The problem with Leverguns.com

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

The problem with Leverguns.com

Post by gon2shoot »

is, there is way too much knowledge here to let go to waste.
I understand that in a election year, and with the tension about our rights keeping everyone uptight, we tend to focus on these things.
We have lost some good folks over things that would have been laughed off at other times, the truth is, EVERYONE is tense over the current status of things.

Heres my point..... I keep seeing on other forums that guys seeking answers to gun problems keep finding answers on "Leverguns".
I am neither a charter member, nor an esteemed guest, just a guy who has put hundedreds of thousands of rounds through a barrel in the last 50 years or so.
I'm not a computer guy ( I own a $840 hearts game) But, I found this site looking for 45 colt stuff and joined about a year later.

Guess what I'm saying is, I hate to see this site go downhill like it's been doing. I rate Paco and some of the shootist in the Elmer Kieth range ( I've been paying attention for 40 years). There is not a poster here that I can't learn from unless their intent is simply to stir the pot.
I want to thank Hobi and Ambracol and encourage them buy reminding that there are a lot more folks looking at this site than those that post.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: The problem with Leverguns.com

Post by AmBraCol »

Well, each and everyone who does their best to abide by the board rules and behave in a civilized manner is "an esteemed guest". And that goes for the tons of lurkers who may never post a thing. In one way or another we're all part of the leverguns.com community. And a great place to hang one's "@" it is indeed...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

As much as it may pain us, even from those with whom we have individually had major philosophical disagreements, the "fault" lies only with those who have, of their own accord, left.

No one has been run off. No one has been told to "never come back". Many (most?) of those who have taken the decision to leave have done so for personal reasons &/or their own personal inability/unwillingness to address the issues being addressed on the forum.

Were we to become so PC that no one would be offended, then this would not be the kind of forum where there is "too much information to go to waste".

Sad, but true.

Momma always said "Sticks and Stones...(etc)".

Montaigne said: "All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by the way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed."

Unfortunately, IMO those who have "left" have failed to heed those words of wisdom.

Agree or disagree, Men should be able to Discourse - not go away in an offended huff.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AmBraCol and I just try to do as Paco would do, if he had the time. (He's making a .22 tool for me :wink: and taking care of Barbara, both good things.) We do express our opinions but we try not to force others to that. I do try to keep it clean for the kids and wives. I know I don't want my wife reading a bunch of obscenities, she wouldn't think much of me if I hung out in such a place. We have several ladies on the board and a couple of young people. They should enjoy their time here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:AmBraCol and I just try to do as Paco would do, if he had the time. (He's making a .22 tool for me :wink: and taking care of Barbara, both good things.) We do express our opinions but we try not to force others to that. I do try to keep it clean for the kids and wives. I know I don't want my wife reading a bunch of obscenities, she wouldn't think much of me if I hung out in such a place. We have several ladies on the board and a couple of young people. They should enjoy their time here.
Hobie did quite a stint in the military. I worked on a harvest crew and in a factory or three. Neither of us are unfamiliar with profanity - but as the description says "This is a highclass, so act respectable..." and profanity doesn't fit in with the description. I didn't realize Hobie was sanitizing - personally I favor nuking. If someone can't express themselves without the use of profanity then they aren't worth listening too. So if folks find a missing post, perhaps they'll rethink their way of phrasing things. We are, after all, guests in another man's living room, so to speak. And it behooves us to "act respectable" - whether we really are or not... :wink: :?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Paul, is right!
Police yourself
No one wants to see that stuff on thier monitor
1 hour at a mall will give you a months fill of that stuff
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

mescalero1 wrote:Paul, is right!
Police yourself
No one wants to see that stuff on thier monitor
1 hour at a mall will give you a months fill of that stuff

Sorry if I did'nt make myself clear.
Im talking about the respect that Leverguns has as a knowledgeable site, and the loss of good folks over "non gun topics".
Foul language is no brainer.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sorrry, gontoshoot;
did not mean to preach
Jarhead has not been here for a while,
and..........................
I miss him
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gon2shoot, I agree, I like to learn as much as I can. I read the Marlin questions most, as I don't know about them the way I know my way around a 94 Winch. I also like to learn about some of the more esoteric leverguns, ones that I've heard about, may even have seen, but am really clueless as to how they operate and shoot. I think we haven't lost as many as it may appear, some are just lurkin' and will be back in time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Griff wrote:gon2shoot, I agree, I like to learn as much as I can. I read the Marlin questions most, as I don't know about them the way I know my way around a 94 Winch. I also like to learn about some of the more esoteric leverguns, ones that I've heard about, may even have seen, but am really clueless as to how they operate and shoot. I think we haven't lost as many as it may appear, some are just lurkin' and will be back in time.
I know, just as I have done. But I have never been a prolific poster, but I enjoy the wisdom of others.
Griff I shoot a couple Marlins (or 8/9) stop by Aledo some time an I let you get aquainted.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

mescalero1 wrote:Sorrry, gontoshoot;
did not mean to preach
Jarhead has not been here for a while,
and..........................
I miss him

I can deal with preachin, spent several years in the pulpit myself. If ya got a good message put it out htere :D
Where did you land In NM. ?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

30 miles south of Cloudcroft
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Dont know a whole lot of folks there since my people are from Farmington or Tyrone, but I know quite a few runnin horse people over there, let me know if I can help you get in debt. :D :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks, but no thanks; I have managed to avoid that condition for most of my years.
But it feels good to be out of the grind.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I concur with gon2shoot, but would like to remind all of a quote shown to me the first time by a Son Tay Raider who I have worked with for a long time:
It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
Political Correctness is a coward's way of not taking a stand.
It is not the critic who counts
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't see anything wrong with this site. No symptoms in my view of any sort of decline in either quality of subject matter, member civility, or contributor morality.

Even diamonds have flaws, and they usually ain't hard to see if that's what you're lookin' for.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

mescalero1 wrote:30 miles south of Cloudcroft
You are lucky, Cloudcroft is very nice compared to the high plains. You must be fairly close to the ress.

Anyway, I am kinda in the same boat as Griff. I like leverguns.com because most folks talk about my favorite things; Leverguns. My family have always been ranchers and horseman and have had winchesters since the area was inhabitted. You would think that I would know everything I want to know about them but since I have been a member of this board, I have learned a great deal more. I really enjoy the marlin posts simply because I never had one. Through this forum, I have learned to take one apart, simply fixes that might occur, and many other things about them for the off chance that I will be able to afford one.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mescalero1 wrote:30 miles south of Cloudcroft
Timberon?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes, you must be familiar with the area, spent most of my young life on the res
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am familiar with the eastern part of the state, spent 3 years working for Bell Helicopter in Amarillo, used to go to Clovis to party.
Had to drive out of Potter County if you wanted beer on sunday, and we always did.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If someone can't express themselves without the use of profanity then they aren't worth listening too.
State your case, Sir, but generally, such broad strokes are not accurate. Untold God-sent profane Generals and salty Admirals come to mind :mrgreen: We owe our, ahem, er....Butts to such fellows and their equally bad mouthed charges :mrgreen:

If some spouses are offended by the sight of butchered or shot meat, are we to stop that as well? It seems that even here, the world now belongs to the PC and I do not approve.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:
If someone can't express themselves without the use of profanity then they aren't worth listening too.
State your case, Sir, but generally, such broad strokes are not accurate. Untold God-sent profane Generals and salty Admirals come to mind :mrgreen: We owe our, ahem, er....Butts to such fellows and their equally bad mouthed charges :mrgreen:

If some spouses are offended by the sight of butchered or shot meat, are we to stop that as well? It seems that even here, the world now belongs to the PC and I do not approve.

They needed to take some lessons from my grandmother. She could "instruct" better than any foul mouth general or drill instructor and never stray from proper language. The use of profanity tends to show a lack of creativity and accuracy of thought and an inability to clearly define what one wishes to convey. Yes, there have been a lot of folks who use profanity and have managed to do some impressive stuff - but someone who uses the language properly with equal authority will generally obtain even better results. Merely substituting synonyms for common curse words shows the lack of grasp of the proper use of language by the one who uses them. For example, the frequent use of a synonym for copulation shows that the person has NO idea what they are saying. It's a strange world where even inanimate objects apparently have a built in sex drive. I maintain my position that a bit of thought prior to engaging one's mouth would provide a more harmonious and valuable contribution to communication than merely blasting forth an extended stream of references to physically impossible and statistically improbable acts and occurrences.

As for photos, those related to the proper usage of firearms are always welcome, including those of the results of the hunt. The board is not "PC", it is polite - or should be - and that is what we will continue to insist on.
Paul - in Pereira

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

LA de DA...

:roll:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Feel better, Paul? You've taken the example to an extreme. Much lesser transgressions have been deleted; ones that even a preacher would not generally flinch at. I follow the rules as well as anyone. Since when does a polite and well worded opinion deserve a sharp rebuke? Wait...I know: when it disagrees with you :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:Feel better, Paul? You've taken the example to an extreme. Much lesser transgressions have been deleted; ones that even a preacher would not generally flinch at. I follow the rules as well as anyone. Since when does a polite and well worded opinion deserve a sharp rebuke? Wait...I know: when it disagrees with you :lol:
Rebuke? Not at all. Merely expressing an opinion. If it was taken as a rebuke - well that was not how it was intended. PM's and e-mail are better channels for rebukes. And so far I don't recall sending one your way - or Fweidner's either. The board for the most part self polices. The "regulars" are the ones who rarely need an admonition. With a constant influx of new folks we need to let folks know what is, and isn't, acceptable. And as much as we try to be even handed, we're human and fallible. I've never deleted a post for disagreeing with me or an opinion I hold - as long as it follows the board rules.
Paul - in Pereira

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The members of this forum have shown time and time again they're gentlemen of the highest level. I can't praise them enough for their form and etiquette. I've belonged and still belong to a number of forums, but this is the one I check multiple times in a day.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:The members of this forum have shown time and time again they're gentlemen of the highest level. I can't praise them enough for their form and etiquette. I've belonged and still belong to a number of forums, but this is the one I check multiple times in a day.
Indeed.......I agree....So why the one size fits all lecture? Just sayin'........Maybe I'm just prickly today......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:..Maybe I'm just prickly today......

BINGO!
Paul - in Pereira

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AmBraCol wrote:
BlaineG wrote:..Maybe I'm just prickly today......

BINGO!

I'll pray for you Brother.......Let my people go :mrgreen:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV