Can a gun be de-chromed?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Can a gun be de-chromed?

Post by mklwhite »

A friend I work with has found a pistol he'd like to get his hands on, but some jerk chromed it up and it looks awful! :evil: So my question is can a gun be de-chromed and made look "right". Any (ballpark) idea of how much it would cost?
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Can a gun be de-chromed?

Post by Bramble »

No idea what it would cost in the US but any chrome plater can simply put it in the bath and reverse the polarity and plate it off again.
Then there is proberbly a copper layer beneath that has to be plated off as well.

Regards
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I believe you can dechrome a piece. The price, I haven't a clue. I'd contact these guys and ask them. http://www.apwcogan.com/
Old Law Dawg
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

kimwcook wrote:I'd contact these guys and ask them. http://www.apwcogan.com/
I dropped by his shop a few months ago with just such a proposition. Stripping the plating wasn't going to be a problem. It was everything else that would've been necessary to bring a 50yr old abused S&W back to life. Only found out later that it also had a bulged barrel. By the way, Accurate does excellent work and the guy is easy to deal with. He just talks a lot. ;)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Some years ago I had a Smith and Weson de-nickled and blued by an outfit call Rebel Gun Reblue in Ocala Florida. The de-plating was included in the cost of the re-blue job.

I have also used Accurate Plating and Weaponry to blue several fine rifles. Their work is outstanding.
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Post by BigBoreWhore »

Rebel does awesome work... If its nice they are the only ones I trust!
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)