OT: Contender shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Contender shooters

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Any one have the 9mm luger barrel with .357 groove dianeter. How is the accuracy? Hobie where do you get the Choate barrel extensions? cant find 'em in Midway catalog
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Re: OT: Contender shooters

Post by Hobie »

Sad to say that Choate discontinued the product (barrel extensions) about 3-4 years ago. I got the last 3. I have one left, just in case I find that special 14" barrel chambered for a cartridge I just have to use as a carbine. :roll:

They are pretty easy to make. They are a cylinder of steel with three hole diameters. One is .815" to slip over the bull barrel 14". The next is something less but larger than the bullet diameter. In that are cut the flash suppressor ports (one could do recoil reduction ports or nothing). The third is the diameter of the hole between the forward and aft portion of the device. THEN a slot is cut in the .815" bored end to clear the issue sight ramp and a heavily chamfered/countersunk hole opposite that (bottom) in which the attachment weld is done. They must be welded to the barrel. Epoxy, brazing, silver solder, etc are not "permanent" attachments according to the ATF.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I didn't realize anyone had made one specifically for the Contender. I added on to a couple of Super 14" so I could use them as a carbine. After blueing, you couldn't tell, except from the muzzle, that they were altered. My extensions were unported as I don't care for the extra noise. I did a .44 Mag and a .218 Bee and they worked out quite well. This is a very simple project that any gunsmith with a lathe and welding ability should be able to do. I suspect it would be cheaper to buy or swap for the right carbine barrel though.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Try here:

http://www.mygunroom.com/dvgunshop
The opening home page has pix's of some Custom Contenders, mine is the second from the top. It is a Harry Lawson thumb-hole left hand. The barrel is a .270 Ingram, a 223/270 with a 40 deg. shoulder. I shoot Sierra 90 gr. hollow points. I also have a 22 hornet barrel and a 22LR 26" with a match chamber.

David A. VanHorn
480-892-9630
Gilbert, AZ.

Dave is one of the Top TC gunsmith's in the World. He has built several TC rifles for me.

I would suggest just having him do a new barrel for your action. Why go to the trouble to sleeve a short barrel, when you can get one in 20". The plus is it will shoot better than any TC barrel you might have.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Most every Contender or Encore shooter who's really into it knows about Ed's Contenders, Mr. Van Horn, Bullberry, OTT, and Mike Bellm. Any can help you find or make a particular barrel but sometimes a particular chambering shows up in the 14" bull barrel configuration for little enough money to make the extension financially attractive. Twice, $125-150 (total cost) beat $200-250+ for my purposes. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For those not knowing, do not get caught with a short barrel on a Rifle TC stock. :wink:

The FED's don't like Contenders.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lefty Dude wrote:For those not knowing, do not get caught with a short barrel on a Rifle TC stock. :wink:

The FED's don't like Contenders.
Looks like they've solved all the terrorism, murders, rapes, and major thefts, then, and can afford to settle back and focus on things like Contenders with barrels an inch too short. :evil:

[/sarcasm]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

well beem finding barrels in the $100-$150 range, and the most i spend on them afterward is: when i send them to mike bellm to be rechambered. Have orderd 3 from t/c custom shop and for all the BS you about T/C barrels these will shoot 1MOA when i hold right. the 45 auto barrel only does 2-3 inches at 100 yards but it is just to much fun to shoot and let others try it at the range. Tho it opens a few eyes when i smack the little gong at 200yds every so often, seem like it takes 3 seconds to hit out there after you here the shot:)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know that if I came across a bull barrel of 14-15 inches in 9x19 or .45 ACP for little money I'd put one of the extensions on it. Fun is what that is! (of course you could put a permanent suppressor mount on the .45 ACP barrel, talk about FUN!) :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just saw that EABCO will make you a 9mm Luger barrel for the Encore, in rifle length...!

Other than using with a suppressor to dispatch feral cats sitting under the porch swing a little old lady is rocking on, I'm not sure what that setup would be for, but it is rather interesting. I'll bet it actually IS accurate and quiet, if you work up a 'rifle' load for the little cartridge.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:I just saw that EABCO will make you a 9mm Luger barrel for the Encore, in rifle length...!

Other than using with a suppressor to dispatch feral cats sitting under the porch swing a little old lady is rocking on, I'm not sure what that setup would be for, but it is rather interesting. I'll bet it actually IS accurate and quiet, if you work up a 'rifle' load for the little cartridge.
Any of the aforementioned custom barrel makers including the TC Custom shop will produce a rifle length barrel for the 9x19 or .45 ACP. The cost is what stops most folks.

Personally, having a rifle (that is MORE likely to escape some sort of control) chambered for ammo that nobody might otherwise be able to LEGALLY use might be handy. You're just playing the odds.
Sincerely,

Hobie

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I just saw that EABCO will make you a 9mm Luger barrel for the Encore, in rifle length...!

Any of the aforementioned custom barrel makers including the TC Custom shop will produce a rifle length barrel for the 9x19 or .45 ACP. The cost is what stops most folks.

Personally, having a rifle (that is MORE likely to escape some sort of control) chambered for ammo that nobody might otherwise be able to LEGALLY use might be handy. You're just playing the odds.
If I had tons of 9mm ammo and wanted something to 'toy' with for little cost in powder and bullets, I'd get one just to see what I could do with it... 8)

I've been toying with buying another Encore barrel just because I need another receiver for my son (he loves the Muzzleloader barrel) and a walnut buttstock (Camo buttstock and walnut forend for my bull barrel DO look rather funny together :shock: ), and so the temptation to get another barrel is there. Probably I'll get a .35 Whelen, since with .357 Mag, .357 Max, and .35 Rem, I still (of course) need a faster way to push out those .358 projectiles... My other thought was a .444, since I 'only' have one .444 gun. Decisions, decisions.