F-150 in NW PA.
They seemed to be drawn to that darned truck like flies to a sugar cube!
A little quicker with the gas pedal and I'd have had two of them!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

No bait or dogs in Oregon.
I've seen bowhunting shows where archers in treestands shot bears over 55 gallon drums of chum. Doesn't seem sporting to me.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Anise oil is stronger and lasts longer than anything I know. It smells like Good & Plenty.

This photo was taken last summer in Pocono Mts of eastern Pennsylvania near a Christian Camp. My daughter worked there all summer as a Counselor with the kids. Nope, I was not hunting with a rifle. Just enjoying nature and carrying my digital camera. The bear often arrived at dusk to sniff around the chained and padlocked garbage dumpster. I'd back tracked the bear and made a little blind to await for his return. Distance was about 45 feet. When the bear showed, I felt a rush of excitement and a little fear, too. The only weapon I carried was a Camillus jack knife.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That looks like a dandy bear.
NRA Life Member
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Maple syrup, dead carp, sweet anise all work good.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

We've found that a full garbage can of dinner scraps with the lid left off works just dandy!
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Go to www.bearscents.com ,Peanut Butter works,carcasses of filleted salmon & steelhead,dead deer carcass or dead steer anything that stinks.A deputy friend of mine met an old logger in N Calif and asked him if there were any bear in the valley area below them,the old guy asked him soon do you want to see one?He then explained his method: get a big can of honey and heat it on a portable stove so the fumes drift down into the valley & within minutes if there's a bear there he'll be right up.I learned about stink baits from a US Predator & Rodent Control Agent in Tucson,AZ when I was a student earning my BS in Wildlife Mgt at the Univ of AZ .He made up a concoction & one had to be careful of the wind direction when opening the stink bait jar:calf brains,beaver castor,limburger cheese,female urine from bobcat,fox,coyote along with their organs & some fish parts then set the gallon jar in the AZ sun to rippen stirring to mix the ingredients occasionally,man that stuff stunk! There is a really malodorous catfish bait called Hogg Wild that might work as it really stinks.I was thinking of pasting some under the chair of another probation supervisor I didn't like and coating the phone mouth piece with a bit! Never did it!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

So how do ya get oil out yer anise soos the bar kin smell um?
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

m.wun wrote:So how do ya get oil out yer anise soos the bar kin smell um?

HA!
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942