Firestorm of controversy,...30WCF vs 32 Win Spl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Firestorm of controversy,...30WCF vs 32 Win Spl

Post by jd45 »

O.S.O.K., just curious as to why the guy who's shooting the M-16 with the red-dot sight on it is wearing an NVA pith helmet? (grin) jd45
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I couldn't decide, so I had a custom gun built chambered for the new wildcat, the .31-31 It's designed to fill the gap between the 30-30, and the .32spl.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, the 31-31, could be the new 280.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

If the .32 W.S. had been introduced in 1895, and the .30-30 W.C.F. in 1902 (as the .32 W.S. was), it would be the .30-30 W.C.F. that would would be close to obsolete today. As it was, the .30-30 W.C.F. had a 7 year head start and glowing performances were written about it in the early years.

In addition, Winchester made it a dual purpose round by offering a .30-30 W.C.F. "Short Range" cartridge (.30-6-100) "For small game where the more powerful cartridge is not necessary". Why they did not for the .32 W.S. is a mystery to me.

Today, a game animal taken with either could not tell the difference.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Big K,

Thank you for the update. Sure glad to hear that the bullet did not hit any vital organs and that you are still with us.

Several years ago, a local fellow was accidentally shot with a 7MM magnum :shock: . Fortunately, no vital orans were hit and he eventually recovered.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Big K wrote:To make a long story short, I was caught in the line of fire beyond where a hunter was taking a shot at a running red fox (legal at the time)...The slug hit me low in the chest, coursed through the edge of my right lung and stopped in the back of my rib cage..Spun me right around and felt like someone kicked me in the chest...They cut me open from under my right armpit to the middle of my chest, as well as cutting two drain holes low in my side where they inserted two plastic tubes which led to a jug along side my bed.Lucky I had about six inches of clothing on that day(Freezing weather)..They found the bullets jacket in my long underwear later and gave me the remainder of the slug from my body in a test tube...It was covered with threads from the fabrics of everything I wore that day .....I still have those clothes with the bullet hole in them...The tee-shirt is perhaps the most graphic...I can't even stand to look at it!...Way too close of a call...The rifle was a pre-64 Model 94 in 32 Special.....I almost loaned the guy my 270 that day.

As far as safety, it's not always possible to see what's beyond your target in a wooded area.I've never held a grudge against the guy and we are still friends even though I seldom see him.Besides, he probably still lives with this.
Thanks for sharing that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Glad you survived that.

I recall reading that a Doctor (I believe in Wyoming) wrote that he had treated a fair number of gunshot wounds with the new 30 cal Winchester 1894 round within a couple years of it coming out. Apparently it wasn't instantly fatal in all cases either.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My own preference is for the 32-40 first followed closely by the 25-36 Marlin ! Then comes the 32 Special , followed by the 38-55 and lastly the 30-30 !

Now if you looked at it from another way . I own exactly one 32-40 , one 25-36 , two 38-55's , three 32 Specials and ten 30-30's .

So that oughta tell you even though I rank the 30-30 last in preference I still like it well enough or I wouldn't own 10 of them !

What I really really NEED is a nice Marlin 336 in 7-30 Waters . That one would fit right in between the 32-40 and 25-36 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Always wanted a 32 Spl. 30-30 isn't my favorite but curiously I have had more 30-30s than any other caliber and ---- no 32 Spls.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

What's a 30-30?

:wink:
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Grew up with a 32 spcl. in the '50s and '60s. Thought it was great at the time, but my Dad took it back. Bought a 30/30 because the ammo was easier to find and cheaper. Funny the deer, antelope and a cow elk never knew the difference. I always took a lot of grief from the '06 guys with either one. Wish I had the 32, but love my 30/30's.

Truth be known, I really think the .307 is best. . . . . :mrgreen: :lol:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don't forget the .356...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...