Wild West Gun Co-pilot pix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Wild West Gun Co-pilot pix

Post by rjohns94 »

I was asked to show some more better pics of the WWG .457 mag/45-70 Co-Pilot and to show the take-down mechanism. I hope the following pictures help. The take-down feature is pretty easy: first step is open the lever, then unscrew the magazine retention knob at the end of the magazine, pull the mag tube out towards the muzzle about 1-2inches, then unscrew the forend from the receiver. Reverse the process to reassemble. The workmanship is so excellent that the zero or the headspace is not affected. Here are some pictures to show those parts:

this picture shows the knob for the magzine retention screw with the mag tube retracted for removal. The knob screws into the barrel when the rifle is assembled.

this shows the threads of the forend portion along with the retracted magazine tube.

This shows the receiver side where the threads and the mag tube go.

Hope that helps with understanding the take-down function of the WWG co-pilot. Below are some pics of the rifle in better light than before.

thanks for all the comments posted on the other thread. I am very pleased with this rifle and was very glad to get it through this forum. Its a keeper and I plan on taking lots of game with it. hope you enjoy the pictures.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wild West Gun Co-pilot pix

Post by salvo »

Thanks, great pictures!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Let me know if you need any other angles or measurements. I was surprised on the threads for the barrel and the work they did there. I think that was done because the chamber was extended to accomodate the .457mag.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Is the take down screw held in the magazine tube when it is unscrewed?
Will the magazine tube pull all the way out or is it retained somehow?

Thanks again.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The mag screw is retained in the tube. The tube does not come out all the way, it just moves that little bit.
Mike Johnson,

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

How are they retained?
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think it is a two piece screw. the knob on the end is attached to what looks like a 1/4" shaft that has the treads (which are larger diameter than the hole the shaft goes through) attached. So the treads retain on one side of the bearing shaft hole, the know retains on the other end. I suppose the shaft is inserted into the knob after it is passed through the bearing shaft hole, probably screws into it (counter threads) but I can't tell.
Mike Johnson,

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty cool!

Looks like another keeper!! The phrase " Pack Howitzer" comes to mind! :D

The guys up at WWG are real pros. I bought a Mauser Bolo Broom handle from them and Ken, the owner, was such a pleasure to deal with and a super nice guy.
I've been wanting to send my 94P up there for the take down conversion. One of these days I'll get it up there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason, you are right. I have talked to them on several occasions and they are great. I am very pleased with this rifle, one that I wanted for many years, and I am very happy to have been able to make a deal to get one from a great Forum member. (Thanks again Ron. )
Mike Johnson,

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Cool gun. WOW.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool. Good thing the barrel is ported I imagine it would kick like a bear other wise.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome!!! 8) :D
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

awsome rifle 8) 8)
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That is a pretty sweet looking, and useful, gun you have there. I can only pick at one thing; the lever. But that's a personal preference, not fact.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

J Reed,

It also has a decelerator in the butt stock,

mike
Mike Johnson,

Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

rjohns94 wrote:Let me know if you need any other angles or measurements. I was surprised on the threads for the barrel and the work they did there. I think that was done because the chamber was extended to accomodate the .457mag.
Interesting machine.

What is the composition of stock beneath finish? What is finish on stock? What is finish on metal surfaces?

Is the magazine capable of being unloaded via the loading gate? I ask because Grizzly Custom Guns in Montana offers it; I have no idea if this feature is common to many Marlin/Winchester gunsmiths.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

rjohns94 wrote:J Reed,

It also has a decelerator in the butt stock,

mike
Ahh yes a must have. So when are you going to take it to Africa and tell us how it does on big critters :?: :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Don't know about Africa trip date yet. But its really possible I will use it on the trip to Texas. Depends what I find down there. More to follow.
Mike Johnson,

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great Rifle, I have been wanting one for many years and bought one in the same caliber from a forum member last fall. It is waiting for me to return to the states to test it.
You acquired the exact one I wanted to have built but couldn’t afford on a government salary.
I can’t wait for your range reports.
GREAT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT… Congratulations
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Naphtali,

The entire stock is kevlar. The finish is called Glacier Kote. I have unloaded the mag from the gate, you do not have to cycle the rounds if you want to unload.

Paladin,
First, thanks again for your service. After 21 years of service, it is with pride that I look to those who are standing the watch now, in distant lands, in all hours of the night and day, so that we might enjoy the freedoms you fight for. For a range report, see my other post of the range report. You will love your rifle I am sure. Be safe and get back here and post your own report. :D
Mike Johnson,

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Ball park, what's that thing weigh? I bet the recoil of that thing is brutal. Nice gun though.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The co-pilot is 35 inches long and weighs 6 1/2# without the scope, unloaded. I didn't find the recoil objectionable at all and actually enjoyed shooting it. The only problem I had with the rifle is getting used to the reticle of the scope. It is the right reticle for fast shooting and for dangerous game but I am not really familiar with it. Need to shoot a few critters to get more used to it. :D
Mike Johnson,

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Again, that's a really nice piece. Might Mike check it out on an Alaskan Grizz or Brownie some time in the future as well?
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I plan to go on 'Bou hunt with my longbow sometime in the future, as well as a Moose hunt with the longbow. On either of those, I might be looking for a bear of black or brown persuasion. If I do, this rifle will be right there in the mix.
Mike Johnson,

Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That puts the "Black Rifle" phrase that the AR guys use into a picture we here can relate to.
RAC
Levergunner

Post by RAC »

I have hunted with mine a time or two. I shot some 530 grain cast @ 1500 fps with it the other day. If I can swing it, I would like to make a trip for a Cape Buffalo in Zim in a couple of years provided the country hasn't completely melted down. Nice rifle by the way.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very Nice. It is with me as I travel to texas for the levergun hunt.
Mike Johnson,

foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Hey Rac good to see your post. We met up in Maine on 86er's bear hunt. How did your ribs heal :?: Anything interesting going on hunting wise!
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I am aware of two Marlin-smiths who alter M1895 receiver's barrel threads at boss to allow thicker barrels at threads to be used while simultaneously forcing receiver's barrel boss to become part of the hoop strength of the barrel. . . . Whew!

Your rifle's cartridge is, for Marlins, very high pressure. Did WWG perform this operation on your rifle? If they did not, do they perform it on, perhaps, their 50 Alaskan conversions?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson