How to remove Marlin M1895 GS foreend?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

How to remove Marlin M1895 GS foreend?

Post by Naphtali »

I'm part-way through a stock swap. I've run into a snag. I cannot remove Marlin 1896 GS' foreend. I've removed the foreend cap. Foreend is loose around the magazine tube. But there is a wedge between barrel and magazine tube into which foreend cap screws thread. This wedge appears to interfere with removing the foreend.

How do I remove the foreend? Is there some procedure to install the new foreend, or do I reverse what I learn from this query?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to remove Marlin M1895 GS foreend?

Post by Pete44ru »

Remove the magazine tube screw first, then remove the forearm and mag tube together by pulling down & forward.
Take care not to lose the follower, which might go a-spring, when the mag spring pressure is released.
Take further care during re-instalation, that the rear magazine tube bulge is opposite the loading gate - unless you're converting to single-shot, too. ;)
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Pete44ru wrote:Remove the magazine tube screw first, then remove the forearm and mag tube together by pulling down & forward.
Take care not to lose the follower, which might go a-spring, when the mag spring pressure is released.
Take further care during re-instalation, that the rear magazine tube bulge is opposite the loading gate - unless you're converting to single-shot, too. ;)
Then the wedge-foreend holder remains attached to the magazine tube? Or does it fall loose when I pull downward on the tube as I'm pulling the tube forward?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It will remain in the dovetail cut in the barrel.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And............take it slo & EZ, as the forend iron has sharp edges which might split/chip out the wood edge(s), if the forend's manhandled out.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Be advised that the mag tube has a bulge toward the left side of the gun. This bulge is morticed (relief cut) into the forearm. This is to accomodate the length of the 45-70. The mag tube and forearm should be removed as a unit.

TomF
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Be advised that the mag tube has a bulge toward the left side of the gun]

Thanks fer checking up on me, Tom. ;)

[" Take further care during re-instalation, that the rear magazine tube bulge is opposite the loading gate " ]
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Your welcome Pete. The bulge confounded me for a while until I figgered it out.

TomF