Heller vs, DC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
woodsoup
Levergunner

Heller vs, DC

Post by woodsoup »

Today is the decision day.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/
.....it's all just stuff.
Jay Bird

Re: Heller vs, DC

Post by Jay Bird »

We WON!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can relax now. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun jr wrote:We WON!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can relax now. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Ummmm not really.

The following leaves us completely open to an outright AWB:

“The term was applied, then as now, to weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity.”

“Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.”

“Thus, we do not read the Second Amendment to protect the right of citizens to carry arms for any sort of confrontation, just as we do not read the First Amendment to protect the right of citizens to speak for any purpose.”

The above means "confrontations with/against the Government... where EBRs might be useful".

The Screw is still turning. And it will start turning harder & faster for EBRs now.

The following also indicates the Court's willingness to accept and support Gun Registration:

“In sum, we hold that the District’s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense. Assuming that Heller is not disqualified from the exercise of Second Amendment rights, the District must permit him to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home.”

Again, Government Permission required to exercise a Right. Not good.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Brady Bunch is already on the news declaring victory.... snatch the momentum while they can. Look for their increased emphasis on restrictions and hoops to jump thru, but I think they really see the writing in regards to bans.

I think some folks in places like NYC, NJ, Elk Grove Village and their ilk need to get geared up to get their fight underway.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Griff wrote:The Brady Bunch is already on the news declaring victory.... snatch the momentum while they can. Look for their increased emphasis on restrictions and hoops to jump thru, but I think they really see the writing in regards to bans.

I think some folks in places like NYC, NJ, Elk Grove Village and their ilk need to get geared up to get their fight underway.

Ya know, this decision really only determined that the 2nd is in fact an individual right, and demolished the anti's specious argument that it was a collective right.

However, I think this has stirred the hornet's nest. I expect many, many new attempts at legislation aiming to restrict not the 'keeping and bearing' of arms (in the home) but everywhere else, and all materials associated to be taxed, registered, restricted, licensed, etc. etc. Basically making the exercise of the right to arms improbable, even impossible.

Time to 'gird your loins' and prepare for political battles concerning 'reasonable', ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

-Tristan
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The language about military-design/use weapons actually goes back to the Miller decision, which said that the Second Amendment covered ONLY guns designed for military use -- thus the defendant's sawed-off shotgun was illegal, as it was not of a type typically thought of as a military weapon So, what the majority has done today is expand this definition to include ALL types of guns, and not only those "suitable" for "militia" use.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Reading a lot of the "pull-quotes" from the majority opinion gives me a lot of hope. Not only a solid affirmation, but a rebuke to the four idiots who voted against the majority - in some cases, by name!

The majority opinion is some 177 pages long, so it will be a while before I can read the whole thing. I'm sure there are parts we won't like, but bottom-line, we live to fight another day due to the decision today!!! :D