Another What would you pick poll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Another What would you pick poll

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, so you didn't like the two firearm poll, one rifle, one pistol. I learned alot myself from my previous question. I appreciate so much your opinions. Casastahle wants a poll on the 15 min, grab and go. this is not that question. We had a what would you do if you were going to Alaska experiment question, a limited to one rifle and one handgun poll, a what gun do you wish you hadn't let pass poll. Some of you won't want to participate in this one. We are currently blessed to live in a country where we are not limited to the amount of firearms we can possess. Our future, may not be so blessed with ammo prices going through the roof, lead being banned, semi's under attack or even banned. Our past lies in the legacy of our forefathers, who set forth in a document the basic freedoms we continue to enjoy and fight for today.

In this question, I would like to explore what is your MINIMUM Battery of weapons that would cover all situations that you currently participate in or would like to participate in, except collecting. I know many of you are passionate collectors. I am sorry, you can obstain, but outside of collecting, what firearms do you need to pursue your hobbie / way of life. I will go first:

My firearms are used for self defence in daily carry, and for hunting, and occasional plinking. I am always concerned about a survival situation and plan my weapons around all of these things. My Minimum battery is this:

Muzzleloading season - Flintlock .54 Cal made by brad emig
Bird Hunting - a 12ga shotgun - preferred is a side by side hammer English Midland , but I could use any shotgun
Small game - Marlin 39 TDS or Marlin 1897 .22lr
Big game - Sharps 45-70 or Wild West Guns Marlin 1895 45-70
plinking rifle - NKJ .357 model 92 or the marlin 22lr's
Field carry pistol - 45lc Freedom arms premier, .22lr/.22mag Freedom arms premier. Bond derringer 45/410. Smith 60-3pro
Carry gun - Rohrbaugh 9mm or Smith and Wessen 60-3 Pro
survival grab and go: the same NKJ .357 and Smith listed above. and steyr scout .308 but I could do without the Scout rifle
Pellet rifle: Beeman .20cal spring air with scope.

AS I look through this list, 8-9 firearms could get me through all I like to do with the firearms. Flintlock.54, 12ga shotgun, .22lr lever, .357 lever, .45-70 lever, .357 Smith, pellet rifle make 7, and I would like to have the big bore pistol and .22 small bore.

Further reductions could be a result of shooting subsonic ammo in my .22lr - eliminating the pellet rifle; I could ditch the .45lc and .22lr/.22 mag pistol and the bond derringer in 45/410 by settling on the Smith 60-3 pro and if I did, i could be convinced to ditch the rohrbaugh and be perfectly happy with the .357. I could choose either the sharps or the 45-70 and I would at this time choose the marlin due to its vesatility. That leaves me with these:

muzzleloader
shotgun
22 lr Levergun
.357 levergun
45-70 levergun
.357 pistol.

6 - my bare essentials to cover all my shooting requirements.

WHAT IS YOUR BARE ESSENTIAL FIREARMS BATTERY.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Another What would you pick poll

Post by lever-4-life »

Remington 700 30-06: long range hunting gun
Winchester pre64 94 carbine 30-30: My main deer gun, would also be my fighting rifle also my favorite gun of all time
Remington 34 .22LR: small game and plinking gun
remington 870 12 ga: birds
colt python 4" .357: would shoot .38's for fun, carry 125 jhp's, and could lug heavy hard casts to hunt with
pre64 model 70 in .375 H&H: If I ever wanted to hunt the big boys :twisted:
H&R topper in .410: My old standby dove gun
O.M. single six: .22 revolvers are fun
Last edited by lever-4-life on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

30-06
6mm
K22
20 guage 870 Express
T/C New Englander - .50 cal.
44 Spl Model 24
Win 94 22
Marlin 1895SS 45-70
Win 94 25-35
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Boy Mike, do you know how to phrase a question... :wink:

My minimal battery requirements haven't been met... yet! :mrgreen:

But, I'm pretty sure I have a good start; about 4 years ago when entering Canada they asked me where I was from, then asked if I owned any guns; then asked how many... I told 'em I didn't know! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I would have to have a .22lr a .45 M/L a 28ga and my 16ga as a bare minimum.

Handguns are not necessary here as people like me are deemed not safe to have them so I don't need one for self defense as no one else like me can have one. DUH, Silly me, I forgot about the bad guys, they still have theirs!!! :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Winchester 94 Legacy w/tang sight in .357 for silhouette and plinking. Marlin 336A in 30-30 with Weaver 1-3x for deer hunting. Benjamin Sheridan 392 for birds and bunnies.

I have more but would be covered with these.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A firearm of matching calibers for each person I might be with in any situation. Right now that's me and Nance.

Pair of J-frames
Pair of 357s
pair of 22 rifles
pair of 38/357 rifles
pair of long range rifles
pair of 12 ga
pair of 1886 45/70s with very heavy solids.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

lever4life - That .375 is a classic. Any pictures? I saw a picture of one on Craig Boddington's Safari Rifles and lusted after one ever since. I have never owned one though. hmmmmm

Old Savage - tell me more about your 25-35. I have never owned a gun in that caliber. Sounds like a neat one to have around.

Griff - you would probably fall into that collector category!

game keeper - kAny chance the new conservatives will reverse that policy?

Sobenk - I was tempted to put the sheridan down instead of either my .22 or the beeman.

Tycer - what would your long range rifles be?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Marlin 39a
Remingon 03A3
Winchester Model 12/ 20Ga.
Winchester 92, 32-20
Browning 86, 45-70
1911A1, 45ACP or Super Blackhawk, .44M

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well let's see, I'd have to keep my

Glock 19 for CCW
Henry 22 for small game
Mossberg 9200 for fowl
Marlin 336ER for close range big game
Ruger 338 Win Mag for long range jobs
Also need to keep my Pre-64 Mod 70 375 H&H and my Krieghoff 470 NE, just because you never know when that angry cape buffalo might decide to stomp me into a mudhole. :D
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"In this question, I would like to explore what is your MINIMUM Battery of weapons that would cover all situations that you currently participate in or would like to participate in, except collecting."

12ga. Browning Citori.

Rem. 541S .22cal.

Savage 99 .308Win.

PA. flint lock long rifle .45cal. (Built by Brad Emig)

Colt SAA .357mag.

Colt SAA NF .22 /.22 mag.

Sig P239 .40SW.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Currently a Win 670 in 30-06, a 358 Win BLR, and a 356 Win 94.
I'd like to add another 358 Win and relegate the 670 and the 356 as bartering items.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

about the same as before

M39
W9422
M1895GS
B 1886
M90 12 ga
H&R 20 ga
R Redhawk .44

and a clatter of smiths, but you can't see them, and you don't want to...
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

my bare esential list is:
Remington 870 12gauge
Marlin 39 M
Savage 110 .30-06 4x scope
Smith and Wesson 19

I would like to throw in Marlin 1894 44 mag, but not essential
I would like to throw in Savage 110ML 50 cal muzzleloader but again not essential
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ideally:

[Muzzleloading:] - .50 Cal Austin & Halleck Flintlock Mountain Rifle or .50 cal T/C Omega
[Bird Hunting:] - 20ga Beretta O/U shotgun
[Small game:] - Ruger 77/22 Magnum, 4x Leupold or custom Winchester M-52
[Medium game:] - 6.5x55 Model 70 Featherweight, 2-7x33 Leupold or Marlin 1894P
[Big game:] - .30-06 Ruger #1-RSI or .45-70 Marlin 1895 SS
[Plinking rifle:] - 1946 Marlin 39a
[Field carry pistol:] - .454 Casull Ruger SuperRedhawk, Tasco red dot (handgun hunts)
[Carry gun:] - Walther PP or S&W M-37 Airweight
[Target Pistol:] - Ruger T-514 or S&W M-41
[Survival grab and go:] - Savage .22/.410 w/ammo pack
[Pellet rifle:] - Crossman 5mm pump

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My "When push comes to shove" bare essential, because one gun can do it all : 12ga Benelli M1 Super 90
Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok GRIZZ, you have my attention, Why can't we see the clatter of smiths and why would you think we don't want to see them. Show us your smiths. VBG :D
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pete44ru - I love Bennelli shotguns and at one time, it was the only firearm I had. Straight stock, extended mag, 26" tube with choke system, and a slug barrel. Made choosing what to grab very easy.
Mike Johnson,

tj3006
Levergunner

Post by tj3006 »

I think I could get by with my custom, JC higgins 30 ,06. My custom 45 commander , and my bull barrel ruger MK 2.
But Thank god I don't have to.
...tj3006
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:...

muzzleloader
shotgun
22 lr Levergun
.357 levergun
45-70 levergun
.357 pistol.

6 - my bare essentials to cover all my shooting requirements.

WHAT IS YOUR BARE ESSENTIAL FIREARMS BATTERY.
It looks like you have mine... for just about the same reasons.

I have a .50 Flinter rather than a .54, but other than that
I supose the biggest question from that list would be....

12ga pump with extra barrels/riot gear or Drilling.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI, I have been watching a cape gun that is 38-55 and 12gauge, in a sxs config that could just be the cats meow!
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:OI, I have been watching a cape gun that is 38-55 and 12gauge, in a sxs config that could just be the cats meow!
is that a 12x12 over 38-55 or just 12x38-55?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rjohns94 wrote: game keeper - kAny chance the new conservatives will reverse that policy?
There just might be a chance we could get something back, but I will not be holding my breath! :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

870 mag 12 ga. with three barrels (rifled slug included)

ruger P9 carbine, P95DC

colt 1911 & IMI desert eagle .45 ACP

marlin 1894c & taurus 38/357

kel tec .223 carbine

i prefer firearms, for "what if/grab and run/survive/doomsday" scenerios, that are of the caliber most available from law enforcment and military sources as well as from your local wal-mart or tru-value hardware: .45 ACP, 9x19MM, 12 ga. (slugs included), .223/5.56 NATO and the 38/357. the .22 rimfire is a good hunting survival selection but i would not choose one if i believed i may engage in SD/Combat, given the opportunity to select.

as i see it...if the "invasion" from a foriegn power (a-la "red dawn") ever takes place, there ain't a lot a single or a few individuals banded together are gonna be able to do.

if a "survivalist" ever has to face a trained, well equipped military assault force the only real option is to die standing on their feet. the free french undergound, the jewish resistance fighters of the warsaw ghetto and stalingrad proved that. in the end, the allies provided the knock out blows to the axis powers by way of massive air strikes, massive invasion forces, etc, not the FF or the resistance fighters. they did, in fact aid the allies, but they paid an awful price in the end. they were equipped and trained with arms and munitions from the allies, too.

you have a chance against LEO in a "end times" last stand. they're ususally well equipped and well trained but lack something somewhere. they normally rely on overwhelming an opponent with brute force and are usually very limited in number.

you have a much better chance against the "Mad Max" roving gangs of thugs than any of them. they're ususally loosely organized at best, poorly trained and disciplined and equipped with whatever weaponry they can scrounge.

in any event...it will be easier to feed 9mm auto and 12 ga shotgun than the 416 rigby, 340 weatherby, 375 H&H, 600 nitro express or .41 rimfire, etc in a scenerio such as we're talking of simply due to avaliability...how many military or LEO units are equipped with 505 gibbs? how many military/LEO are equipped with 9x19mm, 5.56 NATO and 12 ga. shot gun? almost every one of them... and... i'd bet my bottom dollar they would be glad to share ammo with you in a "red dawn" scenerio.

in the end...the 8mm06, 35 whelan, 22-303, 45-90, 25-20 win, 218 bee and such are fine cartridges and have their use and place but i would not want to have to find the ammo for one while "on the run".

JMOFWIW... :)
Last edited by donw on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

donw wrote: i prefer firearms, for "what if/grab and run/survive/doomsday" scenerios, that are of the caliber most available from law enforcment and military sources as well as from your local wal-mart or tru-value hardware: .45 ACP, 9x19MM, 12 ga. (slugs included), .223/5.56 NATO and the 38/357.
Agreed. This is why I have sought to have at least one firearm in the "common" calibers used by LEO's and militaries of various nations. It will make it much easier to scrounge and feed than looking for something exotic, though making our own is certainly feasible for reloaders with a bit of ingenuity. :wink:

Let's see...

Muzzleloaders: Traditions Hawken .50 caliber and Centennial 1860 Army "Colt" .44 caliber (Of course, my new ROA in .45 may have to replace the latter! :wink: )

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump. I'm not a big shotgunner (yet), so not a lot to choose from.

Rimfire: Ruger 10/22T and Ruger Mark II, both .22 LR.

Centerfire high-caliber: Springfield M1A (.308) and EA CAR-15 (.223)

Centerfire pistol-caliber: Rossi Puma 92 and S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum.

That would about cover hunting, target shooting, self-defense, etc. Just off the top of my head - I'm sure I'd change this up a hundred times if I tried!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't get too worked up about invasions, (other than worrying about those crafty Canadians, I still think they're eyeing out nice warm country for themselves!!!!), or the .guv, maybe living in way rural country has something to do with my outlook. My outlook has to do with day to day living,...working guns. Even in event of a depression or influenza pandemic, life would still go on day to day, and without zombie hordes or widespread mayhem in rural areas.

My short list would include a Marlin 39, Winchester 94, Browning 86, 1903 Springfield sporter, Mauser .338 sporter, a Ruger SA in 44 or 45, Smith K-22, Smith 29, and maybe, a Smith 19.

If the list was longer, I'd have a scoped bolt .22, another 94 carbine or rifle, and maybe a lighter cal bolt gun, like a .260, for the (speculative) future Mrs Malamute. A spare Ruger SA in similar cal as the first, and maybe a Ruger .22 SA for spare. A Navy or Army Colts percusion pistol would be a fair backup game getter, house gun, and fun gun also. A bolt .223 would probably be a good idea, since ammo is fairly easy to come by, and would do as a meat gun in a pinch if supplies were tight.

I still don't get the shotgun thing,......Guess I've been in open country for too long. :D

Guess I don't get the EBR thing much either. I had a couple years ago, and was able to hit running rabbits with them, but they just arent that great as working guns. I reckon as I can hit running rabbits with a sixgun or rifle, they should fill in as a protection gun,.....

Rural. Very rural.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

muzzleloader: T/C Encore 50 cal
Rimfire: Ruger 10/22
long range rifle: Remington 700 Classic 8mm Mag
brush buster big game gun: Marlin 95 45-70
gotta have: Winnie 94 30-30 made in 2006
rimfire pistol: Ruger 22/45
centerfire hunting pistol: Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull
scattergun: My Remington 870 with Speed feed stock, mag extension, and it's extra slug barrel.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

OK bare minimum
- Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 Cal Flint
- Danish Re-build M1 Garand
- Ruger M77 7x57 Mauser
- MY H&R sb2 with the following fitted and numbered barrels
223; 30-30; 30-06; 45-70 and 12 ga 3.5 in
- J.P. Stevens Mod 502 SXS 16 ga,
- Savage 111 laminated stock , 338 Win .
- Kimber 1911 Compact Carry ultra 45acp
- Ruger Bisley BH 45 Colt
- Ruger BH 357 mag
- Marlin 1895 ( 1972 model ) 45-70 Gov.
That is ABSOLUTELY BARE MINIMUM
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

malamute, beautiful area you have pictured there. One of the reasons this topic interest me is seen in your comments on shotguns. Funny how one gun owner can't think of being without a shotgun while another has no need. Goes to show that legislation aimed at one particular area of gun control, can't be ignored by any of us, we must stand united as one against all form of freedom censorship with regards to firearms.

bluehawk, that is some list of bare essentials. lol :D
Mike Johnson,

MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Hmmm...
A bolt action 30-06, probably a sporterized Springfield
03-A3
Bushmaster Varminter in .223
1911 or two in 45 ACP
pair of Ruger SA in 45 Colt
10-22
Marlin 22 LR Texan
Ruger SA 22LR flatgate
semi-auto 22LR pistol
Marlin 45-70 lever action
M1 Garand
M14
S&W 686 357 magnum
a dozen Remington 510 single shots to pass on to my someday grandkids
M4 carbine
SxS 20 ga
Remington 1187 12 ga
AR10 type in 260 Remington
Remington 700 in 22-250
a brace of 36 or 44 percussion revolvers

So I'm greedy :D
I am American
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mistwolf, i have the perfect pair of percussion pistols in .44 listed on the classified section. :twisted:
Mike Johnson,

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This may change as I get more enlightened:

Ruger Single Six in my bug out pack, 500 rounds of ammo. With this gun, I know I can eat no matter what.
Winchester 356 with about 200-300 rounds
Stevens SXS 12 Gauge for my wife to persuade others with while I am not in camp. Even if one pin/spring breaks, the other barrel will work.
Marlin 39A with all the extra ammo my sons can carry.
Ruger Flat Top in 44 Mag. on my person. It carries nice and has a big hole on the other end for whatever I encounter

A Bible, matches, harmonica and a couple of good stout knives. :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

c. cash, you sound pretty enlightened to me. :D
Mike Johnson,

Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

This was less hard for me than some of you, I guess, since the below eight firearms represents over half my collection. But like many of you, I've considered this question before and here's where I landed......

CCW : CF SA Pistol : Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 (Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok JHP)

Kit : CF DA Revolver : S&W M36-1 3” RB .38 (1 CCI #9 Shotshell + 4 BufBore .38 #20C 158gr SWC-HC)

SG : RF DA Revolver : S&W M17-6 6” .22LR (Win 40 gr. Super-X Power-Point)
SG : RF LA Carbine : Winchester M9422 HG .22LR (Win 40 gr. Super-X Power-Point)

MG : CF DA Revolver : S&W M586 6” .357 (BufBore .357 #19A 180gr HC-LFN)
MG : CF LA Carbine : Winchester M94 XTR .30-30 (Rem .30-30 125gr)

SG/MG : CF LA Carbine : Marlin 1894C .38/.357 (SG: BufBore .38 #20D 150gr WC; MG: BufBore .357 #19C 158gr JHC)
SG/MG : PA Shotgun : Winchester M12 Skeet 26” 12G (SG: Win 1-1/4oz Super-X #6; MG: Win Super-X 00/12-Pellet Buck)

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

My bare minimum to get by for what I currently do is...

My Benelli Super 90 12 GA.- Have to have this gun. If I were to be sent through a Black Hole in space not knowing where I am headed this is the gun I want with me. I can easily survive with just this 1 gun, and my Fly Rod of course! Throw in my Model 64A in 30-30, and I am set for everything I do here at Home. Don't need anything else. Please DO NOT tell my wife what I just said!
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I'd like to go lightweight!

For big game...Marlin 308mx, with 300 rds of ammo!

For small game and varmits... Marlin bolt, 4x16 scope, .22 Mag with 500 rounds of ammo.

Personal defense and all around... Kimber 1911, with 8 clips and 500 rds of ammo.

For all around and because most police forces use the caliber...Springfield Aromry XD 40 S&W. Plenty ammo available. Carry 300 rounds.

If in survival situation, I wouldn't need a muzzleloader or a shotgun and could be very well armed and able to support myself!

Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

This isn't too hard:

12 ga shotgun (I prefer a SxS of decent quality bored SK and Sk or open IC and modified. You can keep the howitzers that some call shotguns.)
.22 bolt rifle w/ good scope
.45 Colt levergun w/ peep sights
.45 Colt Ruger BH
.22 revolver, probably a stainless small frame DA (This is optional. It's nice to have a .22 revolver, but it certainly can be left off).

That pretty much handles it, since I live in the woods and a center-fire bolt gun is not needed. I would add a .270 wcf bolt gun to the above otherwise. Nothing in the above list would just sit in the safe. there's no need stacking firearms up just for the sake of owning more and more. Spend the extra money on boolits and other components, and shoot the heck out of what you have.
Someday I hope to get a gun from the above list. I bet it's nice to own a gun of some sort.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:malamute, beautiful area you have pictured there. One of the reasons this topic interest me is seen in your comments on shotguns. Funny how one gun owner can't think of being without a shotgun while another has no need. Goes to show that legislation aimed at one particular area of gun control, can't be ignored by any of us, we must stand united as one against all form of freedom censorship with regards to firearms.
bluehawk, that is some list of bare essentials. lol :D
AMEN
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Winchester 94/22 .22LR for small game
Merkel 280 28ga (with set of Briley .410 inserts) for all bird hunting
Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited .44Mag for general duty/deer/hog/predator purposes (or one of my .30-30's)
Winchester 1895 .405WCF for more serious work
Clements Custom Ruger Bisley 4 5/8" .44Mag
Ruger Old Model Single Six .22LR
Kimber Ultra Carry .45ACP for concealed carry
I 'need' my muzzleloader too, a Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54cal. All I hunted with last year.

I have to also throw in the 10/22 I'm finishing up on. It's pretty much purpose built for handling midnight marauders of the four legged kind. It's also the only one that wears a scope.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Haycock wrote:This was less hard for me than some of you, I guess, since the below eight firearms represents over half my collection. But like many of you, I've considered this question before and here's where I landed......

Kit : CF DA Revolver : S&W M36-1 3” RB .38 (1 CCI #9 Shotshell + 4 BufBore .38 #20C 158gr SWC-HC)

SG : RF DA Revolver : S&W M17-6 6” .22LR (Win 40 gr. Super-X Power-Point)

SG/MG : CF LA Carbine : Marlin 1894C .38/.357 (SG: BufBore .38 #20D 150gr WC; MG: BufBore .357 #19C 158gr JHC)
SG/MG : PA Shotgun : Winchester M12 Skeet 26” 12G (SG: Win 1-1/4oz Super-X #6; MG: Win Super-X 00/12-Pellet Buck)

Haycock
I have given this more thought, and realized that my response did NOT answer the question posed. I think the tightest possible set I could trim down to is really:

This eliminates the redundant entries in my first post (9422 & 17-6, etc.), and though it would be hard to part with the guns that didn't make the final cut this really represents the minimum needed to cover the basics where I am.

Hard to get it down to the minimum when you're so attached to all the others...... not that anyone else who posted had that problem too... :wink:

If it had to be just one :o :o :o ......

Winchester M12, no doubts.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

For home defense, IDPA, plinking, and hunting:
All revolvers are S&W; all Levers are Winchester M94s, or NKJ tuned EMF M92s.

Two each: good M92s (16" or 20") in .357, tuned J frames (.38/ .357), and blued eight shot 3 1/2" M27-8s with a hundred or two moonclips.
A blued 4" M21 or M24 .44 Special, and my NKJ EMF M92 in .44 Special.
A .356 M94, scout scoped and with a Williams FP.
A Trapper 30-30, Williams FP.
My Liebenberg built 5" S&W 5906.
Two Baer SRP 1911/45s, no serrations on the front of the slide.
A .40 Hi Power.
A good 16" AR type, with good optics.
My tuned 18" Garand.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt