OT Browning model 42 shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

OT Browning model 42 shotgun

Post by barbarossa »

Hi
I have a chance to pick up a Browning model 42 Hi grade 410.Does anyone have any experience with this little shottie.My main use will be for bunny busting
Hobie

Re: OT Browning model 42 shotgun

Post by Hobie »

I think the .410 bore is a wonderful bunny buster cartridge and the Winchester 42 OR the Browning "repro" are the ultimate in .410 bore guns. I shoot a double in every other shotgun bore but not the .410...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned both a Grade I and a Hi-Grade, at different times - and they were both excellent guns, although I preferred the smoother lines of the Grade I, myself.

I've always thought it was a shame that some enterprising gun designer couldn't clone one of those sleek beauties into a .32-20 rifle, or somesuch.

With either grade though, be careful not to gouge the receiver when taking them down. i.e.twisting the barrel/mag tube the quarter-turn to unlock the barrel from the receiver.
It's easy to get a little careless, about the position of the slide handle - and then it's too late.

Be sure you get an owner's manual for it, and read about the takedown - free from Browning, if there's none with the gun.
A5Mag12
Levergunner

Post by A5Mag12 »

I have one with Briley choke tubes installed in it. Maybe the most pleasurable gun to shoot I own. It sure is nice in the dove field.

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ve just talked to the seller and it s going to be mine.It s new in the box though that will change real quick once I get my hands on it.I m starting on my list of guns I need to get
before I retire and this one was near the top of my list, it will be the woods this fall.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Congratulations!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, one of the finest .410s ever designed. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome. well done. may you enjoy it for many years to come.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
A5Mag12
Levergunner

Post by A5Mag12 »

You will love that gun. I also have the sister 20 and 28 gauge Model-12's and they are all a pleasure to shoot.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If it is anything like my Grandads Winchester 42, it will be a sweet gun. Used it for rabbits and squirrels in my youth. He used to shoot quail with it.

My Sister got it when he died :( and she hates guns, but liked it, so she got it. Never been shot since
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

That is why I sometimes like the OT. I didn't even know that browning ever made copies of the Win 42. Pricewise, how do they compare to the winchester? I haven't been able to afford the 42 though I do own a couple of early 12's.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The Browning 42s can be a bit pricy as well, especially a NIB Hi grade version such as I m buying.A good used standard grade should run around $600 - $1000 depending on condition.