After market sights for Puma 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

After market sights for Puma 92

Post by salvo »

I remember quite a few posts about this on the old forum :?
Show & tell what you got please. I need to upgrade the sights on my 20" .357 and not sure the best way to go.

Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

I do much better with aperture sights. My preference is a Marbles tang sight.
Unreconstructed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Williams Foolproof FP-94/36 or Lyman 66LA. Yes you have to D&T but it is a joy to shoot.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

I put a Marble's tang sight on my 16" 357 and really like it. I have Lyman 66's on my other levers and like those too. This tang sight was a first for me and I think in the future it's the way I would prefer to go.
Bob
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

salvo -

My Puma 92 in .45 Colt started life as this:

But after Steve Young worked his magic, now looks like this:

(Yes, that's me teetering on the edge of the kitchen island again! :roll: ) It is so much nicer!!! :D Alas though, the factory sites remain. I'm interesting in the replies you get to this post - great topic!!! 8)
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Scott,

This looks like a neat setup. A threaded aperture is available for the XS that will take Williams inserts or a Merit adjustable aperture.

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hobie wrote:Williams Foolproof FP-94/36 or Lyman 66LA. Yes you have to D&T but it is a joy to shoot.
+1
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks for the tips!
Ysabel Kid, that looks great, I bought the 20" from big 5 on sale with the intension of turning it into a trapper, just have not done it yet, the 20" barrel is starting to grow on me.

The FP or Lymans was my first thought but the Marbles tang might be worth a try. The XS sight would also make a very clean setup I was hoping someone saved that picture, thanks Bruce, I think that may be the way I might go.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

One more question, I have read that the rear dove tail is oversized what are you guys using for a filler?
Guess I could cut and shape the old sight and use it as a filler.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Yes the Rossi dove tails (in blued guns ) is over American standard. I call it a metric beast.
The easiest/cheapest fix is this. All of the open sites are on a spring leaf rivited to the dovetail male base. Drill out the rivit. Locate the preferred sight, cut off as close to the base as possible and trim. Drill a new rivit hole and attach preferred sight to original base. Reinstall.
If this isn't clear enough ask. I'll be around.
Pepe Ray
P.S. This problem does not occur in the stainless guns w/fire sights.
Jesus is the way.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have the Williams FP with a Merit adjustable aperature on the rear and a .385 x .050 Skinner blade.

Shoots like this:

5 shots, 50 yds.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: After market sights for Puma 92

Post by Griff »

salvo wrote:I remember quite a few posts about this on the old forum :?
Show & tell what you got please. I need to upgrade the sights on my 20" .357 and not sure the best way to go.
My recommendation would be meaningless unless your anticipated use for the gun were known. Huntin', CAS, plinkin', or ?? could all use the same, but there are specialty sights that are more suited to one activity vs. others. And in the CAS game some are agin the rules.

With that outta the way, I feel (strictly opinion) the below are among the best "all-around" sight you can have:

traditional Winchester post front sight

paired with the 3/4 buckhorn rear sight

They are accurate enough for targets, tho' there are better choices for that job alone. They are legal for CAS, tho' some other designs are preferred by some. They are adequate for hunting, tho' others may be more suited to your shooting/aiming style. And in some lighting conditions they are not the best.

My recommendation is to carry yourself down to a shop with a good selection of rifles with a variety of sights and look across 'em. Barring that, get some buddiies together that have different styles on their rifles an' try 'em out.

Most folks are gonna recommend what they selected, and for them, that's likely "THE BEST." But may not be for you. And, if my own experience is of any consequence, I have different sights on different rifles depending on its most common usage. Some are there thru experimentin', others are there 'cause I lucked into a rifle with "right" combo on the gun, such as the Trapper above! 8)

Good luck w/your search. You're welcome to try any of mine if ya come ta Texas! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

salvo,

Like Hobie and Ted I had my Rossi 92 D&T'd and installed a Williams FP on it. Then I had the original barrel band w/ sight replaced with one w/out a sight and a shallow dovetail cut in the barrel. The front sight I used was one like Griff shows in his picture. Worked really good for me.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete - kind of neat seeing something that sat on my desk sitting on your B92 - good shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OS - I tole ya I'd put it ta good use. ;)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That does look good Pete!
Got any more OS? :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

salvo wrote:That does look good Pete!
Got any more OS? :D
Jeff's Outfitters do. A very nice copy for well under the price of the Marble's or the Lyman. Boy, bouncy roads make typin' and editin' hard! :lol: :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks for the link Griff, that is a heck of a deal.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

tomclink and Hobie both said it for me. FP or Marbles

ysabel,

did I miss a thread on your .45 Colt? What's the chance of hearing about it? I really like that.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

Bruce Scott wrote:Scott,

This looks like a neat setup. A threaded aperture is available for the XS that will take Williams inserts or a Merit adjustable aperture.

Bruce, did you use the same front sight with that Ashley rear?

thanks, Al