Hunting in Canada ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Hunting in Canada ?

Post by TomF »

I have a whitetail/muledeer/coyote trip to Alberta planned for this fall. I am going under the Hunter Host program. I have all the necessary documentation, license prerequisits and approval from the SRD (Sustainable Resource Department) the equivilent to our Parks and Wildlife department. The question is,,,,,,,,,who have traveled into Canada with a rifle and ammo? Can I expect to pay an airline fee for carrying the gun and ammo in separate cases? A fee at the customs office at the border? Additional questioning at customs?

Any discussion and direction would be appreciated.

TomF
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Hunting in Canada ?

Post by gamekeeper »

BTT
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The firearm must be declared to US Customs, prior to leaving the US, or you won't be allowed to bring it back in (import).
It's a good idea to put all expensive gear, like rangefinders, video cameras, digi cameras, scopes, binocs, and spotting scopes on there, along with the gun(s). Don't sign it, until you're FTF with the Customs Agent.

The form is DD-1252-1

http://www.usa-federal-forms.com/usa-fe ... able-b.pdf

Canada taxes each firearm @ $60 per entry, IIRC.

Did you check, about bringing back any part of the central nervous system ? (brain, spinal column, etc) The concern is about CWD.
I think you have to also fill out & submit a SIPES (SP ?) form for any hides - or have any trophy work done in Canada.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Thanks Pete. Good Information. Just what I was looking for.

TomF
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

TomF wrote:I have a whitetail/muledeer/coyote trip to Alberta planned for this fall. I am going under the Hunter Host program. I have all the necessary documentation, license prerequisits and approval from the SRD (Sustainable Resource Department) the equivilent to our Parks and Wildlife department. The question is,,,,,,,,,who have traveled into Canada with a rifle and ammo? Can I expect to pay an airline fee for carrying the gun and ammo in separate cases? A fee at the customs office at the border? Additional questioning at customs?

Any discussion and direction would be appreciated.

TomF
Go to Canadian Firearms Center site. I think it is http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. There will be lots of info and there is a phone number you can contact. You will need a permit and I believe you will need to register rifle with government. There is a fee (small). The legal authorities are quite reasonable, just be cool, no attitude and no handguns,period. Your only possible headache will be the airlines,they vay in policy and costsetc. Get there requiirements in writing and keep copy with you. *I would pack rifle with trigger lock on, in locked case, bolt out if possible. Ammo in original box (if reloads, put them in acommerical box, not the MTM type, but the boxes you buy commercial ammop in.Pack separate from rifle.Have your hunt contract handy, should be a snap, good hunting!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Thanks big bear
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You need to declare the firearms and you can put other articles on the US Customs form 4457. You can take your firearm to any Customs and Border Protection office before you leave to get the form stamped and signed. They will need to see your ID and the actual firearm to verify the serial #. The CBP form can be found, and filled out at: http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf and then printed off and taken to the office.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member