Crossdraw for concealed carry?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Crossdraw for concealed carry?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Anyone prefer this to appendix/kidney/small-of-back on strong side? What are the concealed challenges?
JimT
Shootist

Re: Crossdraw for concealed carry?

Post by JimT »

WARNING! THESE ARE MY OPINIONS ONLY AND SHOULD BE READ AS SUCH. NO ONE NEED AGREE WITH ME!

Small of the back is one of the worst places to carry. Telegraphs intentions easily. Prints easily. More than likely you will be pointing it at yourself when making a panic draw in a bad situation.

I don't like the appendix carry. Pointed at the femoral artery and other valuable bits. Makes me uncomfortable. Many will disagree and that is fine. I won't do it.

Crossdraw can work for either hand. When everything goes pear-shaped your strong hand may not be working. Can you get your gun going weak-handed? Something to consider.

Weather permitting, a shoulder holster is a nice option.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When working 24-hr retail pharmacies in bad neighborhoods, I carried a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder rig I guess I'd describe as 'cross-draw'.

Creepy cuz it was pointing a chambered and cocked (condition one) gun at whoever was behind me, but where I worked from 11 pm to 7 am it was just me in back at the counter and a cashier at the front of the store.

Prior to splurging for the 1911 I carried a Super Blackhawk in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig. Huge, but set right nice under a white coat... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the X15 .. bought one back in the 1980's and still use it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I really like the feel of a crossdraw holster for carrying, but it is limited by clothing you wear. It either requires a jacket or shirt untucked to cover it and if it's summer it's not easy for me to do either. I'm usually in a Tee shirt in the summer, so then my carry gun position is inside the waistband, and on my strong side, not in front or behind me.
When I hunt with a rifle I always carry crossdraw exposed and love the easy access, plus my rifle over my shoulder never bumps my handgun!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I like crossdraw. I had a right shoulder replacement. I can draw right side but crossdraw is easier for me. I carry a S&W 3" 686+. Absolutely love it more than my semi autos.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I find myself, more and more, carrying my revolver in appendix. Its sort of cross draw, just not all the over. It conceals much better in that position and is FAST to get too
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas.
Jim, I share your concerns (and Massad Ayoob's) about appendix carry. I have read that small of the back has been banned by a lot of police agencies for the damage to the spine that can occur if you should happen to fall flat on the weapon.
I tend to favor carrying just behind the right hip for comfort and reasonably easy concealment. An IWB here is probably optimal, but I hate to buy jeans with a larger waist size just to accommodate this holster style. I know: lay off the beers and the ice cream. :lol:
I haven't worn a shoulder holster much -- and like Doc, once had an X-15 for an SBH. Never found one very comfortable and the ones designed for horizontal carry do point the weapon at anyone or anything behind you, which I think is at least impolite, if not wrong.
I'm thinking I will make a crossdraw as a hunting holster for the Bisley, and a small, high forward rake for the Bulldog for behind the hip.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I tried crossdraw when I was a police officer working plainclothes and it is really handy in a car. But I found that it was better for me to pick one position and stick with it. For me, that’s just behind my right hip bone. Generally in a Bruce Nelson Summer Special.

This is not your question, but when carrying a heavy hunting revolver, I think crossdraw makes a lot of sense. It is handy from the saddle and gets the gun out of the way.

Don’t point any pistol at a part of your body that you don’t want perforated. Imagine grappling with someone who gets their hands on the grip of a pistol in the front of your britches and pulling the trigger as soon as their finger can touch it.

Not good.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, Massad explains the catastrophic soft tissue damage that WILL OCCUR should you have an accident with the appendix position -- even if you miss your femoral artery. NO BUENO! :shock:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I haven’t read anything that Mass has written on the subject but I know what a contact wound looks like!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:35 pm Anyone prefer this to appendix/kidney/small-of-back on strong side? What are the concealed challenges?
Thanks for starting this one. Been wanting to pick some brains here myself. Got a custom crossdraw being made now for my new SAA. It's a 5 1/2, so I thought cd might be better for a long bbl. I too like 4 o'clock for my 4 to 4 5/8 bbls. Wanting to have a bandelero type made soon for hanging at the back door for four legged prowlers.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've posted many times here my preference for cross draw. For all the reasons mentioned by others. Frequently when this is brought up someone not properly schooled in the use of cross draw starts telling the world how unsafe and just plain wrong it is.

So be it. I've used cross draw almost exclusively for over 40 years. I've never shot myself, or anyone else unintentionally.

To those who complain about pointing the weapon at others while drawing, learn to do it correctly.

To those who say it's easier to snatch. You're welcome to try, but you have to be facing me to do it, good luck with that.

I could go on and on, but like anything else you pay your money and take your choice.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

the X-15 for the 1911 is just about perfect. But, when I wore 32" jeans an IWB just behind the right hip was just as good, didn't require a coat... now that the waist has expanded a bit, a xdraw is good, but I still find a strongside holster on the pants belt the most comfortable... Open carry is ok, but I'll still wear a regular t-short tucked in and a loose long sleeve t-shirt untucked to protect my arms from the sun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:25 pm I've posted many times here my preference for cross draw. For all the reasons mentioned by others. Frequently when this is brought up someone not properly schooled in the use of cross draw starts telling the world how unsafe and just plain wrong it is.

So be it. I've used cross draw almost exclusively for over 40 years. I've never shot myself, or anyone else unintentionally.
I’m not one who thinks that it’s unsafe or ineffective.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:04 pm
jeepnik wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:25 pm I've posted many times here my preference for cross draw. For all the reasons mentioned by others. Frequently when this is brought up someone not properly schooled in the use of cross draw starts telling the world how unsafe and just plain wrong it is.
I’m not one who thinks that it’s unsafe or ineffective.
Nor I. Ever since SASS went to two handguns in the mid '90's, I've used a x-draw for the 2nd gun. Usually making it the first gun I draw. My wife, who only shot cowboy action for 7-8 years, being relatively "short waisted", exclusively used a x-draw holster. Even today, with a bit of "shade over the garage," I find the x-draw the most convenient and comfortable holster to draw from and reholster into. Especially with the longer barrels of my 1851s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

What you practice becomes what you are good at.
When I shot Cowboy Action I always shot the left gun with the left hand and the right gun with the right hand. Part of that was conditioning myself to shoot well with the left hand so that in a situation that went bad and my right hand was injured/nonoperative I could still function well.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:05 pm What you practice becomes what you are good at.
When I shot Cowboy Action I always shot the left gun with the left hand and the right gun with the right hand. Part of that was conditioning myself to shoot well with the left hand so that in a situation that went bad and my right hand was injured/nonoperative I could still function well.
That’s a good idea Jim. I commonly shoot some with my left hand but your method would force one to step up his game.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

My primary is a Bianchi 101-16 for my Glocks from G43 to G21, also comes in size 101-10 for 1911's. Got an Andrews Car Jacker cross draw for the 43 and G19 size that's perfect for wearing in a car in case of, you guessed it, a carjacking! For non-concealment, I go with a Diamond D Guides Choice that kinda mimics the old 1911 chest carry, comes with an extra mag pouch on the strap that goes over the left shoulder or loops for 6 additional rounds. Got one of those for a G19, G21 and for my Ruger New Vaquero in .357.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cross-draw is one of the most comfortable carry methods for me, though my "dad-bod" stomach is not helping. I won't carry appendix-style; for the safety reasons above, but also because it is just horrendously uncomfortable to me. Small of the back and shoulder holsters are not permitted when I'm working security; I'm fine with the ban on the former but do like a shoulder holster. Otherwise, it is OWB behind the right hip 95% of the time.