Getting "Skins" back from South Africa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Getting "Skins" back from South Africa

Post by Bullard4075 »

Went hunting in SA in Feb and I am in the process of getting my skins back to be processed here in Montana. I know there is a period of time for pickling,salting and boxing and whatever else they do for shipment. Paying with a credit card through Loco has been far from simple either. I am working with Coppersmith to do the paperwork for Air Freight SA to Seattle and then Billings. The process has been a real pain except for the exceptional moderation from Tracy at Coppersmith in Seattle. The time difference (as I write this 10:48pm here - 6:48am SA) is another toe stubber.

O Well I'm blessed regardless Sharps
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Getting "Skins" back from South Africa

Post by Paladin »

Sorry the GOV is raining on your hunt I have worked with some customs people, they were backlogged, did not have a very good attitude, and many don't like hunters. Even bringing meat back from Alaska to the lower 48 can be a pain. Good luck with your attempts.
It is not the critic who counts
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I hunt Alaska every year and have not had the first problem. On all my trips driving through Canada and back I have yet to have the first problem Customs or otherwise. British Customs was a breeze, South Africa Customs was a breeze. This skins thing not a major problem just series of minor headaches. Regardless I'm still blessed. sharps
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

A hidden cost in a safari is the trophy shipping/ logistics. I went with modest skull mounts and a zebra rug so didn’t have a huge taxidermy bill. As it turned out however, the air freight from Africa and expediting fees for customs/ bonded warehouse/ shipping within US cost more than the taxidermy itself.

I knew it wasn’t going to be cheap but trophy shipping and logistics was the one area of the hunt that I wasn’t able to get an estimate on ahead of time and be prepared for. Still it was a small percentage of the overall trip and worth it in the end. I enjoy walking by the horns everyday and when I see the zebra laying on the living room floor.

Even if you are having taxidermy done in the US, you are still paying for dip and pack in Africa. Or if you choose to just take good photos and not do taxidermy, they charge you a VAT if you don’t export a part of the animal as a trophy. Bottom line they are getting you to pay something no matter which option you choose.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"Even if you are having taxidermy done in the US, you are still paying for dip and pack in Africa. Or if you choose to just take good photos and not do taxidermy, they charge you a VAT if you don’t export a part of the animal as a trophy. Bottom line they are getting you to pay something no matter which option you choose." Thanks JRD, I didn't know about the VAT.

It's a modest amount that I'm shipping but it still a significant cost. I don't mean to be whining I would do it again in a second, it's just another learning experience. To those here on the forum who have been to Africa a bazillion times....I can hear you chuckling. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeff Cooper
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

A good friend booked a safari through the same outfitter I used based in part on how happy I was with my experience. My friend has a little more disposable income than I do and he shot up the place with his son. He let his son shoot a giraffe... and they are getting a neck mount. I can't wait until he finds out what it will cost to ship that to the US. Based on sharing my limited experience, he knows he's in for a big bill.

I believe the VAT was something like 18% in South Africa. If you shot something and didn't want to export it, they charged you 18% on the trophy fee.