Dumb (?) rechambering question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Dumb (?) rechambering question

Post by Arminius »

:?:

Is it possible or difficult ( or recommended ) to convert a .44 magnum LA or Sixgun to .44-40?

Of course for .429 to .430 bullets!

What are the problems?

( without regards to cost and a weaker, more expensive cartridge )

???

Reason 1 for asking is, I want a ( "special" ) LA in .44-40, and eventually Rossi won´t make them any more.

Reason 2 is I already have .44-40 LA´s, and perhaps a sixgun with two cylinders, one in .44 Mag ( or .44 Spec?!? ) and the second one in .44-40 might be a good companion.

Thanks, Hermann

P.S.: what are YOUR experiences with case lock back in the .44-40, or other tapered rounds?
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Dumb (?) rechambering question

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

It's very easy to do, and doesn't even require a reamer. There is so little difference between the cartridges at the base that the typical .44 magnum only needs a little polishing at the base to allow a .44-40 to chamber. The remainder of the chamber is already larger that the .44-40 chamber due to the significantly greater case wall thickness of the .44 Magnum. It works, but all-in-all not a very practical endeavor. What you will end up is a sloppy chamber that is really hard on the brass which isn't renowned for longevity to begin with. With a lever gun you may run into issues with the bolt face, but probably not.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I knew you could (can?) get .44S cylinders for the .44-40 Uberti's from VTI but never though about using .44-40 in one of my .44M rifles...I guess I'd better follow this thread! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I read an article where a guy wanted a 44-40 revolver..He wound up punching out a .357 cylinder he ordered up to make the conversion...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY