OT- Inoshishi Yari

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- Inoshishi Yari

Post by GANJIRO »

Just wanted to share some pictures of a work in progress my Ihepua'a, Inoshishi Yari, or Boar Spear. Still needs final fitting of parts, laquering of staff, polishing of metal work, and wrapping of handle with tarred nylon twine, and finished with 4 "Turk's Heads". I designed this spear combining features of both the Japanese Yari (spear) and Naginata (halberd). It has a straight symmetrical blade of the Yari but a single edge like the Naginata. Also like the Naginata it has a Tsuba or guard below the blade that the Yari usually did not possess. This is to prevent a boar from running up the spear. I put copper reinforcing bands on both the blade end and the butt end the butt end traditionally also used as a bludgeon in battle. I will also be carving appropriate Kanji charactors into the handle. Will post more pictures as project progresses.

Tsuba and Copper band

Blade and Tsuba

Copper band on butt end with rubber cap for walking

Two sets of wrapping and "Turk's Heads" to be added below blade end copper band, and above butt end copper band

I am planning on taking this back to Maui to hunt boars at Kaupo with a pack of hounds. ;D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Inoshishi Yari

Post by Tycer »

Way too cool!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That looks like a bayonet blade... :wink: Seriously, I've seen bayonet blades reworked as spear blades. Of course the tsuba would work just as the bar does on European boar spears. Probably not needed for work on boar but some belly in the blade would give the blade some sweep for slashes as with a naginata. I like it!

Oh, and for sure you sometimes need a quiet end to the spear when working among any rock at all.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Very nice looking spear,
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ji, that looks awesome. When you get around to making those for $$$$, put me on the list. Tell me more about the blade please. I know little about the spears but as I compare it to my first love of archery, a double edged blade basically doubles the cutting edge, and hence the better chance of causing more hemorage. You obviously have the experience in this and know better so why the choice of a single blade? The spear looks awesome and will love hearing about its use and seeing the finished product. Well done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like it!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It looks like you do good work Ji. What kind of diameter does that handle have? It looks beefy enough for even large hands to hold.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

A similar weapon is/was used in S.America to hunt jaguar. Dogs cornered the cat then the hunter pushed until it pounced. I've read the hunter has to put the butt of the spear in his hip to keep the cat out of striking range. Takes some big ones to tangle with a cat (or boar) that can kill you... :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sasha Siemel is THE jaguar killer I know about. Many a 10 year old's fantasy was initiated by reading of his exploits. I actually speared a groundhog and learned how that crossbar or tsuba is really necessary.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a bunch of K98 bayonets from Smokey Mountain Knife Works a few years ago. I made throwing knives out of them. I never thought about using them for spear blades.

I think an Arisaka (sp?) bayonet would make a better spear point as it's longer.

Nice work Ji. I bought a book on spear hunting a few years ago from a gun shop in Pensacola. The guy that wrote it is from Alabama and uses the Cold Steel Boar Spear pretty much exclusively.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji -

You're an artist! I am looking forward to seeing the finished spear. Where do you get all of your materials?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:Sasha Siemel is THE jaguar killer I know about.
This guy took 303 jaguars . But only 30 with a spear . With longbow he took 111 , 22 were captured ALIVE and the remainder with a rifle . This was his tally as of 1948 per Peter Hathaway Capstick !

I also find it intresting that one of the greatest "jaguar killers" of all time was actually latvian !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great Stuff!!

Looks like an SKS bayonet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hobie wrote:That looks like a bayonet blade... :wink: Seriously, I've seen bayonet blades reworked as spear blades.
The first thing that popped into my head on seeing those photos was WWI K-98 Mauser Bayonet.

Great looking spear Ganjiro!

BTW, I' still looking for a source for the fabric you asked about.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Excellent looking spear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Very Cool!!!!

Good luck getting that through airport security :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:Sasha Siemel is THE jaguar killer I know about.
This guy took 303 jaguars . But only 30 with a spear . With longbow he took 111 , 22 were captured ALIVE and the remainder with a rifle . This was his tally as of 1948 per Peter Hathaway Capstick !

I also find it intresting that one of the greatest "jaguar killers" of all time was actually latvian !
I think his rifle was a .44-40 Model 92.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sasha Simel also used a .32 S&W revolver, and he had one of the S&W Registered Magnus, but I don't know if he used it on Jaguars.

That tigrero definitely had more courage and skill than good sense.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

rjohns94 wrote:Ji, that looks awesome. When you get around to making those for $$$$, put me on the list. Tell me more about the blade please. I know little about the spears but as I compare it to my first love of archery, a double edged blade basically doubles the cutting edge, and hence the better chance of causing more hemorage. You obviously have the experience in this and know better so why the choice of a single blade? The spear looks awesome and will love hearing about its use and seeing the finished product. Well done.
Aloha Mike, You'll be on the top of my list if/when I go commercial though I could never mass produce these I being too much a perfectionist. Each thing I make whether it be bowls, Kages, spears, I have a slight attachment to so have difficulty selling, I guess it's my creation, and not just an object. Will have to change my mindset to become a better businessman. Here in Hawaii the spear is used strictly for piercing the heart of the pig so a single edge blades is more then adequate, and the bayonet blade I adapted for the spear point is rather narrow and thin so did not want to remove too much more material by sharpening both sides thus reducing mass and strength though I do think I'll sharpen about two inches of the top side from the point back ala Bowie knife. My cheap source of these blades has dried up, used to get them for $5.00 each plus shipping but now they start at $25.00 plus shipping if I can even locate find them.
Ysabel Kid wrote:Ji -

You're an artist! I am looking forward to seeing the finished spear. Where do you get all of your materials?
I get my raw materials mostly from local hardware store, and some stuff online like the bayonet blades.
dsmith512 wrote: Good luck getting that through airport security :D
There is a large catamaran "Superferry" that you can drive a vehicle onto, and the passenger rates are half that of airfare so I will "drive" back to Maui my next trip to try out my Boar Spear, and not have to deal with TSA paranoia. :D http://hawaiisuperferry.com/
Last edited by GANJIRO on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

What a great spear, Ji. Put me on your list of customers when the time comes!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

86er wrote:What a great spear, Ji. Put me on your list of customers when the time comes!
Will do Joe. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

What I want is a Naginata-jo...

Think a pair of blades that nest into a jo-staff but can be seperated for use escrima style or conjoined at the but to be a double naginata. :twisted:

I actually "designed" one of these many moons ago while I was a yoot playing AD&D... long before one Mr. Lucas gave one to his spiky red-faced Sith Dude. :o
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Doc Hudson wrote: BTW, I' still looking for a source for the fabric you asked about.
Thanks Doc, Clan MacFarlane a hard tartan to find in cotton. :wink:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Old Ironsights wrote:What I want is a Naginata-jo...

Think a pair of blades that nest into a jo-staff but can be seperated for use escrima style or conjoined at the but to be a double naginata. :twisted:

I actually "designed" one of these many moons ago while I was a yoot playing AD&D... long before one Mr. Lucas gave one to his spiky red-faced Sith Dude. :o
My nephew picked one of these up at the local swap meet for $30:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep. Now just make it out of good steel & hardwood, double edged with a 1/4turn twist-lock butcap and it would be "all that". 8)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Have you checked with Smoky Mountain knifeworks?

I bought a Yugoslav Mauser Bayonet there for, IIRC, $7.00 a coup0le of years ago.

Image Image
UNITE!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Doc Hudson wrote:Have you checked with Smoky Mountain knifeworks?

I bought a Yugoslav Mauser Bayonet there for, IIRC, $7.00 a coup0le of years ago.
Yup, first place I looked. They don't have exactly what I need but they do have cheap Czech bayonets for $6.99 in "as found" condition (whatever that means) if I get desperate. Thanks!
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Can you kill sharks in Hawaii or is it really bad for the native folks :?:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

ohwin94_61 wrote:Can you kill sharks in Hawaii or is it really bad for the native folks :?:
What's kind of silly is that in ancient days shark fishing was the sport of Hawaiian royalty and was practiced by commoners as well. Hawaiians believed (some still do) in Aumakua or family guardian spirits which were embodied in animals such as tiger sharks, owls, hawks, turtles, eels, various fish species, etc. It was not uncommon for families and clans to kill the Aumakua of rival families. Fast forward to modern times and when ever a shark (usually a Tiger Shark) attacks a person there's panic and pandemonium trying to catch that "evil" shark by the white community while the native community fights the efforts claiming Aumakua even though it may not be their family's Aumakua. I don't feel those who claim to be Christians (majority of modern Hawaiians) should be mixing ancient pagan beliefs with Christianity. I also don't believe in the wanton slaughter of Tiger Sharks every time someone gets attacked. The sea belongs to the sea creatures and we trespass from time to time and sometimes we pay for it. Sharks aren't "evil", they are just efficient eating machines that God created to keep things in balance. Man enter water sometimes throws things off balance and the sharks just do what they were programed to do. If I get attacked by a shark I'll know it was my fault.

Blah, blah, blah, :D To answer your question Tiger Sharks in particular are usually claimed to be guardian spirits so if you hook into one try not to kill it and bring it into the harbor or there might be trouble. Take a picture, cut it lose. Other species not as sensitive. In over 40 years of diving and fishing here I've had countless encounters with sharks but never felt the need to kill one. This was one of few areas my Dad and I did not agree on, he hated sharks but then again he was a WWII Pacific Theatre veteran and so had his reasons which I will not get into. Me being raised in the islands had a different more local perspective, and respect, not fear or hate of sharks. I've owned a 357 magnum bangstick for 30 years but never felt threatened enough to use on a shark, though a few vicious coconuts have been put to rest with it. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji,
you might look on the internet for the plans to use firebrick and such to make yourself a kiln and make your own blades from less expensive bar stock. Learning to watch the color for heat treating is fun. You will ruin a few blades at first, but after you get the hang of it, a good high carbon blade is able to hold an edge and take some hard use without giving up. I don't know if you would want to make your own, but if you do, it is not too hard.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote:Ji,
you might look on the internet for the plans to use firebrick and such to make yourself a kiln and make your own blades from less expensive bar stock. Learning to watch the color for heat treating is fun. You will ruin a few blades at first, but after you get the hang of it, a good high carbon blade is able to hold an edge and take some hard use without giving up. I don't know if you would want to make your own, but if you do, it is not too hard.
Good Idea. Unlike a forge for sword blades, knife-forges aren't hard to do - I've seen several varieties on the net.

Next thing youk now Ji will be going all Shinto Swordsmith on us and making watered blades with real hamon lines... :lol: :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!